• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sig P-229 in .40 S&W caliber

jwidman

imported post

So I am thinking of getting a Sig P-229 in .40 S&W caliber for concealed and open carry. Does anyone have experience firing this and how would you rate it with others in its price range? Also what type of holster would you recommend?

-JW

SIGguy229

imported post

Great gun...I've shot/carried one for 11 years, nary a problem. The only problem I had was with ammo that blew off the extractor (8 years and ~22K rounds at this point). I sent it back to SIG and had it back in two weeks.

It is a very sturdy gun that will serve you well. I recommend Tru-Glo TFOs for sights.

Holster for OC: Blackhawk SERPA

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

My next two handguns on my acquisition list are a Sig P229 and P226 in .40. I really like the P series Sigs and prefer the SA/DA models. I carry a P228 not quite half the time when not carrying my XD45 compact service.

David.Car

imported post

You can never go wrong with a Sig. The 226, 228, and 229 are all fantastic. I would suggest finding a range that lets you rent, and also has all 3 of these models. Try them all and see what is the best fit for your hand and needs.

NWGirl

imported post

My husband has one of these with the tritium night sights and I have one in the 9 mm. I could shoot either one of them all day long!

wayneco

imported post

I absolutely love my Sigs. I have had a P228 9mm since 1993 and the P229r .40 (two tone) for a couple of years now. I open and concealed carry the P229 .40 and my wife the P228 9mm and am absolutely delighted to own and shoot both.

I'm probably buying a P239 .40 as my next purchase. the Sigs are simply amazing weapons with real working pedigrees as well.

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

MAN LET ME TELL YOU, I JUST GOT HOME FROM SHOOTING ONE TODAY AND I WILL BE GETTING A SIG P229 FOR MY NEXT GUN!!!!!!!!!!:lol::lol:AND:celebrate:celebrate.

I am going to make a post in my experienceafter i type this, I am glade you asked about it..

jwidman

imported post

So I went to the gun expo in VA today and I was going to buy the sig but they wouldn't sell it to me :X I guess I have to get rid of my WA state DL and get a VA one before I can buy a gun here :cuss: Oh well be a week or two before I can arrange time for the DMV.

SIGguy, I may take you up on that sometime in the future but things are kind of hectic at the moment with my new job and furnishing my new place :p I was looking for a good deal and think I found one:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=110177616

What do you guys think?

SIGguy229

imported post

jwidman wrote:
So I went to the gun expo in VA today and I was going to buy the sig but they wouldn't sell it to me :X I guess I have to get rid of my WA state DL and get a VA one before I can buy a gun here :cuss: Oh well be a week or two before I can arrange time for the DMV.

SIGguy, I may take you up on that sometime in the future but things are kind of hectic at the moment with my new job and furnishing my new place :p I was looking for a good deal and think I found one:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=110177616

What do you guys think?

Well, do you want to have both .40 and .357SIG? Looking at the price, add 3% (for credit card), add $20 for shipping, and $25 for transfer fee for local FFL.

How about this: Check out http://www.ssgknives.com/ , go to handguns, look for the same gun for $640...and you can pick it up the same day. SSG Tactical is in Fredericksburg, VA.

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

How's that old saying go....."Colts and Kimbers are what you show your friends. GLOCKs and Sigs are what you show your enemies."

They're great hard-use guns. Extremely reliable, very accurate and have the reputation as a leader in the firearms industry. I had a P229 DAK and loved it. I've fired a few other P229's as well. One of these will serve you well. OC holster=SERPA, CC holster=Kramer IWB or Bladetech IWB.

G

Gentleman Ranker

imported post

jwidman (13 September 2008 Saturday 23:22) asks:

I have not owned Promag brand, but they seem to have an iffy reputation amongst the SIG community. Some find them reliable, though.

SIGForum is a good source of information on all things SIG, and I've bought a few things from their Classified section with good results.

SIG 12-round factory mags can be had at Top Gun Supply or Midway (on sale this month) for $30, which is not at all bad. Top Gun also has the 14-rd SCT magazines, but they are $50. I have done business at both places and found them to be reliable.

Hope that's helpful.

regards,

GR

Spectre

imported post

I own a P220 and I currently rateit as my #1. I would love to have a P226 or P225 as well. To me a Sig means all business, but it still has a sex appeal as it were.

David.Car

imported post

In case you didn't know, the red band on the grip is a CPO (certified pre-owned).

But you can find some good deals on gunbroker. I picked up my P226 NIB with night sights for $615 after FFL transfer fee and shipping.