Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33

Thread: Visiting CO from VA

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    4 hours south of HankT, ,
    Posts
    5,121

    Post imported post

    I checked out the RMGO FAQ http://rmgo.org/faq/#Permit%20lawsand it seems to me that CO's disorderly conduct and menacing laws are kind of scary.

    I plan on heading out to CO in a couple of weeks to do some hiking in the Buena Vista area in San Isabel National Forest. Since states set the rules for NF land, and since I don't any restrictions in the FAQ or the code, I'm thinking NF is cool for OC. Am I correct?

    I also understand my Virginia CHP permit is worthless in CO, so it looks like it's OC or No C. When not OC'ing in a pickup truck, is unloaded and locked in a metal box good?

    Also, if I'm reaing correctly, OC in a vehicle is legal only if unchambered. Correct?

    Thanks for your help, folks. Traveling is always easier when they accept your permit.

  2. #2
    Regular Member reefteach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    511

    Post imported post

    National Forest Open Carry in Colorado is legal. A round in the chamber while open carrying without a license, both on foot and in a vehicle (as long as you are not in Denver) Is legal. PM denwego for more details than that. I just OC there wen I am on vacation.

    BTW- The roads from Aspen to Buena Vista are very scenic. Pull over randomly to explore hidden streams. Great photo ops.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Castle Rock, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    779

    Post imported post

    reefteach wrote:
    National Forest Open Carry in Colorado is legal. A round in the chamber while open carrying without a license, both on foot and in a vehicle (as long as you are not in Denver) Is legal. PM denwego for more details than that. I just OC there wen I am on vacation.

    BTW- The roads from Aspen to Buena Vista are very scenic. Pull over randomly to explore hidden streams. Great photo ops.
    Photo Ops?!?!? Grab a pan and see if there's yeller in those streams!!! Lots of it in the Ark in BV!!!

    Buena Vista is very pro gun. I walked all over town in July with the 1911 in full view, no problems whatsoever. Just watch yer speed when driving!!!

    You can CC in your vehicle with a condition one sidearm without a permit. The "unchambered" rule is for long guns. In fact, you can have a full mag in your AR, but nothing in the chamber. Just stay out of Denver and Denver County.

  4. #4
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Castle Rock, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    392

    Post imported post

    Evil Ernie is right on. Most of Colorado is quite OC friendly. You can do whatever you want in your vehicle without a permit: OC, CC, loaded or unloaded (outside of Denver). You need not inform the officer either. Have fun in beautiful Colorado!

    Edit: Forgot the Denver caveat


  5. #5
    Regular Member Gunslinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Free, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    3,855

    Post imported post

    OC or CC, fully loaded, in a vehicle is legal everywhere in CO. OC, except Denver County, Denver is legal everywhere in the state. VA CCW is not honored, and that is Virginia's fault, not ours. Very few more gun friendly states in the country; none more beautiful. National Parks still no carry; National Forests and all CO parks/forests are fine to OC. Colorado Springs/El Paso county is the most gun friendly place you can imagine. Enjoy our great state. (Don't worry about DO or so called "menacing" laws unless you plan on doing something dumb, which I doubt.) We were the first in the nation with the "Make my day" law, btw. BGs take the risk of getting their heads blown off here. Good guys don't have a thing to worry about.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    4 hours south of HankT, ,
    Posts
    5,121

