Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34

Thread: Change in attitude

  1. #1
    Regular Member Guido's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Wilder, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    46

    Post imported post

    Hello everybody, first off I would like to thank everybody on this board for the great information that is provided here, I and members of my family have found it be very educational, interesting and helpful.

    I recently joined this board as I am a supporter of OC, CC and the Constitution of this great country, however I have been reading this board for a long time, and recently I have seen a big change in the attitude of the posters here.
    I have seen threads that contain bickering, arguing, name calling and just a general poor attitude towards others that post here, and I was wondering why the change ?
    It makes me a little sad as this used to be one of my favorite boards to visit due to the camaraderie and respect that was shown to each other, along with the great information and support that is given. I am not trying to start a flame war or troll or anything like that, I am just honestly curious as to why you, the members of this board, think this change may have come about?

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    95

    Post imported post

    Guido wrote:
    Hello everybody, first off I would like to thank everybody on this board for the great information that is provided here, I and members of my family have found it be very educational, interesting and helpful.

    I recently joined this board as I am a supporter of OC, CC and the Constitution of this great country, however I have been reading this board for a long time, and recently I have seen a big change in the attitude of the posters here.
    I have seen threads that contain bickering, arguing, name calling and just a general poor attitude towards others that post here, and I was wondering why the change ?
    It makes me a little sad as this used to be one of my favorite boards to visit due to the camaraderie and respect that was shown to each other, along with the great information and support that is given. I am not trying to start a flame war or troll or anything like that, I am just honestly curious as to why you, the members of this board, think this change may have come about?
    because some people disagree with some people's opinion.

    why is this thread needed?

  3. #3
    Regular Member MetalChris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    1,215

    Post imported post

    TipsyMcStagger wrote:
    Guido wrote:
    Hello everybody, first off I would like to thank everybody on this board for the great information that is provided here, I and members of my family have found it be very educational, interesting and helpful.

    I recently joined this board as I am a supporter of OC, CC and the Constitution of this great country, however I have been reading this board for a long time, and recently I have seen a big change in the attitude of the posters here.
    I have seen threads that contain bickering, arguing, name calling and just a general poor attitude towards others that post here, and I was wondering why the change ?
    It makes me a little sad as this used to be one of my favorite boards to visit due to the camaraderie and respect that was shown to each other, along with the great information and support that is given. I am not trying to start a flame war or troll or anything like that, I am just honestly curious as to why you, the members of this board, think this change may have come about?
    because some people disagree with some people's opinion.

    why is this thread needed?
    The OPis absolutely right. There has been a sudden influx of new members who make complete asses of themselves. A lot of this probably has something to do with the fact that we now only have 2 forum moderators...

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    95

    Post imported post

    we should ban all liberals from the site lol

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    293

    Post imported post

    TipsyMcStagger wrote:
    we should ban all liberals from the site lol
    This isn't FreeRepublic where anyone to the left of the RNC is banned. Everyone who supports RKBA should be welcome here, liberals/progressives included.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    95

    Post imported post

    like_the_roman wrote:
    TipsyMcStagger wrote:
    we should ban all liberals from the site lol
    This isn't FreeRepublic where anyone to the left of the RNC is banned. Everyone who supports RKBA should be welcome here, liberals/progressives included.
    i was being sarcastic lmao...

    the RNC is left wing anyways so whats your point?


  7. #7
    Regular Member MetalChris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    1,215

    Post imported post

    like_the_roman wrote:
    TipsyMcStagger wrote:
    we should ban all liberals from the site lol
    This isn't FreeRepublic where anyone to the left of the RNC is banned. Everyone who supports RKBA should be welcome here, liberals/progressives included.
    If only the discussion could be limited to RKBA, we might be able to avoid a lot of the "ass-ery"

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Catasauqua, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    3,047

    Post imported post

    MetalChris wrote:
    like_the_roman wrote:
    TipsyMcStagger wrote:
    we should ban all liberals from the site lol
    This isn't FreeRepublic where anyone to the left of the RNC is banned. Everyone who supports RKBA should be welcome here, liberals/progressives included.
    If only the discussion could be limited to RKBA, we might be able to avoid a lot of the "ass-ery"
    Yes. Unfortunately, this board has been turned into a puppet of the GOP and neo-conservativism, though I'm holding out that it will go away after Big Brother '08 finishes its run in November.

