• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting CO from VA

centsi

Campaign Veteran
imported post

thorvaldr wro
I absolutely agree that what you say is true. Someone FROM Boulder, Parker, Pueblo and Breckenridge needs to go through the legal stuff to convince the LEA and DA's from these jurisdictions that what you say is true. But I don't expect Tomahawk to want to fight our battles for us.
What prohibitions do Parker, Pueblo and Breck have? It's not that "brandishing" BS is it?

Flyer22

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
I checked out the RMGO FAQ http://rmgo.org/faq/#Permit%20lawsand it seems to me that CO's disorderly conduct and menacing laws are kind of scary.

I plan on heading out to CO in a couple of weeks to do some hiking in the Buena Vista area in San Isabel National Forest. Since states set the rules for NF land, and since I don't any restrictions in the FAQ or the code, I'm thinking NF is cool for OC. Am I correct?

I also understand my Virginia CHP permit is worthless in CO, so it looks like it's OC or No C. When not OC'ing in a pickup truck, is unloaded and locked in a metal box good?

Also, if I'm reaing correctly, OC in a vehicle is legal only if unchambered. Correct?

Thanks for your help, folks. Traveling is always easier when they accept your permit.:cuss:

Hope this helps you out.

Colorado Constitution
Article II (Bill of Rights)
Section 13
Right to bear arms
The right of no person to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person and property, or in aid of the civil power when thereto legally summoned, shall be called in question; but nothing herein contained shall be construed to justify the practice of carrying concealed weapons.

CRS 33-6-125 (emphasis added)
It is unlawful for any person, except a person authorized by law or by the division, to possess or have under his control any firearm, other than a pistol or revolver, in or on any motor vehicle unless the chamber of such firearm is unloaded. Any person in possession or in control of a rifle or shotgun in a motor vehicle shall allow any peace officer, as defined in section33-1-102 (32), who is empowered and acting under the authority granted in section 33-6-101to enforce articles 1 to 6 of this title to inspect the chamber of any rifle or shotgun in the motor vehicle. For the purposes of this section, a "muzzle-loader" shall be considered unloaded if it is not primed, and, for such purpose, "primed" means having a percussion cap on the nipple or flint in the striker and powder in the flash pan. Any person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction thereof, shall be punished by a fine of fifty dollars and an assessment of fifteen license suspension points.

thorvaldr

imported post

centsi wrote:
thorvaldr wro
I absolutely agree that what you say is true. Someone FROM Boulder, Parker, Pueblo and Breckenridge needs to go through the legal stuff to convince the LEA and DA's from these jurisdictions that what you say is true. But I don't expect Tomahawk to want to fight our battles for us.
What prohibitions do Parker, Pueblo and Breck have? It's not that "brandishing" BS is it?
Pueblo: Isn't a big deal. It's just for public buildings and posted private buildings and places that sell alcohol.

Boulder: Unloaded OC just like Cali (imagine that).

Parker: Not as bad as I thought. They have a law against carrying where alcohol is sold but their brandishing law says "in a manner calculated to alarm". BTW I am glad Fort Collins doesn't have a 811 page city code.

Breckenridge: Where alcohol is sold and a bunch of specifically referenced public buildings, parks, and open spaces.

Overall, not as bad as I thought. I had just memorized these places as having a problem with OC and since I never go to any of them (except unfortunately Boulder) I hadn't taken the time to wade through the legalese and see what the problem really was.

IANAL and don't think I'm an expert. I looked these up on the links from RMGO.

colorado slick

imported post

entartet17 wrote:
colorado slick wrote
Foggy, that's true if you have a permit. Otherwise, no it isn't. Colorado
I have to agree that state preemption covers OC. The law only says that municipalities can restrict OC in certain areas and that it must be posted. So (except for Denver) there are no citywide OC bans. The law forbids it.

Foggy, that's right.

Colorado

Tomahawk

imported post

Appreciate your help, guys. Looks like I should be okay in my vehicle and in the woods, I just don't want to spend my vacation time being an activist and having to explain to my boss why I have to go to court halfway across the continent.

Gunslinger

imported post

thorvaldr wrote:
centsi wrote:
thorvaldr wro
Pueblo: Isn't a big deal. It's just for public buildings and posted private buildings and places that sell alcohol.

Boulder: Unloaded OC just like Cali (imagine that).

Parker: Not as bad as I thought. They have a law against carrying where alcohol is sold but their brandishing law says "in a manner calculated to alarm". BTW I am glad Fort Collins doesn't have a 811 page city code.

Breckenridge: Where alcohol is sold and a bunch of specifically referenced public buildings, parks, and open spaces.

Overall, not as bad as I thought. I had just memorized these places as having a problem with OC and since I never go to any of them (except unfortunately Boulder) I hadn't taken the time to wade through the legalese and see what the problem really was.

IANAL and don't think I'm an expert. I looked these up on the links from RMGO.
State law preempts all of the above. Only government buildings with metal detectors are off limits. Loaded OC is 100% legal, excepting Denver County, everywhere in the state.

denwego

imported post

Yep, loaded OC in Boulder is entirely legal. They have the pre-preemption law stating that a CHP is required to carry loaded anywhere in the city other than your property, but it's unenforceable in light of state law. Don't count on the local cops to know it, of course, but as loathe as the city attorneys are to admit it, they do know the deal.

FogRider

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Appreciate your help, guys. Looks like I should be okay in my vehicle and in the woods, I just don't want to spend my vacation time being an activist and having to explain to my boss why I have to go to court halfway across the continent.
I'm with you there. If I may be permitted a slight misquote of HHGTTG, just as discretion is the better part of valor, so is cowardice the better part of discretion, so sometimes it's best to valiantly hide your piece.

denwego wrote:
Yep, loaded OC in Boulder is entirely legal. They have the pre-preemption law stating that a CHP is required to carry loaded anywhere in the city other than your property, but it's unenforceable in light of state law. Don't count on the local cops to know it, of course, but as loathe as the city attorneys are to admit it, they do know the deal.
It seems like that's one of the biggest problems in CO, local LE not knowing or caring that the laws on the books are not valid. Of course, proving that in court may be more trouble than one can afford.

mikesmith

imported post

You can open carry anywhere in Colorado except the city (state) of DENVER. I open carry all the time no one has said anything just my wife and girlfriend.