    Post imported post

    Gunslinger wrote:
    OC or CC, fully loaded, in a vehicle is legal everywhere in CO. OC, except Denver County, Denver is legal everywhere in the state. VA CCW is not honored, and that is Virginia's fault, not ours. Very few more gun friendly states in the country; none more beautiful. National Parks still no carry; National Forests and all CO parks/forests are fine to OC. Colorado Springs/El Paso county is the most gun friendly place you can imagine. Enjoy our great state. (Don't worry about DO or so called "menacing" laws unless you plan on doing something dumb, which I doubt.) We were the first in the nation with the "Make my day" law, btw. BGs take the risk of getting their heads blown off here. Good guys don't have a thing to worry about.
    Thanks for the info. I hope to avoid Denver, but if I pass through, is unloaded in a locked metal box the way to go?
    VA CCW is not honored, and that is Virginia's fault, not ours.
    Actually, it's the fault of any lawmaker who makes you get a permit in the first place, but I wasn't looking for an argument. I've been to CO before on business, and wasn't armed, and I can't wait to see it again. I'm not a skier, my interest is in hiking and rafting. Looks like I missed the good whitewater season for the year, but so what? Touring by foot is nice.

    While I'm at it, what about long guns in the NF? I doubt I want to lug one on foot, but figure I ask...

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Windsor, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    111

    Post imported post

    Tomahawk wrote:
    Gunslinger wrote:
    OC or CC, fully loaded, in a vehicle is legal everywhere in CO. OC, except Denver County, Denver is legal everywhere in the state. VA CCW is not honored, and that is Virginia's fault, not ours. Very few more gun friendly states in the country; none more beautiful. National Parks still no carry; National Forests and all CO parks/forests are fine to OC. Colorado Springs/El Paso county is the most gun friendly place you can imagine. Enjoy our great state. (Don't worry about DO or so called "menacing" laws unless you plan on doing something dumb, which I doubt.) We were the first in the nation with the "Make my day" law, btw. BGs take the risk of getting their heads blown off here. Good guys don't have a thing to worry about.
    Thanks for the info. I hope to avoid Denver, but if I pass through, is unloaded in a locked metal box the way to go?
    VA CCW is not honored, and that is Virginia's fault, not ours.
    Actually, it's the fault of any lawmaker who makes you get a permit in the first place, but I wasn't looking for an argument. I've been to CO before on business, and wasn't armed, and I can't wait to see it again. I'm not a skier, my interest is in hiking and rafting. Looks like I missed the good whitewater season for the year, but so what? Touring by foot is nice.

    While I'm at it, what about long guns in the NF? I doubt I want to lug one on foot, but figure I ask...
    Actually Tomahawk, each town and city in Colorado has the right to prohibit OC so, keep that in mind.

    Colorado

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Aurora, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    150

    Post imported post

    While I'm at it, what about long guns in the NF? I doubt I want to lug one on foot, but figure I ask...
    No problem in the NF, but you fall under state law in that you can't have a cartridge in battery while in a vehicle (but you can have a full magazine). Standard rules apply for discharge (not over roads or trails, so many yards from a building, etc).

    Also,watch out for the Mountain Parks that belong to Denver...they fall under Denver jurisdiction and so have Denver's OC prohibitions.




  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Castle Rock, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    779

    Post imported post

    Tomahawk wrote:

    Thanks for the info. I hope to avoid Denver, but if I pass through, is unloaded in a locked metal box the way to go?
    Well, that one is still on the fence since the "Pelosi Hotel" incident during the DNC.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    4 hours south of HankT, ,
    Posts
    5,121

    Post imported post

    colorado slick wrote:
    Actually Tomahawk, each town and city in Colorado has the right to prohibit OC so, keep that in mind.

    Colorado
    Well, since I'm not about to look up the law for every city and town I might possible drive through, that sounds like "don't OC" to me. So far the only one I've heard of is Denver.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Castle Rock, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    779

    Post imported post

    Denver, which includes Denver County and DIA, are really the only places to worry about. Other than that, you're pretty much free and clear.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Centennial, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    1,412

    Post imported post

    colorado slick wrote:
    Actually Tomahawk, each town and city in Colorado has the right to prohibit OC so, keep that in mind.

    Colorado
    That's wrong, state preemption covers that. That's the only reason you can OC in Parker and Arvada. Denver is the only city that has managed to get around the state preemption. You should be good Tomahawk, as long as you stay out of Denver. You may get hassled, but it is legal.

