• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about LEO ride a long...

rolexbenz190e

imported post

Hey! I just stumbled upon a question my friend asked me back in the days in a letter and I didn't know exactly how to answer it! The question is:

"You have your CCW and you go on a ride a long with a LEO in AZ, is it ok to carry open and/or concealed? Is it against policy?"

Maybe you guys can answer that for me, cause I have no idea how to answer that :banghead:

no carry permit ?

imported post

Yep I'm sure carrying during a ride a long is a "constitutional right" just ask the idiots that support the nut that was carrying around the Obama SPEECH SITE in Pa and was arrested. Personally I hope they convict the nut and grind his gun up into dust.

like_the_roman

imported post

no carry permit ? wrote:
Yep I'm sure carrying during a ride a long is a "constitutional right" just ask the idiots that support the nut that was carrying around the Obama SPEECH SITE in Pa and was arrested. Personally I hope they convict the nut and grind his gun up into dust.

So, when you happen to be within proximity of police officers and presidential candidates you give up your right to self-defense and free speech?

SIGguy229

imported post

no carry permit ? wrote:
Troll much?

like_the_roman

imported post

While police departments do a background check on every person who requests to accompany an officer to weed out the undesirables, I do not believe that they would allow you or anyone else to carry as it would be a huge liability for them. If you happened to shoot someone when it wasn't justified, the department could be sued for massive amounts of money and the individual LEO you were partnered with would be in huge trouble as well. Unless you happen to also be a LEO from a different department, a retired LEO, or very well politically connected, expect to keep your gun at home.

AZkopper

imported post

like_the_roman wrote:
While police departments do a background check on every person who requests to accompany an officer to weed out the undesirables, I do not believe that they would allow you or anyone else to carry as it would be a huge liability for them. If you happened to shoot someone when it wasn't justified, the department could be sued for massive amounts of money and the individual LEO you were partnered with would be in huge trouble as well. Unless you happen to also be a LEO from a different department, a retired LEO, or very well politically connected, expect to keep your gun at home.

I've worked for 3 different agencies, and known people in many more than that. Like_the_Roman is 100% right in his answer, as well as the reasoning behind it. There might be some exceptions out there, but I'm guessing they are few and far between.

Hell, I was working for one agency back in CA, and looking to apply at another. I was to go on a ride-along to see if that agency had a work-culture I liked. Upon arrival, I was told I could not carry my duty weapon, concealed or otherwise. I declined to ride that night and did not send in my application.

AZkopper

imported post

like_the_roman wrote:

I've worked for 3 different agencies, and known people in many more than that. Like_the_Roman is 100% right in his answer, as well as the reasoning behind it. There might be some exceptions out there, but I'm guessing they are few and far between.

Hell, I was working for one agency back in CA, and looking to apply at another. I was to go on a ride-along to see if that agency had a work-culture I liked. Upon arrival, I was told I could not carry my duty weapon, concealed or otherwise. I declined to ride that night and did not send in my application.

AZkopper

imported post

like_the_roman wrote:

kashmirsmp

imported post

No guns. Period lol. Some won't even let you bring a pocket knife, or a flashlight lol. Depending on the cops you ride with, he may allow some thing different though.

M&P.40

imported post

no carry permit ? wrote:
YOU PROBABLY DON'T HAVE A PERMIT BECAUSE YOU'RE A CONVICTED FELON:D

no carry permit ?

imported post

M&P.40 wrote:
no carry permit ? wrote:

Nope, I just find the level of stupidity hereamazing. Guys that need to ask about carrying while on a police ride along, a fool carrying to the area surrounding an Obama event in PA, and scores of open carry folks that don't think about the repercussions of their foolishness on everyone else. We could easily see open carry regulated away. Carrying of weapons can be regulated by States. It will not surprise me if some of the fools here are used as examples of why banning open carry is necessary. Some of you bizarre wackos ( like the Bible carrying /open carryfool in PA ) are seeking to create confrontations and then scream when they get what they went looking for. So yes I hope they convict the PA/ Bible nut and grind his gun to dust.

