• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

TN open carry with out of state CCW?

ahemsa

imported post

This is a question that is a little bit strange maybe and something that is hard to search for. As I understand it TN issues a license for concealed OR open carry. I live in KY which has free open carry and concealed carry via permit. I have a KY concealed permit which I see that TN honors. Would TN then honor my KY CCW as a license to carry open in their state?

I have a concealed license but carry openly most of the time. I am getting ready to go on vacation next week in TN, specifically Crossville, and would like to carry open there as well but I'm not looking for trouble.

Thoughts?

Fallguy

imported post

Yes, you can OC in TN with a KY CCW.

In fact you can OC in TN with permit/license from any state.

Maybe someone that lives in the Crossville area will chime in with how familiar the LEO's in that area are with OC.

ahemsa

imported post

It just seemed a little gray to me. I know that they would honor it for concealed, just didn't want to bump into any problems for open carry.

Fallguy

imported post

TN honors out-of-state permits as if they were issued by TN

T.C.A. 39-17-1351(r)(1)

A facially valid handgun permit, firearms permit, weapons permit or license issued by another state shall be valid in this state according to its terms and shall be treated as if it is a handgun permit issued by this state; provided, however, the provisions of this subsection (r) shall not be construed to authorize the holder of any out-of-state permit or license to carry, in this state, any firearm or weapon other than a handgun.

Which means you can OC or CC. Also that you can only carry a Handgun and no other weapon regardless of what your individual state permit/license may let you carry.

ahemsa

imported post

Hmm... What I consider a pocket knife might would be considered a weapon by some.

ahemsa

imported post

I get a lot of comments on it here at work as being a little bit of overkill for a pocket knife. It gets the job done, that's what matters to me.

uspsmark

imported post

Fallguy wrote:
TN honors out-of-state permits as if they were issued by TN

T.C.A. 39-17-1351(r)(1)

A facially valid handgun permit, firearms permit, weapons permit or license issued by another state shall be valid in this state according to its terms and shall be treated as if it is a handgun permit issued by this state; provided, however, the provisions of this subsection (r) shall not be construed to authorize the holder of any out-of-state permit or license to carry, in this state, any firearm or weapon other than a handgun.

The Virginia Concealed Handgun permit is not "a facially valid handgun permit" by strict definition. We are required to carry a photo ID in conjunction with our permit. Would this be acceptable in TN or not?

Fallguy

imported post

By "facially valid" I believe all that means is as long asyou can legally carry a handgun in whatever state it is issued from and is not expired.

I know several people from VA that carry in TN.