    There is only one thing I am not completely certain about: The way I understand it, unrestricted vehicle carry means you can legally CC your sidearm through Denver without a license. Keep it inside your car and you should be good.

    Again, I will need someone else to confirm that last part.

    Evil Ernie wrote:
    Denver, which includes Denver County and DIA, are really the only places to worry about. Other than that, you're pretty much free and clear.
    Denver is odd in that the city and county are one and the same. I'm pretty sure that DIA is in city/county limits. In fact, I think that's why the borders are weird to the northeast, they extended them to pick up the airport, which they built in frickin' Nebraska for some reason.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    37

    Post imported post

    FogRider wrote:
    Denver is odd in that the city and county are one and the same. I'm pretty sure that DIA is in city/county limits. In fact, I think that's why the borders are weird to the northeast, they extended them to pick up the airport, which they built in frickin' Nebraska for some reason.
    They built DIA well outside of the city because of all of the NIMBYs that cry about noise pollution and how their $800,000 house they just bought is under the approach end of the runway (that existed long before their house).

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Centennial, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    1,412

    Post imported post

    I figured it was something like that. But after checking google earth, DIA is indeed in Denver city limits.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Windsor, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    111

    Post imported post

    FogRider wrote:
    colorado slick wrote:
    Actually Tomahawk, each town and city in Colorado has the right to prohibit OC so, keep that in mind.

    Colorado
    That's wrong, state preemption covers that. That's the only reason you can OC in Parker and Arvada. Denver is the only city that has managed to get around the state preemption. You should be good Tomahawk, as long as you stay out of Denver. You may get hassled, but it is legal.

    There is only one thing I am not completely certain about: The way I understand it, unrestricted vehicle carry means you can legally CC your sidearm through Denver without a license. Keep it inside your car and you should be good.

    Again, I will need someone else to confirm that last part.
    Foggy, that's true if you have a permit. Otherwise, no it isn't. Colorado

    Evil Ernie wrote:
    Denver, which includes Denver County and DIA, are really the only places to worry about. Other than that, you're pretty much free and clear.
    Denver is odd in that the city and county are one and the same. I'm pretty sure that DIA is in city/county limits. In fact, I think that's why the borders are weird to the northeast, they extended them to pick up the airport, which they built in frickin' Nebraska for some reason.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Centennial, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    1,412

    Post imported post

    colorado slick wrote:
    Foggy, that's true if you have a permit. Otherwise, no it isn't. Colorado
    Which part, the preemption issue or unrestricted vehicle carry? Can you cite the law?

  17. #17
    Regular Member entartet17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Aurora, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    206

    Post imported post

    colorado slick wrote
    Foggy, that's true if you have a permit. Otherwise, no it isn't. Colorado
    I have to agree that state preemption covers OC. The law only says that municipalities can restrict OC in certain areas and that it must be posted. So (except for Denver) there are no citywide OC bans. The law forbids it.
    "There are those who still think they are holding the pass against a revolution that may be coming up the road. But they are gazing in the wrong direction. The revolution is behind them. It went by in the Night of Depression, singing songs of freedom" -- Garet Garrett, The Revolution Was (1938)

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    263

    Post imported post

    entartet17 wrote:
    colorado slick wrote
    Foggy, that's true if you have a permit. Otherwise, no it isn't. Colorado
    I have to agree that state preemption covers OC. The law only says that municipalities can restrict OC in certain areas and that it must be posted. So (except for Denver) there are no citywide OC bans. The law forbids it.
    In this thread:

    http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum13/13931.html

    Duelist gets an opinion from the Boulder city DA saying that preemption doesn't affect laws governing OC by people who don't have a CCW.

    Whether this is true of not, LEO in jurisdictions with laws against OC probably THINK their local law in enforcable and I don't imagine Tomahawk wants to be a test case.