M&P.40

imported post

M&P.40 wrote:
no carry permit ? wrote:

I've notice in some of your previous post that you call members of this forum "idiots,nuts,fools andbizzare wackos as in your last post"why verbally assault them when you should help people to understand the things there doing wrong.because obviously you see things we don't.YOU SOUND KIND OF ANGRY.CALM DOWN! and lets work together to get issues solved rather than argue or verbally aussault people .you're on this forum so you must have the insight as everyone else here.

Prophet

imported post

The OP's question reminds me of a simpsons episode where Bart goes on a ride along and when back up fails to arrivethe cops end up giving Bart simpson (a ten year old) a hand cannon saying something along the lines of:

This goes against every regulation in the book but...will you cover us?

HAHAHA...i loved that episode.

But in seriousness I can see why they wouldn't allow it. They are responsible if you shoot somebody, they don't know how good of a shot you are, they are looking for trouble so it extends past your self defense etc. And think of all the snappy comebacks people give for: Why do you carry a gun? Because a cop is too heavy or a cop won't fit in my pocket. Here you actually WILL be surrounding by cops meaning to save you.

Now, I believe in the second amendment for numerous reasons, but if you want to go riding with cops and they would ratheryou be unarmed, i think they are within their rights.

Alec411

imported post

Few PD's permit non-sworn persons to be in a PD or municipal vehicle, and there ar two VERY GOOD reasons! I spent 30+ years as a FLEO, if you were permitted to go armed with me on a ride-along, there is a huge liability issue if you shoot someone.

While working, the last thing I needed was to have to worry about a "rider" to get in my way and further complicate a situation. Playin cop isn't as interesting as you think. If that is your wish, then be a cop.

Now someone is gonna say, what if I am better trained than you are. You may be able to "out-shoot" me (won't happen), but training extends far beyond "draw and shoot".

BTW the liability issue also extends to you!!!!!!! If there is a bad shoot, it is not just the Department that be sued! They are going to sue you, your wife, your kids, your high school gym teacher, the person that taught you to shoot, the gun store, the ammo maker, and two of your brothers!

rolexbenz190e

imported post

Let me just remind everyone that this question is not for me, its for my friend who asked me this question in a letter. So as for no carry permit ?'s rebuttle, I do need need to ask this question for my self, but for my friend. Alec411, i agree with everythig u just said. In no way are my friend and I trying to be a LEO when it comes to private citizens upholding the law in a ride along. My friend is currently awaiting to enter the academy in UT and I have applied as a translator for the one and only FBI. So as we can all see, we are going different routes. In no way are we trying to take the place of a LEO as a private citizen, and I'm sure ALL of us private citizens here who DO open carry/conceal carrydo it to prevent immidiate death/bodily harm to us and others, NOT to take the place of a LEO.

Just another simple question on this forum :D

Sean

Alec411

imported post

Dear Rolex:

Please ignore the dude who bubbled over. I question his IQ. Trust me he is not typical of the great people that regularly populate this site.

Now, part two of your question. Obviously you have the 2nd Amendment of the bill of rights, but remember that you also have the right to "waive your right. We all waive some right everytime we sign a liability waiver. For example, suppose you buy a ticket to ride on a carnival ride, there is usually on the back of the ticket, or perhaps on a posted sign, a sign that indicates that youwaive liability re: injury.

It is the same concept. I hope this helps. Take carre!

rolexbenz190e

imported post

Good point Alec411, i never thought about it that way. I have never gone o a ride along either. They probably make you sign all this paperwork "waiving" your rights to carry and to sue any one affiliated with the agency. I guess I'll have to ask my friend once he starts the academy. Thanks for pointing that out!

LEO 229

imported post

If you ride with my agency.... NO WEAPONS PERIOD!! No camera, flashlight, binocs, clubs.. Nada!!!

I can only imagine it has something to do with liability.