• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ACLU is coming! Northwestern UP

redneckdan

imported post

Haven't been very active here but a fellow student spurred me into action. It seems that the michigan chapter of the ACLU is coming to Michigan Tech's campus to do a presentation about the constitution on sept 17th with special emphasis on the bill of rights. I wanted to spank them a bit during Q&A time in reference to their collective interpretation of the 2nd Amendment. Anyone else intrested in going? I can post more info.

northofnowhere

Campaign Veteran
imported post

got your email dan, welcome to the forums as well!

Looking forward to seeing you at the parade of nations OCing with us as well.

Get the details on the ACLU visit and I'll be there! Wether we OC which technically is legal on campus or jsut wear holsters we can discuss as well!

-northofnowhere

redneckdan

imported post

all the details

http://action.aclumich.org/site/Calendar?view=Detail&id=101681&JServSessionIdr012=pdq4wn7jw3.app5a

I'm not planning on wearing a pistol or holster. As per the MTU pistol club advisor....."
Code:
You should be aware that the Michigan Tech campus and other
MTU properties do not qualify as "state property" or "public
properties".  Under the Michigan constitution, MTU properties
belong to the Board of Control of MTU, and the rules of private
property apply, just as they do to the private property of
individuals or corporations.  Property rights generally trump
civil rights if you are on private property.  This is what
permits MTU to make rules and regulations that do in fact
restrict various civil rights.  On campus, the rules are
enforceable.

The MTU Board of Control is not a "local unit of government" as
described in the open carry web sites.  The preemption law does

not apply to MTU properties, therefore."

northofnowhere

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have actually open carried on campus without incident as there are no signs posted anywhere that relate to firearms. They are more then willing to ask me to leave though :)

edit: I should add my visits to campus are pretty limited and there may be signs on many buildings, I just have yet to find them.

redneckdan

imported post

I haven't seen any signs on campus. But as a student they've made it more than clear what their rules are. In addition to criminal law I also have to think about the possibility of being expelled from the university.

redneckdan

imported post

Its up to you what you what to do. I just wanted to explain my logic for not carrying at this particular event. In my experience, MTU public safety officers can be down right uhhh....hard to communicate with*....

*my really feelings withheld to maintain the family friendly nature of the forums

northofnowhere

Campaign Veteran
imported post

lol, one of them is my fire department chief and another is on city council here, I deal with both frequently and already know what you mean, especially with regards to citizens carrying firearms :)

redneckdan

imported post

Email sent.

MTU's curent policy is that dorm and heights students have to store their stuff in a lock up in the department office. After NIU, they stopped letting students check out their pistols to attend the tues and thurs night range sessions. Needless to say there were a lot of pissed off club members.