• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Soliciting Contributions for Case Against Denver & Colorado

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

[sup]Current Balance: $270 Paypal, $75 Snailmail[/sup]

I got the approval from my attorney to discuss this issue publicly, in order to solicit contributions.

I intend to file a lawsuit against the City and County of Denver for refusing to accept applications for concealed handgun licenses for non-residents of the state of Colorado, for Denver Municipal Code 38-117 (which bans open carry), as well as suing the state of Colorado for their violation of my state citizenship rights by prohibiting the recognition of my Florida carry license under SB07-34 because I am a resident of Washington State. This is in violation of the privileges and immunities clause of the 14th amendment, under Ward v. Maryland and Saenz v. Roe My attorney is John Monroe, who is legal counsel for GeorgiaCarry.org and has scored several victories in both Georgia and federal court in regards to the gun rights of Georgians.

As a result of Colorado's law of SB07-34, as well as Denver the spectre of open carry ban, I had a life threatening experience when coming back when I flew back in from Colorado, that actually happened here in Washington State.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/11286.html

This is a 42 USC 1983 civil rights action against Denver and Colorado, not a personal injury case related to the above incident (as this would properly be against the person who actually rammed the vehicle I was in)

We are targeting Denver as well for three specific reasons:

1) The Sheriff's Departments and the DPD are the issuing authority for licenses in the state of Colorado. Targeting only the State of Colorado solely would be imprecise as they are not the ones issuing licenses.

2) Denver has an open carry ban. Denver fight all the way to the Colorado Supreme Court to keep their open carry ban and they are only keeping it by the skins teeth of the fact that they ruled 3-3. Suing the City and County of Denver forces them to make a choice: Either repeal their open carry ban or start accepting applications and approving licenses to carry.

3) There is also a privileges and immunities issue that will likely be addressed by their passage of SB07-34 preventing me as a Washington State resident from being able to comply with state law. This violates my civil liberties as they (State of Colorado) are discriminating against me based on state citizenship, and this violates Saenz.

What will follow is roughly this pattern in terms of what the court would do:

A) A ruling whether or not three legal situations in concert violate my second amendment rights as a visitor to the City of Denver and State of Colorado under Saenz and Ward precedents.

B) If the court agrees that they do, the federal court would proscribe the proper relief (striking down the Denver OC ban, or striking down "no non-resident licenses" provision). At that point, the losing side can appeal to the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals in Salt Lake City.

C) If we win, under the same provisions of federal statute, we can put in a demand for attorneys fees and court costs payment from the state and the city.

I know that there are many thousands effected by the law change, and it's time to fight back against the anti-gunners in Denver. I myself can contribute some money to the effort but since there are so many affected by the SB07-34 law (which prohibits recognition of non-resident licenses of reciprocal states), I'm hoping that some others may be willing to help shoulder the load. Though John Monroe is a good attorney who doesn't charge an outrageous rate, he does have to travel to Colorado and he needs to be able to make a living just like any of us, and has bills to pay. I myself am in the same boat, and cannot simply drop thousands of dollars into this case in one fell swoop.

Goyke v. Toomer

The above complaint is a partial example of what will be filed against Denver.

I have a paypal account that you may donate to, at lonnie.wilson @ comcast.net, put in there "Colorado case" and I will send it to my attorney. If you prefer snail mail/fedex/UPS or whatever delivery services, you can send it my attorney directly at:

John Monroe
re: Colorado Case
9640 Coleman Rd
Roswell, GA 30075

I am also working on getting an account set up with Second Amendment Foundation for funds donations. As SAF is a tax exempt legal entity (they primarily do legal work), all donations to SAF that are earmarked for the Colorado case will be TAX DEDUCTIBLE.

Regards,

Lonnie Wilson

jarhead1911A

imported post

I have just as much right to speak my mind as others do to ask for money. Hey i have to pay for filling fee's for my case against PPD maybe i should ask for money as well??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Seems to work for others

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

jarhead1055 wrote:
I have just as much right to speak my mind as others do to ask for money. Hey i have to pay for filling fee's for my case against PPD maybe i should ask for money as well??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Seems to work for others
If you need it, ask for it and see who helps. That I believe is the general idea here.

jarhead1911A

imported post

True i could ask for money for my fight and yes because i was OCing the situation is what it is, However my issue is directly related to OC and yet i dont think its right to ask others for money.

Personally id be more than happy to fly myself and my gun down to denver and carry in the hopes that i would be arrested and charged. Then i 2 can sue denver for violating my civil and constitutional rights.

So maybe i should as for people to set up a fund to bail me out of jail. No Court has the right or the power to deny anyone there consitutional rights but they do have the responsiblity to uphold that which they took an oath to uphold.

Besides i am pritty sure that if this hit the media gun owners and constituntional rights activists will have something to say and it might just bring people together for one common goal.

If you believe in something then stand for what you believe in or get arrested trying :celebrate

d0od

imported post

jarhead1055 wrote:
I have just as much right to speak my mind as others do to ask for money. [snip]
You don't have the right to say anything on this privately owned forum, the owners are allowing you to share your opinion.

jarhead1911A

imported post

d0od wrote:
jarhead1055 wrote:
I have just as much right to speak my mind as others do to ask for money. [snip]
You don't have the right to say anything on this privately owned forum, the owners are allowing you to share your opinion.
So your saying that because this is privately owned i have to check my 1st amendment rights at the door?

BlaineG

imported post

d0od wrote:
jarhead1055 wrote:
Of course you have the right to say it, but according to the terms of use you agreed to, they may delete it if they choose. The Bill of Rights actually enumerates rights the Gubment is not allowed to make laws against and sometimes does not cover private property. Personally, I've a history of being asked to leave a couple boards because I consider the 1A right fairly absolute, but woe, it is not.

jarhead1911A

imported post

I am of the belief that you cant have the 1st amd without the 2nd so if i am asked to leave by the owners so be it but i believe what i believe in and i will stand up for what i believe.

There are members on this forum that dont agree with me and thats fine, There are members here who dont like me. The case with Lonnie in point i have nothing agianst him i just dont agree with his tactics for a game plan. But i will back him because we are all here for the same goal i think.

Gray Peterson

imported post

Jarhead, if you're attending the next gather, it looks like it'll happen in Saturday evening in either Seattle, Tacoma, or Puyallup for dinner. Since I get off work at 4PM I will be there. Feel free to come meet me in person.

-Lonnie

Gray Peterson

imported post

Puyallup PD responded back about 2 years ago saying that their officers were "aware of the laws". Nothing in specific. They were sent the Federal Way bulletin, though, so they have no excuse to say "we didn't know it was legal" when the eventual lawsuit from Jarhead and Technoweenie comes.

-Lonnie