• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Change in attitude

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I know that on other boards people get to give "props" to other members. This might be a good way for us as a community to show for whom we support and can tolerate and those that don't. If you see someone with a low post count and high "props" or high post count with low props you will have an idea of the kind of person you are dealing with.

But yes, I think even I from time to time have driven a topic off...but flaming and the disrespect I see at times is a turn off. I posted something about this after only being on 2 weeks. It started great and then it became LEO bashing and personal.

Disagree, sure...but respectfully.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Theseus wrote:
I know that on other boards people get to give "props" to other members. This might be a good way for us as a community to show for whom we support and can tolerate and those that don't. If you see someone with a low post count and high "props" or high post count with low props you will have an idea of the kind of person you are dealing with.

But yes, I think even I from time to time have driven a topic off...but flaming and the disrespect I see at times is a turn off. I posted something about this after only being on 2 weeks. It started great and then it became LEO bashing and personal.

Disagree, sure...but respectfully.

It's good in theory, but look at any board that has it and it becomes a circle of high post count butt buddies stroking each other all day long. It nevers works as intended.

I have yet to see any actual flaming on this board (minus the bit that got Johnny Bliss banned) and I have a hard time not laughing at what you guys call "off topic" and "flames wars". Just because a thread makes a logical digression from the original topic doesn't mean it's "off topic" "derailed" or "ruined". This is a place for discussion. Disagreement is inevitable. We aren't here to stroke each other in forum utopia, we're here to discuss and debate heated topics that have been raging for years. An argument isn't a "flame war" and a debate isn't a "@#$% storm". Even in heated arguments everyone here remains respectful (at least as far as I've seen)and I see very little name calling and almost no personal attacks. Maybe you guys need to venture off to some other boards and see what a real "flame war" is to give you some perspective. Disagreement is a fact of life. If you want to spend the daysitting around and telling each other how right and great you all are, maybe you're on the wrong board.

Guido

imported post

Dustin wrote:
Guido wrote:
If you stay a way from the political topics and threads, you don't see much of this at all.

Without MODS, what can you expect. Two people just isn't enough for 9,570 members. !
I think you are absolutely correct, it would be very difficult if not impossible for 2 people to moderate 9,570 people.

When asking my question I had not realized there were only 2 mods for the whole board, now the antics of some of the members makes more sense to me, it doesn't make some of the comments I have seen "okay" but it does give me some understanding of the environment here, and why it has changed.

yeahYeah

imported post

i enjoy posting here, have learnt a lot and have met a bunch of people from this forum in person. I'd hate to see it get carried away and turn into glocktalk, etc.

Gunslinger

imported post

Yes. Unfortunately, this board has been turned into a puppet of the GOP and neo-conservativism, though I'm holding out that it will go away after Big Brother '08 finishes its run in November.

Yeah, when Obooba is in the White House and the BATF kick in your door to take your guns, you won't have to worry about an open carry forum when you have nothing to carry. Give me a ******* break.

yeahYeah

imported post

Gunslinger wrote:
Yes. Unfortunately, this board has been turned into a puppet of the GOP and neo-conservativism, though I'm holding out that it will go away after Big Brother '08 finishes its run in November.

Yeah, when Obooba is in the White House and the BATF kick in your door to take your guns, you won't have to worry about an open carry forum when you have nothing to carry. Give me a @#$%ing break.
We can turn it into moveon.org if you'd like.

imperialism2024

imported post

Gunslinger wrote:

Yeah, when Obooba is in the White House and the BATF kick in your door to take your guns, you won't have to worry about an open carry forum when you have nothing to carry. Give me a @#$%ing break.
Quoted for irony... :lol:

And I'm offended that you stole my quote without citing! Jeez.

*fights urge to make off-topic comment about Big Brother '08*

Gunslinger

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:

OOps, sorry. Here is a cited quote from you:

"Perhaps if McCain apostles weren't allowed to post their thinly-veiled spam on every occasion, discussions might be a little less tedious."

I certainly can see your point. We should have more Obooba supporters post his pro gun stances. Why don't you lead off?

MetalChris

imported post

Gunslinger wrote:
imperialism2024 wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:

"Perhaps if McCain apostles weren't allowed to post their thinly-veiled spam on every occasion, discussions might be a little less tedious."

I certainly can see your point. We should have more Obooba supporters post his pro gun stances. Why don't you lead off?
ROFL. Imperialism voting for Ohama? yeah right!

Prophet

imported post

Evil Ernie wrote:
This is one of the reasons I don't post as much anymore. Everything turns into a P-ing contest, flame fests, and general idiocy. The Palin VP thread is a perfect example; the first couple pages were relatively civil with opinions being bantered about. Then it turned into a slugfest free-for-all that now has nothing to do with the OP.

I guess all good causes have their growing pains, and I truly hope this is just a "phase" in the evolution and progress that is OCDO. Since this past spring I've seen LOTS of new members joinand the Heller decision brought even more. The media exposure around the nation concerning OCDOreally kicked things into high gear as well. Most of these new people were genuine, but there are a few trolls lurking about, which is to be expected. I think Slayer of Paper hit the nail on the head. The good and the bad will multiply and be relative.

OR...we'll all be replaced by monkeys...id est

You have five monkeys in a cage. A bunch of bananas is suspended from the ceiling, a ladder underneath it. One hungry monkey approaches the ladder with a clear intent to get a banana. As soon as it touches the ladder, you turn on the hose and douse all the monkeys with very cold water. In a little while, another monkey attempts to get a banana. Again, cold water for everybody. Turn off the water. When a third monkey, nearly faint with hunger, tries to get a banana, the others will grab it and hold it back, because they don’t want another cold shower. Now, remove one monkey from the cage and replace it with a new one. As soon as it sees the bananas, it will try to go for them. The others will viciously attack it. After the third attempt, the rookie will realize that it cannot have a banana. Now, replace another one of the original monkeys with a new one. As soon as it reaches for a banana, it will get attacked by all the others, including the rapidly learning rookie #1, who will be as enthusiastic as the rest of them, if not more so. And so, after you have gradually replaced all the monkeys, the cage will contain five monkeys who have never had a cold shower but who will not allow anyone to get a banana. Why? Because that’s the way things are done around here.

imperialism2024

imported post

MetalChris wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:
imperialism2024 wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:

Don't you know that McCandy-Ass and B. Hussein Hitler Stalin Stinky-Pants Obama are the only two candidates running?

O/T, though, so I won't continue that discussion.

The point is... I don't care to see spam from either Republicans or Democrats. It's just that Republican spam is tolerated here a bit more because so many gun owners believe that the GOP has gun owners' best interests in mind. Why that is true is beyond the scope of this thread.

Gunslinger

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
MetalChris wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:
imperialism2024 wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:

Don't you know that McCandy-Ass and B. Hussein Hitler Stalin Stinky-Pants Obama are the only two candidates running?

O/T, though, so I won't continue that discussion.

The point is... I don't care to see spam from either Republicans or Democrats. It's just that Republican spam is tolerated here a bit more because so many gun owners believe that the GOP has gun owners' best interests in mind. Why that is true is beyond the scope of this thread.
5 1/2 years in hell, guest of the North Vietnamese; 22 year Navy career; long and distinguished career as US Senator. I guess I never thought of McCain as a "candy ass." Then Obooba, not a day in the armed forces; zero as a South Side Daley boot licker in the IL Senate; not a single accomplishment in his, what, 30 days in the US Senate. You're right. Not much difference there. As far as this board goes: McCain strong--albeit not perfect, record on gun rights. Obooba, F- on any and every gun law/discussion. Has publicly supported the ban of all handguns. As I said, won't need this board if he gets his way. Now I see the light...