• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

National Forest Areas

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

I have a letter to the Regional Forester (Linda Goodman) on this issue and have asked for specific areas that weapons are prohibited and how a "Local Order" gets enacted. I'll post my findings when I get a response.

Weapons on National Forest Lands
If you are planning on visiting a designated Wilderness Area, the Regional Forester or Forest Supervisor has the option to implement a special local order which additionally prohibits the mere possession of a firearm within that Wilderness Area. Both state and federal laws apply on National Forest System lands, so you also need to check on the state laws and county ordinances which may apply to the area you will be visiting. The only regulations specific to use of weapons imposed by the Forest Service is that you cannot discharge a weapon within 150 yards of any structure/development or occupied area, within or into a cave, across or on a road or body of water, or in any manner that endangers a person. You also cannot use any tracer or incendiary ammunition. Forest Service regulations require that you also comply with all State laws regarding the use of firearms while hunting.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/people.htm
USDA Forest Service - Pacific Northwest Region
Directory List - As of February 7, 2008

Linda Goodman - Regional Forester, 503-808-2200; Fax: 503-808-2210
* Executive Assistant - Tracey Harris-Woods, 503-808-2204
* Deputy Regional Forester - Cal Joyner, 503-808-2202
* Deputy Regional Forester - Liz Agpaoa, 503-808-2203

Contact us:
USDA Forest Service - Pacific Northwest Region
333 SW First Avenue, Portland, Oregon 97204-3440;
P.O. Box 3623, Portland, OR 97208-3623
Phone: 503-808-2468; Hours 7:45 to 4:30 PT

Dr. Fresh

imported post

Doesn't state preemption cover this? Wouldn't that mean Federal law, which doesn't forbid weapons, would be the only applicable law?

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

We are good to go on Washington State laws however the Regional Forester who may impose a "Local Order" is Federal and trumps state in this matter.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Specifically, I requested the following questions to be addressed: Are there any areas in the Pacific Northwest that firearms ARE NOT allowed in the National Forest? If so, what are these wilderness areas in Washington & Oregon? What causes a "Local Order" to be established in the wilderness area? Do rangers have the authority to establish these “Local Orders?”
The reply is back & it only took 3+ months.... Due to a issue with a Ranger who tried to inform me that my handgun was not allowed I wrote a letter to the Regional Forester and the current RF, Mary Wagner replied.

Basically it says that there is no local closure in ANY National Forest In Washington & Oregon that prohibits a firearm.

In order to institute a "Local Order." Each proposed local order would have to show the need for the action, along with the environmental effects of the action or alternatives to it. In additions, such decisions would be open to public review and comment. If the order was to affect only one National Forest the Forest Supervisor would have the authority.

As soon as I get the letter converted to a electronic format, I'll post it.

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
Specifically, I requested the following questions to be addressed: Are there any areas in the Pacific Northwest that firearms ARE NOT allowed in the National Forest? If so, what are these wilderness areas in Washington & Oregon? What causes a "Local Order" to be established in the wilderness area? Do rangers have the authority to establish these “Local Orders?”
The reply is back & it only took 3+ months.... Due to a issue with a Ranger who tried to inform me that my handgun was not allowed I wrote a letter to the Regional Forester and the current RF, Mary Wagner replied.

Basically it says that there is no local closure in ANY National Forest In Washington & Oregon that prohibits a firearm.

In order to institute a "Local Order." Each proposed local order would have to show the need for the action, along with the environmental effects of the action or alternatives to it. In additions, such decisions would be open to public review and comment. If the order was to affect only one National Forest the Forest Supervisor would have the authority.

As soon as I get the letter converted to a electronic format, I'll post it.
This will be going straight into the gun bag!

Thanks for making the effort.