• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

M14 Rifle

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Ok, so I've been continually searching for the best "light" rifle to add to my collection. AR-15's are nice, but reliability of the rifle and effectiveness of the round can be questionable. AK's are nice too, but their lack of range and accuracy are draw backs, and finding a "quality" one can be difficult. I also hate the safety.

Now I've turned my attention to the M14. Don't laugh, but while I was playing Call of Duty 4, I decided I really liked the M21 Sniper Rifle available in the game. I liked the idea of having a light weight (compared to my Winchester Model 70 sniper rifle), semi-automatic rifle that would be well suited for hunting, but could also fill a CQB assault rifle type role. So I did some searching and found out that the M21 is a "sniper" version of the M14. I also foundout that it shoots the .308 round, which is good because that's what my M70 shoots.

Anyway so I've never even touched an M14, and have read little about them. I know they were short lived asa service rifle, but are still in sparse use in the military, sometimes as light weight sniper rifles. I'm becoming familiar with the benefits of the rifle, so my question for you guys is, why SHOULDN'T I get an M14? What do I need to know about reliability, accuracy, cleaning, etc. that would make me think twice about investing in this platform?

TheMrMitch

imported post

Nuttin' wrong with an M14. I carried and qualified with one in 1962. Prior to that it was an M1 Garand.

Now, to answer your question: You shouldn't get an M14 because...er....uh....Hmmmmmmm.:D

danbus

imported post

DreQo wrote:
Ok, so I've been continually searching for the best "light" rifle to add to my collection. AR-15's are nice, but reliability of the rifle and effectiveness of the round can be questionable. AK's are nice too, but their lack of range and accuracy are draw backs, and finding a "quality" one can be difficult. I also hate the safety.

Now I've turned my attention to the M14. Don't laugh, but while I was playing Call of Duty 4, I decided I really liked the M21 Sniper Rifle available in the game. I liked the idea of having a light weight (compared to my Winchester Model 70 sniper rifle), semi-automatic rifle that would be well suited for hunting, but could also fill a CQB assault rifle type role. So I did some searching and found out that the M21 is a "sniper" version of the M14. I also foundout that it shoots the .308 round, which is good because that's what my M70 shoots.

Anyway so I've never even touched an M14, and have read little about them. I know they were short lived asa service rifle, but are still in sparse use in the military, sometimes as light weight sniper rifles. I'm becoming familiar with the benefits of the rifle, so my question for you guys is, why SHOULDN'T I get an M14? What do I need to know about reliability, accuracy, cleaning, etc. that would make me think twice about investing in this platform?
My GT is DropingBagz

add me

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The M14 isn't that light, with wooden stock. From what I have heard, allot of GI's in VN that were issued an early M16's would dump the 16's if the came across a 14.

Today the Military is trying to round up M14's to send to Iraq and Afghanistan. The troops over there claim the .223 doesn't quite have enough punch to shoot through walls. The .308 and M14 does.

I've just recently acquired a WWII issued M1 Carbine.

RedKnightt

imported post

The M-14 is supposed to be a damn fine weapon, and if you have the cash and have filled out the lovely Class III forms, there's no reason not to get one.

This one's only $21,000 :)

http://www.gunsamerica.com/979119243/Guns-For-Sale/Gun-Auctions/Rifles/Springfield-Armory-Rifles/M1A-M14/Springfield_Original_M_14_Fullauto.htm

If you are looking for a semi-auto version, the M21 is produced by Springfield Armory

http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?model=20

If you just looking for a good servicable M1, you can't beat the Civilian Marksmanship Program:

http://www.thecmp.org/

If you do go for the CMP, you can use membership in the Garand Collectors Society or the VCDL as your organization membership.

-RedKnightt--

Zombie Squad has it right: “We hold fast to the belief that if you are prepared for a scenario where the walking corpses of your family and neighbors are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for almost anything.”

Michigander

imported post

It's a toss up between the FAL, the SAIGA and the M14 platforms for .308 MBRs, and of course some people like their G3's too. Each have their idiocyncracies, but they are all utterly capable weapons. The hard part is picking your favorite, unless you can afford one of each.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Wow, awesome information guys. As far as weight, I'd definitely be getting a synthetic stock. It looks like I may have to seriously look at springfield armory, all though the prices get up there. There are those that would say "Why spend so much on a rifle? If the SHTF, just use your handgun to get yourself a rifle." lol.

Anyway, I hate to quote wiki, but I found this about the 7.62 NATO round:

While similar in appearance, the military 7.62x51 NATO cartridge is not identical to the commercial .308 Winchester. However, their interchange is not listed as unsafe in either combination.
Soooo what's the difference? My M70 is definitely a .308 Winchester.Are the .308 and 7.62 NATO interchangeable or not?

Dustin

imported post

DreQo wrote:
Don't laugh, but while I was playing Call of Duty 4, I decided I really liked the M21 Sniper Rifle available in the game.

Add me, TW xHITMANx

After I picked up Prestige Ten on CoD 4, 2 months after it came out, I lost interest.

I mostly game on Battlefield Bad Company now though.

Also, you could get that AR-15 chambered in 6.8 SPC

ODA 226

imported post

I carried an M21 when I was a 10th Group Sniper in the late 70's/ early 80's. There is no better semi-auto sniper system in existance, IMHO. It is very effective out to 700 meters and a skilled sniper can be accurate out 950 meters. I have had and have witnessed hits by other SF Snipers out to 1100 meters but this is really the extreme limit of this weapon.

The ART Scope was IMO, the weakest part of the system, but this was replaced on the upgraded M25 system in the late 80's withthe Leopold MK4.

Great weapon and tops in its' class! You can't beat it!

Gunslinger

imported post

Outstanding weapon. The guys I knew in SEA would drop the 16 for a 14 in a second. Heavier than the M-16, but much more powerful cartridge, so if you're not slogging thru rice paddies with it all day, that's the one to own. Springfield makes a fine version of it for civilians.

The full auto was not well liked, btw. Hard to control. The guys I knew were taught to fire quick, two shot vollies. In full auto, the M-16 has it over the M-14, but that's not an issue unless you go for a Class III and want to spend a lot of money.

Dustin

imported post

Here's aTricked out SOCOM model,

vm14socomseriesmodstock.JPG

I like them all !

imported post

springfield used to make good M14s. not they are junk and built overseas. at least thats what i've heard.

i would try to buy a american made M14

Slayer of Paper

imported post

I personally think the .223 is quite effective up to around 150 meters. Beyond that, I'd go with a sniper rifle, which in reality can easily just be a big game rifle chambered in say .30-06 or 300 Weatherby.

ODA 226

imported post

Dustin wrote:
Slayer of Paper wrote:
I personally think the .223 is quite effective up to around 150 meters.

150 m ?

I strongly disagree.

At closer ranges, the 5.56 is so fast it usually goes right thru a person.
I strongly disagree with you also. In 19 years of service, I've never missed a shot at a sillouette at 300 meters. That was with an M16A1 or with a 10" CAR 15. When I was with the 97th ARCOM Rifle Team, hitting a sillouette at 400 meters with a stock M16A2HB was a breeze.

Dustin

imported post

You are correct and I painfully apologize.

No excuse for my disrespectful post, but I'm put on guard here working on Ft. Polk. Everytime I turn around I have to here how these old Retired Army, Fat Body, water walkers are perfect at everything. Being that I'm the only Marine around, I too often am definding the Corps on my own from these tirds.

I hope you can realize it takes more guts to write this post than to say what I did. :(

Again, I Apologize Sir.

I'll edit my previous post.