• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

GLOCK or Springfield XD?

erich_kopp

imported post

I'm looking for a second firearm, What is a better firearm? Pros and Cons? Glock G22 or G23.40 cal or a Springfield XD .40 cal or XDM .40 cal.

arms_libertas

imported post

I own and shoot both (Glock 23 &XD .405" service model). I prefer the XD. Especially when you get low on rounds in the magazine. To me the Glock becomes far more nose heavy and muzzle control is more of a problem when the magazine gets low. I should point out I onlyOC the XD, Idon't think I would everCC it. If you were going to CC, the Glock slimmer form factor may have some benefit.

d0od

imported post

I picked a XD (9 not 40 though). I did'nt like the way the Glock felt when I shot it, grip angle mostly. I also think the Glock is ugly (not that it really matters). I would say rent em both and see what one you shoot better. The Marksman in Puyallup has free rentals on Wed, just gotta pay range fee and buy their rounds.

scoobydoo6906

imported post

you should try an XD-45, I like XD's alot better than glocks. the main thing glock really has on an XD is trigger reset and maybe the finish on them. the finish is a lot better on XD's now than the old ones. maybe look at the XDm they are pretty nice to

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

This is an oft debated topic. The topic came up in the "Can anyone convince me not to get an XD" thread:
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum5/13377-1.html

I'll cut and past what I said in that thread as to why I prefer the XD. Remember, the gun that feels best in your hand, aims the most naturally and meets all your needs is the best gun for you regardless of brand.

PREVIOUS POST:

Ok, I'll bite with my opinion (and only my opinion which is worth as much as you paid for it):

I think the XD has 6 improvements over the Glock:

1) Backstrap safety (although some see it as a liability). I like having the extra passive safety. It is called "Glock leg" for a reason.

2) Traditional take down system. I do not like Glock's take down system. While there are 2 recommended methods of take down I am aware and neither require your hand be in front of the muzzle, I see most people using a method that puts their hand in front of the muzzle or causes them to point the muzzle at their body which I find to be troubling on a firearm which requires the trigger be pulled to disassemble. My experiences obviously may not be representative.

3) All models in all calibers have fully supported chambers and have had from the beginning.

4) The ramp rests on and is supported by the locking block rather than the magazine lip as in the Glock. Paired with the fully supporte chambers, in the case of an in-chamber cartridge failure, it is more likely that the chamber will contain the explosion.

5) More natural grip angle. While many obviously like or don't mind the Glock grip angle, many find their natural aim with it to point high. While this can be corrected with front sight height or practice, the XD has a more natural grip angle for many.

6) Perhaps the least discussed feature of the XD, although it is a patented feature on the pistol, is the slight extension of the guide rod/recoil spring assembly face beyond the muzzle [SEE CORRECTION BELOW] (tactical models have a guide rod/recoil spring whereas the service and subcompact models have a recoil spring assembly). The face sticks out about 1/8" past the slide/muzzle. The design purpose of this is to allow full lock up into battery after a contact shot while maintaining contact. A feature that certainly rarely comes into play, however, in the case of a hand to hand struggle for your life it may be the factor that allows the follow-up shot and saves your life.

EDITED: Correction as to #6 - the guide rod on the tactical models does not stick out that far and I obviously misremembered as to that issue. My apologies for any confusion my mis-statement may have caused. The original HS-2000 on which the XD is based was only made in what is now called the "service" (4") model and had this feature. I looked for the actual patent which I have seen before, I think linked from XDtalk, but am unable to locate it. I did find this information regarding the design:

"Springfield advertising literature calls this a "muzzle protector", but the original text of patent WO02059539, published in August 01, 2002 and granted to the Croatian design team, describes the reason for this feature as to "enable firing the bullet when the pistol is pushed towards someone's back". This is "necessary" because HS2000, as almost any other modern pistol, has a disconnector safety that does not permit the release of the striker if the slide is not fully closed and locked to the barrel, and such situation can be easily encountered in circumstances described in the quote." http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg48-e.htm

civil_lib

imported post

I've carried a Glock 23 for over 15 years. I bought a SA XDM a couple of months ago. I have to say that the accuracy of the XDM is tremendous. My groups have shrunk by ~ 30%. I appreciate the changeable backstraps. To my surprise, the smaller backstrap actually fit my hands better. (I have large hands.) The only thing I don't like is the sharp outside edge on the rear sight. The Acro-tek on the Glock is much less abrasive. I'm planning on getting a new rear sight, and probably a trigger job - although the trigger on the XDM is OK, just not great. It is significantly heavier than the Glock.

