• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry In A Vehicle?

Mustang T.J

imported post

Hello to everyone. I would like to start off by saying I’m a new member & found this site very informative. I’m an advocate of open carry from every aspect.

I have done extensive research and have learned a great deal on the legalities in my home state of Michigan.

My question is as follows:

Is open carry in my vehicle permitted under state law, in other words can I OC in my vehicle as long as the firearm is exposed and in plain sight (open view)?

I would like to add that I’m a proud gun owner, but not of legal age to attain my concealed carry permit.

If it is not legal, I would like to know if there are any alternatives, such as glove box storage, under the seat etc? unloaded of course.

There’s something about parking at my local Wal-Mart.Going to my trunk, getting the Glock, followed by chambering a round in public view etc; seems to me like this could scare people??? Which I do not want to do.

Thank You,

Respectfully T.J.

warlockmatized

imported post

The only way to "carry" in a vehicle is with a CPL. By entering the vehicle, even if the firearm is in plain view, it becomes "concealed" by the vehicle itself. Hence a concealed pistol license IS required. OC is something we do while on foot.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Mustang T.J wrote:
There’s something about parking at my local Wal-Mart.Going to my trunk, getting the Glock, followed by chambering a round in public view etc; seems to me like this could scare people??? Which I do not want to do.

Thank You,

Respectfully T.J.

We havn't heard of anyone being scared by this. Could it happen, sure, but will it, unlikely. Some members are very good at loading in the trunk, they do it all with their hands inside the truck and only "show" the weapon when they bring it up to attach to their belt via clip on, orthrough the belt.

warlockmatized

imported post

Venator wrote:
Mustang T.J wrote:

Thank You,

Respectfully T.J.

Some members are very good at loading in the trunk, they do it all with their hands inside the truck and only "show" the weapon when they bring it up to attach to their belt via clip on, orthrough the belt.
EXACTLY how i ALWAYS do it and i have YET to have a bad experience.