• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ruger 10/22

CRF250rider1000

imported post

I just picked one up yesterday and it is bone stock! What should I look into as far as cheaper scopes and rings. Are there any neccessary modifications that I should do right off the bat? This is more of a budget rifle:lol:

outsick

imported post

Clean moving parts vary well , lube , enjoy shooting. Take care with cleaners and plastic parts. Lots of info at rimfirecentral.com

M

mdgary

imported post

Might want to consider a 30rd or higher mag.becauseyou'll get tired of reloading those 10rd mags.

CRF250rider1000

imported post

mdgary wrote:
Might want to consider a 30rd or higher mag.becauseyou'll get tired of reloading those 10rd mags
I'll have to go pick one up tomorrow at Bob's:celebrate They may only have the 25's I'm not sure. What is the best one to get? Also any advice on cheap scopes and rings?

nova

imported post

I've had good luck with the plastic 30rd Eagle mags. Other's say bad things about them but mine has never had a single problem.

CRF250rider1000

imported post

nova wrote:
I've had good luck with the plastic 30rd Eagle mags. Other's say bad things about them but mine has never had a single problem.
I have heard of some people filing down some part on magazines, but I am unsure if that is the brand and what not? This Ruger should be fun! I love paying only 14 bucks for 550 rds vs almost 140 bucks for 550 of 9mm

Thundar

imported post

The Ruger 10/22 is a great little rifle. I have had lots of fun with mine. I think there are more accessory options for them than there are for any other rifle. I have had great fun using some of the high(er) capacity magazines. I bought two 25 round magazines. They are cheap (approx $20.00) each and last for 4-5000 rounds. Great for plinking! Buy a good buffer. I had a cheap Tasco scope on mine for a while. I think the rifle is more fun without the scope.

M

mdgary

imported post

I have a simmons 3.5 -10 x 50mm on mine with leoupold rings,the rings were bought at wallyworld i foregot how much$but not very expensive.the scope was taken off a 30.06 deer rifle so i just figured i would put it on the 10/22.It's very good for popping squirrels in the tree tops..simmons has cheap scopes that are very good and wallyworld has the BSA SCOPES don't know much about them but my friend has one on his deer rifle so they must be okay.THE SCOPE IS ONLY AS GOOD AS THE RINGS THAT HOLDS IT ON THE GUN..

CRF250rider1000

imported post

It's just stock. Sadly I let my mom borrow my Nikon D50 for her photo class or else I would take a pic. It is a wood stock with iron sights and black barrel and all. It is the base model. I am hoping to modify it soon:celebrate

M

mdgary

imported post

If you ever consider other accessories for
show_catimage.aspx
that gun visit www.tapco.com

Michigander

imported post

Bone stock, I think they are horrible rifles, especially the newer ones. They are very picky about ammo, and they have terrible triggers. I have a lot more respect for .22 rifles made by the likes of Remington, Winchester, Marlin, and others.

But if you want a nice custom .22, a Ruger is a great starting point with all the crap available for them.

Dustin

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
I just picked one up yesterday and it is bone stock! What should I look into as far as cheaper scopes and rings. Are there any neccessary modifications that I should do right off the bat? This is more of a budget rifle:lol:

I've had an Over/Under Tasco 4x32 on my Ruger for 10 years now.

I've put about 6,000 rounds thru it easy, never fails.

Thundar

imported post

Michigander wrote:
Bone stock, I think they are horrible rifles, especially the newer ones. They are very picky about ammo, and they have terrible triggers. I have a lot more respect for .22 rifles made by the likes of Remington, Winchester, Marlin, and others.

But if you want a nice custom .22, a Ruger is a great starting point with all the crap available for them.

You are right about the trigger, but the trigger creep can be fixed by anybody that is mechanically inclined. Mine has been extremely reliable, only twojams in over 15,000 rounds. Keep 'em clean and they are extraordinarily reliable.

I have to say that I also have other entry level .22LRs, namely the Marlin '60, Remington 597 and the Henry Big Boy. By far my favorite because of reliability, and shoot-ability is the 10/22. The worst IMHO is the 597 (Yes I have a high cap mag for it as well as the 10/22)

IMHO 250/1000 you picked the right entry level .22LR. I hope it gives you many hours of fun and enjoyment.

Dustin

imported post

Mine's 10 years are more older, and the trigger is fantastic. Breathe to hard and it falls. It's always been like that.

Maybe the new one's have a mushy trigger for safety. :?

CRF250rider1000

imported post

The stock sights flat out SUCK! I shot a few hundered rounds yesterday and I'm looking into a different pair of sights or a scope. I was also looking into stocks that aren't too expensive. I am looking at the Tapco with the adjustable stock right now. It seems like it would be a good fit. I do think I want a bipod for it, but I am unsure of what one to get. As for scopes, I have no idea what to get.:uhoh: I want to do 50yd shooting mainly I think.

I am going for this look minus the light and front grip.
2345433543_0b5ec8af95.jpg

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/RGR015-1.html