I've probably put about 500 rounds through the XDM without a failure to function. It seems less sensitive to a lighter grip than the Glock. (My wife doesn't like the Glock because she doesn't hold her wrist stiff, and she gets ejection failures.)

g23guy

imported post

I recommend going to a range and renting both of the guns. Shoot with both of them and then decide which one is more comfortable for you. I have fired both and think they are great guns but I went with the g23. It just feels better in my hand.

s2ua7

imported post

Definitly go to a range and rent both to shoot... Do this several times. I bought an XD myself, but I did this based on research. I bought it due to the safeties that it had on it (Grip safety and trigger safety) although with the new safety that the XD-M has on it I wish I had waited and bought it, but I'm still happy with the hand gun that I purchased. Do your research and then test them out at the range, its better to try a gun several times at a range and then buy it than to just blindly trust people that post on the forums although people can testify to the duribility/reliability of the guns, only the purchaser can deside on the feel of the gun :) good luck :)

Huck

imported post

The Glock and XD are both excellent pistols though I prefer (and own)the XD45. I find thatthe XD's grip is better suited, for me,when it comes to pointing than the Glock's sharp angled grip.

You could'nt go wrong with either one but do as some others here have suggested and try them both out and see which one works bestfor you.

Dustin

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
This is an oft debated topic. The topic came up in the "Can anyone convince me not to get an XD" thread:
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum5/13377-1.html

I'll cut and past what I said in that thread as to why I prefer the XD. Remember, the gun that feels best in your hand, aims the most naturally and meets all your needs is the best gun for you regardless of brand.

PREVIOUS POST:

Ok, I'll bite with my opinion (and only my opinion which is worth as much as you paid for it):

I think the XD has 6 improvements over the Glock:

1) Backstrap safety (although some see it as a liability). I like having the extra passive safety. It is called "Glock leg" for a reason.

2) Traditional take down system. I do not like Glock's take down system. While there are 2 recommended methods of take down I am aware and neither require your hand be in front of the muzzle, I see most people using a method that puts their hand in front of the muzzle or causes them to point the muzzle at their body which I find to be troubling on a firearm which requires the trigger be pulled to disassemble. My experiences obviously may not be representative.

3) All models in all calibers have fully supported chambers and have had from the beginning.

4) The ramp rests on and is supported by the locking block rather than the magazine lip as in the Glock. Paired with the fully supporte chambers, in the case of an in-chamber cartridge failure, it is more likely that the chamber will contain the explosion.

5) More natural grip angle. While many obviously like or don't mind the Glock grip angle, many find their natural aim with it to point high. While this can be corrected with front sight height or practice, the XD has a more natural grip angle for many.

6) Perhaps the least discussed feature of the XD, although it is a patented feature on the pistol, is the slight extension of the guide rod/recoil spring assembly face beyond the muzzle [SEE CORRECTION BELOW] (tactical models have a guide rod/recoil spring whereas the service and subcompact models have a recoil spring assembly). The face sticks out about 1/8" past the slide/muzzle. The design purpose of this is to allow full lock up into battery after a contact shot while maintaining contact. A feature that certainly rarely comes into play, however, in the case of a hand to hand struggle for your life it may be the factor that allows the follow-up shot and saves your life.

EDITED: Correction as to #6 - the guide rod on the tactical models does not stick out that far and I obviously misremembered as to that issue. My apologies for any confusion my mis-statement may have caused. The original HS-2000 on which the XD is based was only made in what is now called the "service" (4") model and had this feature. I looked for the actual patent which I have seen before, I think linked from XDtalk, but am unable to locate it. I did find this information regarding the design:

"Springfield advertising literature calls this a "muzzle protector", but the original text of patent WO02059539, published in August 01, 2002 and granted to the Croatian design team, describes the reason for this feature as to "enable firing the bullet when the pistol is pushed towards someone's back". This is "necessary" because HS2000, as almost any other modern pistol, has a disconnector safety that does not permit the release of the striker if the slide is not fully closed and locked to the barrel, and such situation can be easily encountered in circumstances described in the quote." http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg48-e.htm

Great Advice !

I too vote for the XD series but more specifically the New XDM.

I like the added weight of the XD's which improve on follow up shots. Glocks are just so dang light, they kick more no matter what caliber your shooting thru it.

The XD/XDM triggers are much better IMO as well.

Just yesterday I went to the range and fired at least two mags a piecethoughthe following.