    My advice would be to keep it in your car in Denver, Boulder, Parker, Pueblo and Breckenridge. Car carry (OC or CC) is covered by preemption.

    About the long guns. I'm not sure when you are planning your trip, but carrying a long gun in the national forest without a tag during one of our rifle elk/deer seasons (Oct.11-15, Oct. 18-26, Nov. 1-7, Nov. 12-16), might draw unwelcome attention from the DOW.





  19. #19
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Castle Rock, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    392

    Post imported post

    CRS 29-11.7-103. Regulation - type of firearm - prohibited.
    A local government may not enact an ordinance, regulation, or other law that prohibits the sale, purchase, or possession of a firearm that a person may lawfully sell, purchase, or possess under state or federal law. Any such ordinance, regulation, or other law enacted by a local government prior to March 18, 2003, is void and unenforceable.
    29-11.7-104. Regulation - carrying - posting.
    A local government may enact an ordinance, regulation, or other law that prohibits the open carrying of a firearm in a building or specific area within the local government's jurisdiction. If a local government enacts an ordinance, regulation, or other law that prohibits the open carrying of a firearm in a building or specific area, the local government shall post signs at the public entrances to the building or specific area informing persons that the open carrying of firearms is prohibited in the building or specific area.
    OC cannot be prohibited at large with the exception of the City & County of Denver. The only get away with this because they have Home Rule status under the Colorado Constitution which allows them to go over State law in some cases. The only other municipality in CO that could possibly enact an OC prohibition is Broomfield, as they are their own City & County also. Boulder's "OC regulation" was passed before 3/18/2003 and should be unenforceable because a person in CO may legally posses a loaded openly carried handgun under state law. The Boulder DA is just that; from Boulder. That case would be tossed in front of any judge who didn't want to look like an idiot in front of the appeals court.


  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    263

    Post imported post

    centsi wrote:
    CRS 29-11.7-103. Regulation - type of firearm - prohibited.
    A local government may not enact an ordinance, regulation, or other law that prohibits the sale, purchase, or possession of a firearm that a person may lawfully sell, purchase, or possess under state or federal law. Any such ordinance, regulation, or other law enacted by a local government prior to March 18, 2003, is void and unenforceable.
    29-11.7-104. Regulation - carrying - posting.
    A local government may enact an ordinance, regulation, or other law that prohibits the open carrying of a firearm in a building or specific area within the local government's jurisdiction. If a local government enacts an ordinance, regulation, or other law that prohibits the open carrying of a firearm in a building or specific area, the local government shall post signs at the public entrances to the building or specific area informing persons that the open carrying of firearms is prohibited in the building or specific area.
    OC cannot be prohibited at large with the exception of the City & County of Denver. The only get away with this because they have Home Rule status under the Colorado Constitution which allows them to go over State law in some cases. The only other municipality in CO that could possibly enact an OC prohibition is Broomfield, as they are their own City & County also. Boulder's "OC regulation" was passed before 3/18/2003 and should be unenforceable because a person in CO may legally posses a loaded openly carried handgun under state law. The Boulder DA is just that; from Boulder. That case would be tossed in front of any judge who didn't want to look like an idiot in front of the appeals court.
    I absolutely agree that what you say is true. Someone FROM Boulder, Parker, Pueblo and Breckenridge needs to go through the legal stuff to convince the LEA and DA's from these jurisdictions that what you say is true. But I don't expect Tomahawk to want to fight our battles for us.

  21. #21
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Castle Rock, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    392

    Post imported post

    thorvaldr wro
    I absolutely agree that what you say is true. Someone FROM Boulder, Parker, Pueblo and Breckenridge needs to go through the legal stuff to convince the LEA and DA's from these jurisdictions that what you say is true. But I don't expect Tomahawk to want to fight our battles for us.
    What prohibitions do Parker, Pueblo and Breck have? It's not that "brandishing" BS is it?

