• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Stepping Out Of Our Church Building While OCing

rottman43055

imported post

First a little back ground & I am not pushing religion here, its just this guys reaction was sofunny.

Recently Irented a small building on a main st.and started a non denominational Christian church in my town.

Unfortunately afterbeing there about two months I found a defect in the building thats going to require a lot of money to fix and the land lord said it would be next spring before he will be able to fix it. (in the mean time, it can't be used the way it is)

So, I'm left to decide weather to wait, or find another place & start over & with winter & gas bills on the way, I'll wait.

Anyway, last night at about 8:00 I went there for some quiet time.

I was all alone and wasOCing my xd45 on my right sideand had the small version of the K-Bar USMC knife on my other side. ( I OC 3 days per week so I can talk to folks who ask questions about carrying)

As I was getting ready to leave, the front door was open &I turned off all the lights which made it dark inside.

When I stepped out onto the sidewalk, I must have startled a man who was passing buy, because his eyes got very big and he "whoa, you look like you are ready for war!"

I laughed & told him, "No Sir, I'm very much a peaceful person".

Then he seen the church sign and said "You carry that into achurch!?!" (his look was priceless :lol:)

I smiled and said sure, and reminded him one of the last thing Jesus told his disciples to doin the gospel of Luke, was to arm themselves.

After a couple of minutes of talking to him, he seemed to think about it a minute & realize there is no conflict between faith and guns, but his initial reaction was very funny.

By the way, to me loving your neighbor is not a commandment for you or your familyto be the next statistic.

My personal view is that life is a gift, and it is worth defending from those who would rob or kill you or your family over nothing, and I hope I never have to.

All Americans, of faith or not, need to stand unitedtogether for our rights, especially the 1st, 2nd, 4th & 5th amendments of our bill of rights.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share this, this guy seemed pretty cool with it all.

Legba

imported post

You can carry into a house of worship in Ohio with the consent of the pastor/priest/rabbi/guru/whatever. No problems with either god's or man's law doing this inOhio.

-ljp

yom24hrday

imported post

Just to add that Peter carried what would be the equivalent of a "9mm" since he cut off the ear of the man in the garden the night of the Lord's betrayal, with a small sword. Now if the Lord didn't approve of being armed I am sure Peter would not have been.

Goodwir2

imported post

Well, it wasn't really stated it was Peter:

from Matthew: And, behold, one of them which were with Jesus stretched out his hand, and drew his sword, and struck a servant of the high priest, and smote off his ear.
From Mark:And one of them that stood by drew a sword, and smote a servant of the high priest, and cut off his ear.
from Luke: When they which were about him saw what would follow, they said until him, Lord, shall we smit with the sword, And one of them smote the servant of the high priest and cut off his right ear.

Only in John do we see Simon Peter's name mentioned; Then Simon Peter having a sword drew it, and smote the high priest's servant, and cut off his right ear. The servant's name was Malchus.

But your concept is right. Jesus preached peace, love thy neighbor, and yet, he warned the disciples to "arm themselves" as they went forward to teach.

smithman

imported post

Some people say that Jesus telling Peter in the book of Matthew "those who use the sword shall die by the sword" is a warning against Christians arming themselves. That interpretation is seriously flawed!!

The comment was directed at Peter since he used his sword wrongly and resisted God's plan. Also the comment shows how much danger the wrongful sword use had put all the disciples as the armed guards had all the reason now to slay all the disciples on the spot. It is good to point this out to people who believe the wrong interpretation.

Indeed, Jesus told the disciples to give up their cloaks to obtain a sword! Commentaries on the bible show how important a cloak was in Jesus' time. Yet he tells his disciples to give up one of their most important things to arm themselves!

Heartless_Conservative

imported post

Some people say that Jesus telling Peter in the book of Matthew "those who use the sword shall die by the sword" is a warning against Christians arming themselves. That interpretation is seriously flawed!!
I've always heard it worded 'those who live by by the sword' which to me is pretty clearly refering to criminals and brigands. The Bible (both the Old and New Testements) is full of righteous smiting.

Goodwir2

imported post

Other versions (other than KJ) have different wording, such as "Those who take up the sword shall..." (Good News Bible).

I particularly like this phrase: But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one. For I say to you that this which is written must still be accomplished in Me: 'And He was numbered with the transgressors.' For the things concerning Me have an end." So they said, "Lord, look, here are two swords." And He said to them, "It is enough." -Luke 22:35-38

In the days of Jesus, the sword was perhaps the most powerful weapon that could be carried and used easily (yes, archers, I know the bow was more powerful - BUT could you use it in a crowded space?). Jesus admonished his followers to buy a sword, for their own protection. But in a country what was overrun with Roman soldiers (the ultimate police of the era) why not just expect safety from them? Same reason as today -- when ever you need one, there just ain't one around, and waiting 10 minutes for one to respond when called seems pretty foolhardy when some badguy is breaking down your door.

KBCraig

imported post

I particularly like this phrase: But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one. For I say to you that this which is written must still be accomplished in Me: 'And He was numbered with the transgressors.' For the things concerning Me have an end." So they said, "Lord, look, here are two swords." And He said to them, "It is enough." -Luke 22:35-38
I like this translation:

"Load up, boys, things are about to get rough from here on out!"
-Luke 22:35, The Cowboy Edition

(I don't know that there is such a translation, but it's inevitable given the growing number of cowboy churches. ;) )