• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Exposed Firearm permit

jwang328i

imported post

I am a California Licensed Private Investigator with BSIS issued Exposed Firearm permit. While on duty 24/7, I am allowed to carry loaded firearm exposed on the holster. Problem I’ve been running into lately is that while conducting investigation, I may have to meet witnesses at the restaurant. One time someone called the local Police officers, where I was mistakenly thought to be some crazy person with a gun. I had to do the full “on the ground, and handcuffs” before I can even explain to the officer that I am an exposed firearm permit holder.

I’ve asked the same police officer if I am allowed to cover my gun in the holster with the suit jacket while inside the public restaurant to avoid this kind of mistakes, and the answer was “No” since that will be considered conceal carry.

Another time I was outside conducting investigations with my gun fully exposed, but had a jacket on since I was cold. Police officers who were responding to a 911 call, saw me on the side carrying a gun holster, but butt of the gun was slightly getting covered by my jacket. The officer went all crazy threatening to report me to the BSIS saying that I was concealing a handgun.

While conducting surveillance in the car, I was approached by two police officers. One approached me from the driver side, and another one from the passenger side. While talking to the driver side police officer, passenger side police officer saw that I had a gun on the holster, and he freaked out. He immediately pulled the gun on me screaming “Don’t Move.” That little misunderstanding took 4 police cars, and 8 police officers to clarify who I was, and the reason for carrying a gun. Thanks to that little show, my cover was blown, and I was fired by my client the next day.

Exposed or Concealed… having a gun just makes any police officer nervous not knowing who you are.

I seriously think either this exposed firearm permit will get me killed or get me in some deep trouble.

Badge is not an option since PI’s can't carry a badge that can mislead people into think that I am a LEO, and winning the lotto is higher than getting a CCW in Los Angeles.

Either way, I am in deep for having this exposed permit.

:banghead:

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I think you arewell advised notto carry exposed if not in uniform. The whole purpose of not being in uniform is to be less conspicuous but carrying a firearm makes you conspicuous.

Leave the gun at home if you can't get a CC permit.

Incidentally, you might be able to get a CC permit if you gave it some effort. Check out calccw.org. You would seem to a good candidate anyway. Expect to have to put some effort into it and maybe some bucks.

mvpel

imported post

He's REQUIRED BY LAW to carry openly, as it's an EXPOSED firearm permit.

The abject stupidity of this situation would be laughable, if it weren't for the grave danger to this fellow's life and livelihood posed by knucklehead-McSpazzatron police officers.

Jared

imported post

You could sue the officers involved in both cases. For the one where you were fired it would be reasonable to demand all fees associated with hiring you as well as attorney costs and fees for violating your civil rights under the color of the law.

California issued you a statewide Exposed Firearm Permit, they did not issue you a license to have a felony stop on you and then let you go.

The proper response would be to approach you and ask you if you are legally carrying exposed and if so to produce the proper license.

You should seriously look into this, they are costing you your livelyhood and you should start demanding their livelyhood to compensate for your losses here.

mvpel

imported post

That said, probably the very first thing you ought to have said to the driver-side cop is "I'm a licensed PI, I have a license to carry, and I'm armed." Wouldn't have prevented the passenger-side knucklehead-McSpazzatron freak-out, necessarily, but might have caused things to play out a little differently.

gravedigger

imported post

Cops in California are so conditioned to believe that EVERYONE has been disarmed by the liberals that when they encounter someone with a gun, they automatically switch to "Brain-Dead Knee-Jerk Reaction" mode. There is an expression in this state. "The only reason some California cops catch some criminals, is because some California cops are slightly less stupid than some criminals." I support the theory of local law enforcement, but sadly, in practice here in this state, it is almost laughable.

My mom's home was burglarized while she was home a few months ago. We had an EYE WITNESS. The S.D. sheriff's investigation consisted of calling the woman identified as the person who entered the house and asking her over the phone if she took my mom's purse, $1,000.00 in cash and a cellular phone. The woman said, "No, I didn't take anything." END OF INVESTIGATION. I could go into more detail but I'd probably break my keyboard while pounding out the unbelievable insanity of the whole situation.

J.A.G.

imported post

mvpel wrote:
That said, probably the very first thing you ought to have said to the driver-side cop is "I'm a licensed PI, I have a license to carry, and I'm armed."  Wouldn't have prevented the passenger-side knucklehead-McSpazzatron freak-out, necessarily, but might have caused things to play out a little differently.

+1 to that statement. That should have been the first thing out of your mouth. It sucks, and I wouldn't want to have to do it either, but in this city, at this point in time, it is necessary. good luck with whatever you end up doing.