    But there's something more, and I can't pinpoint the cause. Maybe just rudeness in general. When I joined the board last summer, it was a place of general civility, and the rule of thumb was to not say anything on here that one wouldn't say to the same crowd of people, all armed, in person. That's what distinguished us from other forums... it wasn't just a bunch of usernames communicating in an anonymous cyberspace. It was a community who used OCDO only because it was impractical to physically meet in order to share and discuss ideas.

    All I know is that it was pretty bad when I left a few weeks ago. Now that I've come back, it's looking even worse, and I'm seeing even fewer members left who I truly appreciated. Replacing them are trolls who do nothing but side-track the cause.

    Perhaps the lack of moderation plays some role. Perhaps if we didn't have to have the same alcohol-and-guns discussion three times in three different threads in the same forum, every few weeks, members might be a little less on edge. Perhaps if McCain apostles weren't allowed to post their thinly-veiled spam on every occasion, discussions might be a little less tedious. Perhaps if anti-gun folks (including hobbyist gun owners) would listen instead of being allowed to spout their tired old lines, we may be a little less abrasive toward them. Perhaps...

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    460

    Post imported post

    The reason that the tone of the board has changed is simple. It has grown exponentially. More people = more a-holes. If the ratio of a-holes to regular people is 1 to 100, then a community of 1000 people will have about 10 a-holes, while a community of a million people will have about 10,000 a-holes. It's simple math.

    I do agree though that any and all political discussions should be limited to RKBA ONLY. Allowing discussions about abortion, economic policies, gay rights, etc, will just go up in flames.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,715

    Post imported post

    OP, you're obviously unfamiliar with the typical forum life cycle. Let me explain...

    1. Board is created

    2. OG members join

    3. OG members get to know one another and talk very peacefully because of the closeness that comes with a small membership

    4. Board grows, large influx ofnew members

    5. OG members think they're badass because they're OG, they look down on all new members as "trolls" because they're invading theclose-knit, small, inner circle of OG membership

    6. Majority of OG members get pissed off and leave/relocate

    7. Former newbs become new OG members

    8. cycle reverts back to #3 and repeats



    I've watched this happen on numerous boards both small and enormous. It's nothing revolutionary. It's predictable. It happens everywhere. Get over it.

  11. #11
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas, USA
    Posts
    429

    Post imported post

    As one of the afore mentioned new members my observations may not have much credibility here.But Iagree with Guido's assessment of the overall tone on the board. My feeling is that the presence of a few trolls derailing threads coupled with the proliferation of unnecessary political and religious commentary has soured the generalspirit of postings on the board. I've fallen into a trap or two myself. For my part in that,I am sorry.

    The general edginess may also be attributable to the perceived need to make progress toward restoration of second amendment freedoms on so many fronts simultaneously in so many states. The Heller decision has created a window of opportunity. The presidential race has created a sense of urgency. The result is apprehension manifest as combativeness.

    I must say I enjoy the camaraderie of discussing, debating and sharing ideas with so manywith whomI share a common interest. I've learned much here. This is a great forum. And I can not imagine the Old Guard abandoning the newbies to carry on such importantefforts unshepherded. This is not just any forum. OCDO is the embodiment of a movement.

    Must we be so terse to one another? There's enough of that elsewhere.

    Peace.





  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Castle Rock, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    779

    Post imported post

    This is one of the reasons I don't post as much anymore. Everything turns into a P-ing contest, flame fests, and general idiocy. The Palin VP thread is a perfect example; the first couple pages were relatively civil with opinions being bantered about. Then it turned into a slugfest free-for-all that now has nothing to do with the OP.

    I guess all good causes have their growing pains, and I truly hope this is just a "phase" in the evolution and progress that is OCDO. Since this past spring I've seen LOTS of new members joinand the Heller decision brought even more. The media exposure around the nation concerning OCDOreally kicked things into high gear as well. Most of these new people were genuine, but there are a few trolls lurking about, which is to be expected. I think Slayer of Paper hit the nail on the head. The good and the bad will multiply and be relative.