Glock 26, Glock 32, Glock 22

XD - 45 ACP, XD-40 4'', XD 45 Tactical 5'' and my XDM (100 rounds) :D

Springfield 1911 GI, Colt 357 Mag Revolver

S&W MP - SUCKS !!!!

Hands Down the XD series feels more solid, and more ergonomically fitted.

All XD's come with Ambidexrous Mag release buttons, Striker indicators, and round in chamber indicators.

SpringfieldsCustomer Service is nothing short of AMAZING. Lifetime Warranty on the Gun, not the owner of the gun. Free shipping for any repairs on stock parts.

Now don't get me wrong, I'd trust my life with a Glock anyday, but if I'm choosing one or the other, it will be a Springfield EVERYTIME !

Now this might not mean much to you, but I HATE PULLING THE TRIGGER to breakdown the Glock. I also HATE the way it breaks down.

My XDM breakdown goes like this.

Lock slide to rear, push up breakdown lever, let slide go forward. THE END !

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have fired a few Glocks in my life, (not many) some of them hurts my hand when I fire them, and some do not. I really do not like the pistol myself. I did however fire a Glock my friend owned and it was not too bad, but it was not anything I feel I must add to my collection anytime soon.

Both there Glocks and XD's arevery popular in self defence carry, so you really can't go wrong with either one you may choose. It all comes down to how you perform with eitherof these gun. How they feel to your hand when you fire it, the weight of the gun loaded, the trigger pull and reset, the sights, the disassembly and reassembly methods, looks, ( I like a good looking gun even though I have a ugly one also).

But anyway I have the XD and the XDm both in .40cal and I find my XDm on my hip 99.9% of the time.

I did a trigger test with both the XD and the XDm and I found the Old XD will fire first, do to the trigger brake closer to the front of the trigger pull, while the XDm had a longer distance between the trigger brake to fire the pistol,but that gave the XDm a shorter reset and a faster 2nd shot. The XDm trigger is not as long and the old XD. and I found I like the XDm far better than the old XD, the serrations on the slide gives me a sure grip even with my slippery finger on my weakfrom cleaning the weapon.

Both XDs are really accurate, but with the XDm a bit longer it may offer more velocity.

I really can't say much about the Glocks being that I do not own one, but lots of people have them and theytrust them with their life.

MetalChris

imported post

I have an XD-45 Service and love it. However, when the time comes to get a sub-compact I'll probably get either a Glock 26 or 27. I've fired the 27 and really like it.

yeahYeah

imported post

I carry an XD9 service and will soon have an XD9 Sub compact also. My wife has a sub compact and it's a great gun. Accurate as heck. Very comfortable to use also.

IMHO, Glocks feel like 2x4's in my hand.

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

OK so today I got a chance to shoot my friends 2Glocks. So I will give my opinion on these two guns.I am not sure what number they were, ( andnot going to look them up now) but one was a sub-compact .40cal and the other was a 10mm. Both of these guns are really accurate. They shot really accurately, even better than my XDmwith the cheap ammo. I could not hit anything with my XDm itwas firing low/right. BUT when I loaded SD ammo it was shooting dead center. With the cheep BLAZE ammo it was shooting crap.

Well anyway again the 10mm hurt my hand when i fired the pistol. I noticed that the joint of my thumb was sitting behind thepistol, so when I fired the gun it hurt my hand. On the 40.cal it was not bad, do to it being smaller.

The 10mm had an added safety on it, which was good to have for storage, but I think for carry it could be trouble, or a problem to engage in a hurry. But it is a good ideafor pistol storage.

The .40cal had night sights and, lets just say I will be getting me somenight sights also. They worked awesome under low light, anyone that carries at night should invest in some.

NOw to the triggers, I did a comparison of the Glock's triggers to my XD and XDm and the Glock had a better trigger than both of my XD's. It was a steady pull, and the reset was closer to the rear than both XD's triggers, and the Glock would also fire before the XD's. We did speed drills, and the Glock fired really fast. I was surprise as to how quick he could fire that thing, and when I fired my XDm, I missed a trigger reset a few times.The reset was too far forward. However when I did hit the reset it was still a quick double tap, but at times I missed it.

Recoil on both the XDm and the Glock .40cal felt good, like I could shoot all day. The XDm did fall back on line quickly, not directly on target but close enough to get an effective shoot off.

SO with that said, I just want to tell you to really take a close look at the Glocks, they are nice really well thought out and constructedguns, I have always not liked them, but after tonight and shooting oneI am a convert and I think there are some that are nice.