Thread: First experience with a shoulder holster

Post imported post

I got this shoulder rig for my 1911... Was rainin' soI stuck the pistol in that... spent 20 minutes adjusting all the doo-dad straps 'n stuff... 'n wasn't comfortable with the result... 'Compared to my usual gunbelt. 'Felt like I was wearin' a training bra backwards. (That's what it looks like) I think it must take several hands to adjust this creature to where it 'fits'. 'Seems like it could use another strap across the back to keep stuf from floppin' too. Now I gotta cut the floppy ends 'n singe 'em 'cause I've gotso manyloose ends hangin' off me it looks like I've unraveled.

Post imported post

It took me about that long to get my Miami Classic setting comfortably, but once I did I like it. I just need to get some tie downs for it, it bounces around a lot more than I would have expected.

Post imported post

FogRider wrote:
    It took me about that long to get my Miami Classic setting comfortably, but once I did I like it. I just need to get some tie downs for it, it bounces around a lot more than I would have expected.
    Yeah... I don't like the 'floppy' aspect. I OC normally anyway...

Post imported post

I'm not sure I've ever concealed with mine, I wear it on top of everything else. I like it on days when I'm going to be in and out of my pickup a lot, it's a lot more comfortable, and it keeps the gun easier to get to.

I did order some tiedowns last night, so we'll see if that helps.

Post imported post

While a FLEO, in the last decade before my retirement, I wore a shoulder rig almost exclusively, CC. I have never found a nylon rig that was worth dirt. Many years ago I discovered a rig from Don Hume holsters, and it's been perfect (for me). I've discovered that when one first acquires a shoulder rig it often can require an extra person or two to "fit" and adjust the holster to your comfort level. Additionally it takes awhile to get used to the feel of the rig.

Many people buy them to hold very large pistols and revolvers, it can make drawing much easier. Some folks get a rig that sits about in the middle of their chests. The use these when hunting, fishing, or just OCing.

The thing to remember is that no one rig will meet all of your needs, what and how you wear is often dictated by circumstances.

Post imported post

I have to find some of my old nylon straps 'n buckles (the snap type) to tie the mag pouch strap 'n holster strap across the back to bring 'em closer to my ribs I s'pose. As it is... they're just secured to the top of my belt on either side. I find my reg'lar gunbelt a lot more egonomic... if that's the word. I carry cross draw on my left hip, which doesn't interfere with my seat belt or much else. I also use an open 'bucket'... attached to my belt... but has no retention feature. My jackets (when worn) are short... 'cept for the duster. I only wear that in the rain tho... which is about to end here soon (The monsoons). Gunbelts are a lot less complicated tho. I thought I might use this on my infrequent trips to some 'mall' or like that... 'other side of the mountains. I'll figure somethin' out... or just carry the 9mm Mak or the .38 snubbie in my pocket.

Post imported post

Gave up 'n bought another one. Vertical clamshell. Bianchi 4601 'Ranger Viper' model. Nylon I had a similar one whenI hadda carry that S&W Mod 10 years ago.