• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Change in attitude

Guido

imported post

Hello everybody, first off I would like to thank everybody on this board for the great information that is provided here, I and members of my family have found it be very educational, interesting and helpful.

I recently joined this board as I am a supporter of OC, CC and the Constitution of this great country, however I have been reading this board for a long time, and recently I have seen a big change in the attitude of the posters here.
I have seen threads that contain bickering, arguing, name calling and just a general poor attitude towards others that post here, and I was wondering why the change ?
It makes me a little sad as this used to be one of my favorite boards to visit due to the camaraderie and respect that was shown to each other, along with the great information and support that is given. I am not trying to start a flame war or troll or anything like that, I am just honestly curious as to why you, the members of this board, think this change may have come about?

imported post

Guido wrote:
Hello everybody, first off I would like to thank everybody on this board for the great information that is provided here, I and members of my family have found it be very educational, interesting and helpful.

I recently joined this board as I am a supporter of OC, CC and the Constitution of this great country, however I have been reading this board for a long time, and recently I have seen a big change in the attitude of the posters here.
I have seen threads that contain bickering, arguing, name calling and just a general poor attitude towards others that post here, and I was wondering why the change ?
It makes me a little sad as this used to be one of my favorite boards to visit due to the camaraderie and respect that was shown to each other, along with the great information and support that is given. I am not trying to start a flame war or troll or anything like that, I am just honestly curious as to why you, the members of this board, think this change may have come about?
because some people disagree with some people's opinion.

why is this thread needed?

MetalChris

imported post

TipsyMcStagger wrote:
Guido wrote:

because some people disagree with some people's opinion.

why is this thread needed?
The OPis absolutely right. There has been a sudden influx of new members who make complete asses of themselves. A lot of this probably has something to do with the fact that we now only have 2 forum moderators...

imported post

like_the_roman wrote:
TipsyMcStagger wrote:
we should ban all liberals from the site lol :)

This isn't FreeRepublic where anyone to the left of the RNC is banned. Everyone who supports RKBA should be welcome here, liberals/progressives included.
i was being sarcastic lmao...

the RNC is left wing anyways so whats your point?

MetalChris

imported post

like_the_roman wrote:
TipsyMcStagger wrote:
This isn't FreeRepublic where anyone to the left of the RNC is banned. Everyone who supports RKBA should be welcome here, liberals/progressives included.
If only the discussion could be limited to RKBA, we might be able to avoid a lot of the "ass-ery" ;)

imperialism2024

imported post

MetalChris wrote:
like_the_roman wrote:
TipsyMcStagger wrote:
If only the discussion could be limited to RKBA, we might be able to avoid a lot of the "ass-ery" ;)
Yes. Unfortunately, this board has been turned into a puppet of the GOP and neo-conservativism, though I'm holding out that it will go away after Big Brother '08 finishes its run in November.

But there's something more, and I can't pinpoint the cause. Maybe just rudeness in general. When I joined the board last summer, it was a place of general civility, and the rule of thumb was to not say anything on here that one wouldn't say to the same crowd of people, all armed, in person. That's what distinguished us from other forums... it wasn't just a bunch of usernames communicating in an anonymous cyberspace. It was a community who used OCDO only because it was impractical to physically meet in order to share and discuss ideas.

All I know is that it was pretty bad when I left a few weeks ago. Now that I've come back, it's looking even worse, and I'm seeing even fewer members left who I truly appreciated. Replacing them are trolls who do nothing but side-track the cause.

Perhaps the lack of moderation plays some role. Perhaps if we didn't have to have the same alcohol-and-guns discussion three times in three different threads in the same forum, every few weeks, members might be a little less on edge. Perhaps if McCain apostles weren't allowed to post their thinly-veiled spam on every occasion, discussions might be a little less tedious. Perhaps if anti-gun folks (including hobbyist gun owners) would listen instead of being allowed to spout their tired old lines, we may be a little less abrasive toward them. Perhaps...

Slayer of Paper

imported post

The reason that the tone of the board has changed is simple. It has grown exponentially. More people = more a-holes. If the ratio of a-holes to regular people is 1 to 100, then a community of 1000 people will have about 10 a-holes, while a community of a million people will have about 10,000 a-holes. It's simple math.

I do agree though that any and all political discussions should be limited to RKBA ONLY. Allowing discussions about abortion, economic policies, gay rights, etc, will just go up in flames.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

OP, you're obviously unfamiliar with the typical forum life cycle. Let me explain...

1. Board is created

2. OG members join

3. OG members get to know one another and talk very peacefully because of the closeness that comes with a small membership

4. Board grows, large influx ofnew members

5. OG members think they're badass because they're OG, they look down on all new members as "trolls" because they're invading theclose-knit, small, inner circle of OG membership

6. Majority of OG members get pissed off and leave/relocate

7. Former newbs become new OG members

8. cycle reverts back to #3 and repeats

I've watched this happen on numerous boards both small and enormous. It's nothing revolutionary. It's predictable. It happens everywhere. Get over it.

cccook

Founder's Club Member
imported post

As one of the afore mentioned new members my observations may not have much credibility here.But Iagree with Guido's assessment of the overall tone on the board. My feeling is that the presence of a few trolls derailing threads coupled with the proliferation of unnecessary political and religious commentary has soured the generalspirit of postings on the board. I've fallen into a trap or two myself. For my part in that,I am sorry.

The general edginess may also be attributable to the perceived need to make progress toward restoration of second amendment freedoms on so many fronts simultaneously in so many states. The Heller decision has created a window of opportunity. The presidential race has created a sense of urgency. The result is apprehension manifest as combativeness.

I must say I enjoy the camaraderie of discussing, debating and sharing ideas with so manywith whomI share a common interest. I've learned much here. This is a great forum. And I can not imagine the Old Guard abandoning the newbies to carry on such importantefforts unshepherded. This is not just any forum. OCDO is the embodiment of a movement.

Must we be so terse to one another? There's enough of that elsewhere.

Peace.

Evil Ernie

imported post

This is one of the reasons I don't post as much anymore. Everything turns into a P-ing contest, flame fests, and general idiocy. The Palin VP thread is a perfect example; the first couple pages were relatively civil with opinions being bantered about. Then it turned into a slugfest free-for-all that now has nothing to do with the OP.

I guess all good causes have their growing pains, and I truly hope this is just a "phase" in the evolution and progress that is OCDO. Since this past spring I've seen LOTS of new members joinand the Heller decision brought even more. The media exposure around the nation concerning OCDOreally kicked things into high gear as well. Most of these new people were genuine, but there are a few trolls lurking about, which is to be expected. I think Slayer of Paper hit the nail on the head. The good and the bad will multiply and be relative.

I hope that Mike and John would decide to allow at least a couple mods. Just to keep the riff-raff in check.

Just my 7.62 cents...

imperialism2024

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
OP, you're obviously unfamiliar with the typical forum life cycle. Let me explain...

1. Board is created

2. OG members join

3. OG members get to know one another and talk very peacefully because of the closeness that comes with a small membership

5. OG members think they're badass because they're OG, they look down on all new members as "trolls" because they're invading theclose-knit, small, inner circle of OG membership

I've watched this happen on numerous boards both small and enormous. It's nothing revolutionary. It's predictable. It happens everywhere. Get over it.
Define irony.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
AWDstylez wrote:

1. Board is created

2. OG members join

Define irony.

Someone coming into a thread about the decline of civility and on-topic posting and making a two word, wise-ass, off-topic comment.

Aran

Banned
imported post

MetalChris wrote:
like_the_roman wrote:
TipsyMcStagger wrote:
There's already a forum like that, it's called The High Road. It doesn't stop the "ass-ery"

Dustin

imported post

Guido wrote:

If you stay a way from the political topics and threads, you don't see much of this at all.

Without MODS, what can you expect. Two people just isn't enough for 9,570 members. !

yeahYeah

imported post

Aran wrote:
MetalChris wrote:
like_the_roman wrote:
TipsyMcStagger wrote:
There's already a forum like that, it's called The High Road. It doesn't stop the "ass-ery"
The High Road seems to attract "ass-ery" i won't post there anymore for being told i am wrong to call the ACLU un-American.

MetalChris

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:

1. Board is created

2. OG members join

5. OG members (which I am not one of, I joined this forum only a year ago) get fed up with people like AWD. This has nothing to do with the fact that AWD is new, but is due to the fact that AWD and people like him suck.

6.AWD and his friends get banned, and things go back to being awesome.
/end

yeahYeah

imported post

we need to remember, the OC board is visited by many guests.

united we conquer, divded we fail. Let's not let them see division.