• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

pending emergency might force sale

uncoolperson

imported post

the world just comes to an end sometimes. As with all my toys, they are worth thousands upon thousands to me... but i know that isn't an accurate $ figure... what would be a fair price, will these get me out of the woods if i end up needing some cash, or should i plan on more?

my 1911 and m1 carbine might have to be removed from the gun cabinet.

http://flickr.com/photos/uncoolperson/377921194/in/set-72157594514825390/

1911 comes with a galco black shoulder holster, and serpa paddle (http://www.blackhawk.com/product1.asp?P=4206&C=C0893), original holster, 2 boxes orig ammo, orig mag, new barrel (didn't want to hurt the old one), 4 mags... I'm under the impression I'm the second owner.

Carbine has a a 5, 15, and 30 round mag (if i recall correctly), sling, and this setup http://flickr.com/photos/uncoolperson/429015416/ (minus bipod) which is currently removed.

full mags and some more ammo sitting around for the carbine.

I'm sorry, i hate the "how much is this worth" posts too... but really, I'd like to stay reasonable and I know I wouldn't without input.

sirpuma

imported post

If you can give more info on them it would help. There were several contracted manufacturers for both the M1 carbine and the 1911, there are also a few different variants.

uncoolperson

imported post

sirpuma wrote:
If you can give more info on them it would help. There were several contracted manufacturers for both the M1 carbine and the 1911, there are also a few different variants.

springfield built 1918 for the 1911, to an uncareful eye (most people that have seen it), the slide doesn't match the frame... it does match, both are springfield, it's the parts that were resting and rubbing against the holster that make it look unmatching.

from what i can tell the carbine is an inland i guess (looking http://home.att.net/~ra-carbines/history.html), serial 372xxx.

the carbine is fairly pretty, aside from me being an idiot and removing the rear sight pin (currently held in with an adhesive). Haven't yet figured out the yellow circle and number 2 on the bottom of the stock.

sirpuma

imported post

The M1 carbine could be worth between $700-$1000 depending on the quality of it's condition and whether or not it has all the original matching parts.

The 1911 could be worth as much as $2500, again, depending on condition.

Obviously if they've had recent modifications or repairs it will lower the value, but there's your ball park.

Marcus

uncoolperson

imported post

It's been decided... they've got to go.

if sold in response to this post on OC.org 10% donated.

first reasonable offer, not looking to start a bidding war.
I plan on running to the hills this coming weekend, feel free to come toss a few down range.

uncoolperson

imported post

so, the 1911 after looking over what i have into it, I'm thinking 1500, the carbine 700, and I need to add a sporterized 1903 for 200 to my for sale list.

uncoolperson

imported post

offers?

ohh... and I misspoke with labeling the pistol "springfield".. it's a colt with a springfield stamp on it (that's how they were done then).

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

In regards to the M1 Carbine

Depending on exactly where the circle is (usually on the bottom of the pistol grip or forward portion of it) this may be a re-arsonal proof stamp. They normally had a "P" in the circle. Not sure what the "2" is for. From the photo you furnished the stock looks like a Type 5 "Potbelly" which I think is post WWII. Were there any other stamps on the stock. A manufacturers carteuch was stamped on the right side of the stock between the sling well and pistol grip. It would either look like a circle with crossed cannons or a box with letters inside. The slingwell (left side) would have a stamp as well.

I've refinished allot of WWII carbine stocks for my boss.

uncoolperson

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:

Depending on exactly where the circle is (usually on the bottom of the pistol grip or forward portion of it) this may be a re-arsonal proof stamp. They normally had a "P" in the circle. Not sure what the "2" is for. From the photo you furnished the stock looks like a Type 5 "Potbelly" which I think is post WWII. Were there any other stamps on the stock. A manufacturers carteuch was stamped on the right side of the stock between the sling well and pistol grip. It would either look like a circle with crossed cannons or a box with letters inside. The slingwell (left side) would have a stamp as well.

it's a big painted yellow circle on the bottom of it, with a marker "2" on it.
(you can kinda make it out in that photo)

I haven't seen any obvious cartouches on it.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

uncoolperson wrote:
Task Force 16 wrote:

it's a big painted yellow circle on the bottom of it, with a marker "2" on it.
(you can kinda make it out in that photo)

I haven't seen any obvious cartouches on it.

OK, I don't know what that's about. The proof marks and all other carteuches would have been stamped directly into the wood. US arsonals didn't put any paint on the stocks. Some foreign militarys did. I've had to clean a bunch of foreign markings painted on stocks before I could refinish then. The last photo you linked to again looks like a Type 5 stock. It was the last stock design made. I have a carbine with a Type 3 stock, with Rocola markings.

I'll ask my boss about the serial number. He'd have a better idea about the value of the carbine from that. But then it depends on how well matched up all the parts are with the reciever, meaning having the "correct" parts by manufacturer that would have originally been installed in the gun when it was delivered to the US Military. Since all parts made by various companies were interchangable, Weapons that were used during the war often got rebuilt and the weapons became "cross breeds", if you will. That's what mine is ( Rocola stock, IBM reciever, Winchester slide, the rest unknown "to me").