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    374

    Post imported post

    Tomahawk wrote:
    I checked out the RMGO FAQ http://rmgo.org/faq/#Permit%20lawsand it seems to me that CO's disorderly conduct and menacing laws are kind of scary.

    I plan on heading out to CO in a couple of weeks to do some hiking in the Buena Vista area in San Isabel National Forest. Since states set the rules for NF land, and since I don't any restrictions in the FAQ or the code, I'm thinking NF is cool for OC. Am I correct?

    I also understand my Virginia CHP permit is worthless in CO, so it looks like it's OC or No C. When not OC'ing in a pickup truck, is unloaded and locked in a metal box good?

    Also, if I'm reaing correctly, OC in a vehicle is legal only if unchambered. Correct?

    Thanks for your help, folks. Traveling is always easier when they accept your permit.

    Hope this helps you out.

    Colorado Constitution
    Article II (Bill of Rights)
    Section 13
    Right to bear arms
    The right of no person to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person and property, or in aid of the civil power when thereto legally summoned, shall be called in question; but nothing herein contained shall be construed to justify the practice of carrying concealed weapons.

    CRS 33-6-125 (emphasis added)
    It is unlawful for any person, except a person authorized by law or by the division, to possess or have under his control any firearm, other than a pistol or revolver, in or on any motor vehicle unless the chamber of such firearm is unloaded. Any person in possession or in control of a rifle or shotgun in a motor vehicle shall allow any peace officer, as defined in section33-1-102 (32), who is empowered and acting under the authority granted in section 33-6-101to enforce articles 1 to 6 of this title to inspect the chamber of any rifle or shotgun in the motor vehicle. For the purposes of this section, a "muzzle-loader" shall be considered unloaded if it is not primed, and, for such purpose, "primed" means having a percussion cap on the nipple or flint in the striker and powder in the flash pan. Any person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction thereof, shall be punished by a fine of fifty dollars and an assessment of fifteen license suspension points.


  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    263

    Post imported post

    centsi wrote:
    thorvaldr wro
    I absolutely agree that what you say is true. Someone FROM Boulder, Parker, Pueblo and Breckenridge needs to go through the legal stuff to convince the LEA and DA's from these jurisdictions that what you say is true. But I don't expect Tomahawk to want to fight our battles for us.
    What prohibitions do Parker, Pueblo and Breck have? It's not that "brandishing" BS is it?
    Pueblo: Isn't a big deal. It's just for public buildings and posted private buildings and places that sell alcohol.

    Boulder: Unloaded OC just like Cali (imagine that).

    Parker: Not as bad as I thought. They have a law against carrying where alcohol is sold but their brandishing law says "in a manner calculated to alarm". BTW I am glad Fort Collins doesn't have a 811 page city code.

    Breckenridge: Where alcohol is sold and a bunch of specifically referenced public buildings, parks, and open spaces.

    Overall, not as bad as I thought. I had just memorized these places as having a problem with OC and since I never go to any of them (except unfortunately Boulder) I hadn't taken the time to wade through the legalese and see what the problem really was.

    IANAL and don't think I'm an expert. I looked these up on the links from RMGO.

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Windsor, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    111

    Post imported post

    entartet17 wrote:
    colorado slick wrote
    Foggy, that's true if you have a permit. Otherwise, no it isn't. Colorado
    I have to agree that state preemption covers OC. The law only says that municipalities can restrict OC in certain areas and that it must be posted. So (except for Denver) there are no citywide OC bans. The law forbids it.
    Foggy, that's right.

    Colorado

  25. #25
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Castle Rock, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    392

    Post imported post

    Breckenridge's regulation 6-3E-5 (http://www.townofbreckenridge.com/do...06-03E.TXT.pdf) was obviously written before the new State CC laws when we had the alcohol caveat. It is also unenforceable as per CRS 29-11.7-103. The Town can prohibit OC only in accordance with CRS 29-11.7-104, i.e. at every public entrance on town property only.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •