• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NEW GUY WITH QUESTIONS

SailorinAZ

imported post

I am new to the forum. I apologize if some of my questions have already been addressed. I am a retired Navy Cop. I live in Arizona now and open carry every time I go out to the desert which is about two times per month.

Question 1: Can a private business refuse you access to their facility if you are armed even if they do not have a sign posted?

Question 2: Do all private businesses need to provide a lock box?

Question 3: Why is open carry superior to concealed carry?

Question 4: Other then it being your right to carry, why do you feel it is important to carry a firearm?

like_the_roman

imported post

1. Yes. If they ask you to leave, and you have a manager tell you it is company policy to prohibit weapons, then you must leave. If you fail to do so you can be charged with trespassing.

2. No. The state preemption law regarding storage only covers public (government-run) facilities and events, and even this is not widely known nor enforced - some facilities do not have lockers at all.

3. It's not a question of superiority, but one of preference. Open carry is easier in AZ because of the weather, it has educational benefits for the public (getting them used to seeing their peers carry weapons peacefully) and it has a deterrent effect on the criminal element (bad guys usually avoid attacking armed targets.)

- Self defense.
- Education (see #3)
- Deterrence (see #3)
- Civic responsibility.

SailorinAZ

imported post

Thanks Roman, good info. Do the private businesses need to have signs posted or is it just a good idea for them to have the signs posted if they choose to enforce no firearms?

like_the_roman

imported post

SailorinAZ wrote:
Thanks Roman, good info. Do the private businesses need to have signs posted or is it just a good idea for them to have the signs posted if they choose to enforce no firearms?

Most businesses that ban weapons will have signs posted, some may not. I personally do not patronize businesses that do not allow me to be armed unless it is absolutely necessary for me to do so.

The vast majority of businesses in AZ seem fine with guns, however - I can walk into any retail store and nobody notices or cares that I'm armed.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

You should open carry wherever you go. I'm a retired AO turned cowboy.

ca2az96

imported post

like_the_roman wrote:
Most businesses that ban weapons will have signs posted, some may not. I personally do not patronize businesses that do not allow me to be armed unless it is absolutely necessary for me to do so.
I completely agree with this statement. On one hand, a private property ownershould have a right to allow or disallow anything he wants on his property, however I have a right to agree or disagree with his decision. I, of course choose to show my agreement or disagreement, by where I spend my money. It is important that when we see a "No Guns" sign on a business, or are asked to leave, that we politely let the owner / manager know that we will comply, and that we will not be patronizing their business as a result of their decision to be a 'Victim Zone'. I believe that if enough of us take this approach, you will see alot fewer "No Guns" Signs on the front windows of some of these businesses. Basha's is the first business that comes to mind when I think of this. I have already written a letter to their Customer Relations Department, explaining that their Gun Policy is the only reason why I will not shop there. I much prefer their Supermarket over Fry's or Safeway, but their Gun Policy is a Non-Starter for me. It is sad how so many of us will tolerate our second amendment being assaulted by out government and private business, but if it were any other one of our rights, we would be protesting in the streets. Imagine if Basha's had a "No Blacks" sign, or a "All customers are subject to search" sign at their entrance. How long would the public let that go on before they had no customer base left?

like_the_roman

imported post

I'm in the middle of switching banks right now because my current one (VantageWest) has a big "NO FIREARMS" sign on the front door. I never cared much about it until I started open carrying. I just have to wait for my insurance check to clear and then I'm moving to Wells Fargo.

kashmirsmp

imported post

like_the_roman wrote:
I'm in the middle of switching banks right now because my current one (VantageWest) has a big "NO FIREARMS" sign on the front door. I never cared much about it until I started open carrying. I just have to wait for my insurance check to clear and then I'm moving to Wells Fargo.
Wells Fargo does not allow guns in their banks. I was told that before I even got inside. Chase on the other hand has no problems with it. There were 3 of us OC'ing in the chase in AJ at one time. The manager even made a comment that "this would be the wrong bank to mess with right now". Just a little info. Hope it helps.

like_the_roman

imported post

There was a thread about OCing in banks last July/August that confirms Wells Fargo does allow open carry by customers but not by employees. You probably ran into a bad branch with an ignorant/anti-gun staff that needed to be set straight.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

I carry at Wells Fargo (Silverbell and Cortaro) in Marana... 'n never had so much as a comment.