    I hope that Mike and John would decide to allow at least a couple mods. Just to keep the riff-raff in check.

    Just my 7.62 cents...

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Catasauqua, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    3,047

    Post imported post

    AWDstylez wrote:
    OP, you're obviously unfamiliar with the typical forum life cycle. Let me explain...

    1. Board is created

    2. OG members join

    3. OG members get to know one another and talk very peacefully because of the closeness that comes with a small membership

    4. Board grows, large influx ofnew members

    5. OG members think they're badass because they're OG, they look down on all new members as "trolls" because they're invading theclose-knit, small, inner circle of OG membership

    6. Majority of OG members get pissed off and leave/relocate

    7. Former newbs become new OG members

    8. cycle reverts back to #3 and repeats



    I've watched this happen on numerous boards both small and enormous. It's nothing revolutionary. It's predictable. It happens everywhere. Get over it.
    Define irony.

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193

    Post imported post

    imperialism2024 wrote:
    Define irony.
    This thread.

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,715

    Post imported post

    imperialism2024 wrote:
    AWDstylez wrote:
    OP, you're obviously unfamiliar with the typical forum life cycle. Let me explain...

    1. Board is created

    2. OG members join

    3. OG members get to know one another and talk very peacefully because of the closeness that comes with a small membership

    4. Board grows, large influx ofnew members

    5. OG members think they're badass because they're OG, they look down on all new members as "trolls" because they're invading theclose-knit, small, inner circle of OG membership

    6. Majority of OG members get pissed off and leave/relocate

    7. Former newbs become new OG members

    8. cycle reverts back to #3 and repeats



    I've watched this happen on numerous boards both small and enormous. It's nothing revolutionary. It's predictable. It happens everywhere. Get over it.
    Define irony.


    Someone coming into a thread about the decline of civility and on-topic posting and making a two word, wise-ass, off-topic comment.

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Indiana, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    674

    Post imported post

    MetalChris wrote:
    like_the_roman wrote:
    TipsyMcStagger wrote:
    we should ban all liberals from the site lol
    This isn't FreeRepublic where anyone to the left of the RNC is banned. Everyone who supports RKBA should be welcome here, liberals/progressives included.
    If only the discussion could be limited to RKBA, we might be able to avoid a lot of the "ass-ery"
    There's already a forum like that, it's called The High Road. It doesn't stop the "ass-ery"

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lake Charles Area, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    1,723

    Post imported post

    Guido wrote:
    Hello everybody, first off I would like to thank everybody on this board for the great information that is provided here, I and members of my family have found it be very educational, interesting and helpful.

    I recently joined this board as I am a supporter of OC, CC and the Constitution of this great country, however I have been reading this board for a long time, and recently I have seen a big change in the attitude of the posters here.
    I have seen threads that contain bickering, arguing, name calling and just a general poor attitude towards others that post here, and I was wondering why the change ?
    It makes me a little sad as this used to be one of my favorite boards to visit due to the camaraderie and respect that was shown to each other, along with the great information and support that is given. I am not trying to start a flame war or troll or anything like that, I am just honestly curious as to why you, the members of this board, think this change may have come about?
    If you stay a way from the political topics and threads, you don't see much of this at all.

    Without MODS, what can you expect. Two people just isn't enough for 9,570 members. !

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV, ,
    Posts
    433

    Post imported post

    Aran wrote:
    MetalChris wrote:
    like_the_roman wrote:
    TipsyMcStagger wrote:
    we should ban all liberals from the site lol
    This isn't FreeRepublic where anyone to the left of the RNC is banned. Everyone who supports RKBA should be welcome here, liberals/progressives included.
    If only the discussion could be limited to RKBA, we might be able to avoid a lot of the "ass-ery"
    There's already a forum like that, it's called The High Road. It doesn't stop the "ass-ery"
    The High Road seems to attract "ass-ery" i won't post there anymore for being told i am wrong to call the ACLU un-American.

  19. #19
    Regular Member MetalChris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    1,215

    Post imported post

    AWDstylez wrote:
    OP, you're obviously unfamiliar with the typical forum life cycle. Let me explain...

    1. Board is created

    2. OG members join

    3. OG members get to know one another and talk very peacefully because of the closeness that comes with a small membership

    4. Board grows, large influx ofnew members

    5. OG members think they're badass because they're OG, they look down on all new members as "trolls" because they're invading theclose-knit, small, inner circle of OG membership

    6. Majority of OG members get pissed off and leave/relocate

    7. Former newbs become new OG members

    8. cycle reverts back to #3 and repeats



    I've watched this happen on numerous boards both small and enormous. It's nothing revolutionary. It's predictable. It happens everywhere. Get over it.
    5. OG members (which I am not one of, I joined this forum only a year ago) get fed up with people like AWD. This has nothing to do with the fact that AWD is new, but is due to the fact that AWD and people like him suck.

    6.AWD and his friends get banned, and things go back to being awesome.
    /end

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV, ,
    Posts
    433

    Post imported post

    we need to remember, the OC board is visited by many guests.

    united we conquer, divded we fail. Let's not let them see division.

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lake Charles Area, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    1,723

    Post imported post

    yeahYeah wrote:
    we need to remember, the OC board is visited by many guests.

    united we conquer, divded we fail. Let's not let them see division.
    Right on !

  22. #22
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lamma Island, HK
    Posts
    964

    Post imported post

    I know that on other boards people get to give "props" to other members. This might be a good way for us as a community to show for whom we support and can tolerate and those that don't. If you see someone with a low post count and high "props" or high post count with low props you will have an idea of the kind of person you are dealing with.

    But yes, I think even I from time to time have driven a topic off...but flaming and the disrespect I see at times is a turn off. I posted something about this after only being on 2 weeks. It started great and then it became LEO bashing and personal.

    Disagree, sure...but respectfully.

  23. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    , Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,715

    Post imported post

    Theseus wrote:
    I know that on other boards people get to give "props" to other members. This might be a good way for us as a community to show for whom we support and can tolerate and those that don't. If you see someone with a low post count and high "props" or high post count with low props you will have an idea of the kind of person you are dealing with.

    But yes, I think even I from time to time have driven a topic off...but flaming and the disrespect I see at times is a turn off. I posted something about this after only being on 2 weeks. It started great and then it became LEO bashing and personal.

    Disagree, sure...but respectfully.


    It's good in theory, but look at any board that has it and it becomes a circle of high post count butt buddies stroking each other all day long. It nevers works as intended.

    I have yet to see any actual flaming on this board (minus the bit that got Johnny Bliss banned) and I have a hard time not laughing at what you guys call "off topic" and "flames wars". Just because a thread makes a logical digression from the original topic doesn't mean it's "off topic" "derailed" or "ruined". This is a place for discussion. Disagreement is inevitable. We aren't here to stroke each other in forum utopia, we're here to discuss and debate heated topics that have been raging for years. An argument isn't a "flame war" and a debate isn't a "@#$% storm". Even in heated arguments everyone here remains respectful (at least as far as I've seen)and I see very little name calling and almost no personal attacks. Maybe you guys need to venture off to some other boards and see what a real "flame war" is to give you some perspective. Disagreement is a fact of life. If you want to spend the daysitting around and telling each other how right and great you all are, maybe you're on the wrong board.

  24. #24
    Regular Member Guido's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Wilder, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    46

    Post imported post

    Dustin wrote:
    Guido wrote:
    If you stay a way from the political topics and threads, you don't see much of this at all.

    Without MODS, what can you expect. Two people just isn't enough for 9,570 members. !
    I think you are absolutely correct, it would be very difficult if not impossible for 2 people to moderate 9,570 people.

    When asking my question I had not realized there were only 2 mods for the whole board, now the antics of some of the members makes more sense to me, it doesn't make some of the comments I have seen "okay" but it does give me some understanding of the environment here, and why it has changed.


  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV, ,
    Posts
    433

    Post imported post

    i enjoy posting here, have learnt a lot and have met a bunch of people from this forum in person. I'd hate to see it get carried away and turn into glocktalk, etc.



Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •