• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

GLOCK or Springfield XD?

Dustin

imported post

agentw0 wrote:
I have never shot a non LE Glock to compare trigger pull, but people tell me there is a BIG difference between the two.

I think I may invest in a new XD-M as well, I like the way they fit my hand and I have sold all of my 9mm Pistols so I am in need of a new 9

I got the XDM 40, but would love to have the 9mm too. 19+1 with NO extended mag. :p

agentw0

imported post

Dustin wrote:
agentw0 wrote:
I have never shot a non LE Glock to compare trigger pull, but people tell me there is a BIG difference between the two.

I think I may invest in a new XD-M as well, I like the way they fit my hand and I have sold all of my 9mm Pistols so I am in need of a new 9

I got the XDM 40, but would love to have the 9mm too. 19+1 with NO extended mag. :p

That's the one I was thinking about the 9mm 19+1, it's going to be a definite unless I can find the Beretta 92I am looking for here incouple weeks

Spectre

imported post

Dustin wrote:
Berreta 92 !?!?!?

I absolutely HATE that Pistol.

It doesn't hold a candle to the XDM.
Nice to know that's you're opinion. I for one prefer the Beretta 92FS, I own both an M9 and a 92FS stainless (not INOX, but made in Italy); and I think that they are the most accurate, reliable, and comfortable guns I have ever owned and shot.

redlegagent

imported post

I have a model 92fs that I got in 1992 and is still going strong. Functions flawlessly. I also have an XD-40 and my girlfriend has an XD-9. They feel better due to the ergodynamic design as the Beretta has a fat grip, but they are no more comfortable to shootor accurate than the Beretta with good ammo. :)

Dustin

imported post

Me and the 92 have a personal relationship of sorts. Aswith ANY Military member who had one issued to them.

Constant Magazine break down, unconsistent accuracy, and the grip was highly undesireable.

On Top of that, I don't care for 9mm's.

So for both tours overseas, I had to carry this lump of metal around on my leg b/c it was issued, and I never even dared to draw it, unless we were simply letting off some rounds before patrols. My Rifle was my only friend.

So I do despise the pistol, for more than one reason.

redlegagent

imported post

Dustin wrote:
"On Top of that, I don't care for 9mm's."

Sorry about your dislikes. The magazine situation I've heard about before. The pistol itself, it treated reasonably is very reliable. I was in the army for 8 years and worked for a time as an armourer. Suffice to say, despite all the training on weapons maintanence, many are not treated well and magazine cleaning is optional for many. The fact that you made the statement above also speaksvolumes. The fact that the 9mm has been killing people since WWI and is the most common caliber in the world for military and police will always be lost to some who live by the preconcieved notions that pistols are man stoppers. This is a fantasy perpetuated by hollywood in action movies. Pistols are close range defense weapons only and almost never "blow a man off their feet". To each their own I say. I have 9mm, .40S&W and .45acp pistols and feel comfortable defending myself with any of them. :)

Walleye

imported post

Dustin, thanks for elaborating - I've heard about the magazine issue many times. The story I hear is the magazines were made to very low standards; I read that most soldiers who were sent on a tour and assigned M9s should get quality aftermarket mags and it would be OK. The other story I heard was the Navy wasn't quite as fond of the M9 after a number of slide failures and went with the SIG P226 instead (+1 for SIG).

Of course, I know a Norwegian who has an Italian manufactured Beretta 92 and he claims the problem with the M9 is it's made in America. :lol:

Graymutt

imported post

first I love my XD, from the moment I shot it. Don't know what it is but it seems to fit well in my hands. Glocks are great pistols and I can hit the target but its not as natural as the XD.

Second, I hate, I mean truely hate the M9. I have shot them hundrendof timesover the yearsall of them sucked. I have not had a good experience with them. I have had new out of the box, and well broken in ones.

Dustin

imported post

redlegagent wrote:
The fact that the 9mm has been killing people since WWI and is the most common caliber in the world for military and police

Your not being entirely clear here. In Fact MOST departments, will not allow their officers to carry 9mm anymore for several reasons.

9mm's are considred HOT rounds, and tend to go thru and thru increasing the chance of an accidental shooting of an innocent person.

9mm's also do not carry nearly the amount of energy larger calibers carry.

And sure 9mm's have been killing people, so have 22's. Why not Issue's 22lr to LEO's and Soldiers ? You know why ;)

This is why I don't trust 9mm.

In Afghanistan we were providing security outside a village, in order to keep squirters from running away, while the other half of the company was clearing the village. We were in the village but on the outer skirt buildings.

Were literaly smoking and joking b/c this was the 3rd raid that day with no action. Then all of a sudden, POP ! POP ! POP ! POP !POP ! We all quickly turn around and see a skinny Afghan Taliban stublming towards us with an AK in his hands. In front of him was Doc Vasquez firing his "9mm" which jammed on the 5th round. About 3 of us fire each 3 to 4 shots dropping the insurgent.

That was the day I told myself that I would NEVER, depend on a 9mm for self protection, and I would NEVER own a Berreta.

4 of 5 shots from Doc's 9mm hit that guy, yet he was still coming. After his 5th shot the 92 had FTE/FTF stove pipe. They guys kept walking forward not ONLY b/c the 9mm doesn't pack the knock down power needed, but also b/c the Insurgent was high on Opium.

Eitherway, that's whyI said it's a personal issue to me on why I won't use 9mm's to defend, nor a Berreta 92. :cool:

Dustin

imported post

thx997303 wrote:
And do you trust 5.56?

Over 9mm, Yes. Any option beyond that would leave me Weaponless overseas. But I obviously don't carry a 5.56 chambered firearm for protection back in the states.

I don't think you thought out that question lol ! Just kidding ;)

The story is the reason I don't chose 9mm here at home. Not overseas.

At home I have options, in the military you don't.

But even the Military is making the move towards larger caliber handguns and rifles. Force Recon still issues the MC Operator 1911 .45 ACP.

redlegagent

imported post

Dustin wrote:
thx997303 wrote:
And do you trust 5.56?

Over 9mm, Yes. Any option beyond that would leave me Weaponless overseas. But I obviously don't carry a 5.56 chambered firearm for protection back in the states.

I don't think you thought out that question lol ! Just kidding ;)

The story is the reason I don't chose 9mm here at home. Not overseas.

At home I have options, in the military you don't.

But even the Military is making the move towards larger caliber handguns and rifles. Force Recon still issues the MC Operator 1911 .45 ACP.
I respect your decision Dustin, as a vet I understand. My point is don't condemn a weapon based upon exposure to a few military models. I worked as an armourer and know of the policy with some units to turn their weapons over to the relieving unit in theater. Many weapons are quite frankly dogged out or half assed rebuilt in theater. Replacement parts are haphazard in the military as pointed out which is sad because magazines were a class 9 expendable item yet units would retain beat up mags instead of ordering new ones. I am aware of the over penetration issue with ball type ammo. There are similar stories from WWII, Korea, and Vietnam about enemy combatants hyped up on opium etc. The fact remains that around the world, the 9mm is the most prevelent cartridge. I know the military is looking to replace the M-9. The .45acp is a good cartridge but people have been shot with them and gotten up to live another day as well. No handgun cartridge is a one shot drop unless you hit a vital area. You can bet the switch to .45acp if it happens will be an economic decision as much as a practical one as the caliber has been made here dirt cheap for a century. Personally, I think the .40S&W would be more practical. :)

agentw0

imported post

my personal experience with the M9 as well as the 92D has been favorable. I have not had any more malfunctions with them than any other weapon I have carried. I want a 92 for my collection, not to carry. You can't help the round that you shoot sometimes, based on your unit/department you are/were in? When I was overseas we carried 1911's not the M9, but I did have to qualify with an M9 and carry one for a period of time and I had no issues. I would always tear down the mags and clean them no matter what I was carrying.

Like I said I'm looking for one for my collection.

I also have a Ruger .45 P-97 DC I am looking to part with if anyone is interested.

panther549

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

I searched and couldn't find a reference. Has anyone put a Glock or an XD thru a L&R UltraSonic cleaner? I've got a Glock 19 that is in desperate need of a "good" cleaning and even tho' I've read somewhere thatGlock says it's OK, I'd like to know if someone's done it and what the result was before I drop mine in. But it did do one hell of job on my Mustang and my Security Six.I have to say I do like my Glock, but I'm leaning really hard toward a XDM 40. It's nice to have choices.

LMG

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

I carry a Glock 23 concealed. I have several M1911 pistols, as well as, a Glock 34 and a 26. The Glocks have never failed to feed or fire. I can't say that about any of my other semi-automatic pistols.

The Glocks will "eat" anything you feed them. If you do not clean them often, they don't care. My Kimber Ultra Carry however, must be fed only one type of round for consistent feeding. And it does need to be meticulously cleaned.

The trigger pull is very acceptable for a self defense weapon and the standard sights are quite good right out of the box. I don't make many modifications to my carry weapon so as it comes from the box it is very good. (I do prefer an extended magazine release rather than the standard release)

The Glock 23 is an easy shooter. I can shoot it all day, no problem. And that model Glock gives you the option of interchanging a .357 Sig barrel and magazine if you prefer that round. For about an extra $125 you have a weapon that can use either caliber, .40 or the .357 Sig.

So, if you want a tremendously reliable weapon that doesn't not require tender loving care, look closely at the Glock 23.

Semper Fi