• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

a novice review of a few gun I shot today

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

So today some friends and I went out shooting. Here is what I THINK of the guns I shot today.

460 Mag with scope,

Glock 27 .40cal night sights

Glock20 10mm

XDm 40cal,

Springfield 1911 A1 .45 ACP with laser, Crimson trace

J-frame 357mag.

J-frame .38 Special laser grip, Crimson trace

Kimber 10mm, after market grips, rubber. ( my old kimber)

Sigp229 with laser/light attachment, night sights

anda Remington 870also AR15 Carbine

Some of these pistols were asked about in this sectionof ODCOso I will just give my input on these handguns.

First off the 460 Mag is a BEAST:what:It was my first time shooting any handgun over a .44 mag. The first time I fired this gun everyone laughed at me. :what:The said I was like a grandma hahaAll I could see was a huge fireball out the muzzle ( Now I wish I took pictures, butI was too lazy) If someone like me stands too close to the side of someone while theyfiring this things the percussion hits hard, and also does the fire. This gun can be fired with one hand, but I did not try it. It will explode a pumpkin no problem with a direct hit. I did feel the kick all the way into my shoulder at times when I shot this thing.

Compare shooting this revolver tothe J frame 357mag. The .357 calls for more control than the 460mag. I mean with the 460mag you need to hold on to the revolver after you shoot it.When shooting the 357mag in J frame it will throw your weak hand off of the gun at times. Everyone said the 357.mag had more punch than the 460mag. The 460mag had about a12in barrel with scope.

The 357Mag even at about 50feet was really accurate. You will really be surprise as to how accurate this gun was compared to the others. It was really on par with all the other none scoped weapons we had. The J-frame is really a backup gun, but if this was all you had to use, and had to use it at a distance it would work. Trust me on this. Also when the 357mag hit the target you knew you were shooting a mag round, even from a small j-frame the mag hits THE TARGETharder than the .40cal. (SURE DID)

the .38special it was cute to fire. Nothing like the 357mag at all in power or kick. But at distance still again right on the money, the laser made things much easer also. Wherever the laser was pointed there the round went every time.

Glock 20. Hits my hands hard, I did not really shoot it much. But again accurate gun at 40-60 feet our Avg shooting distance I estimate. The sights i did not like. the front was around dot, and back was the U shape. but I can see how it could be effective, but i did not like using it.

Kimber 10mm Smooth shooting, accurate also very powerful gun, trigger, pointing, recoil, all top of the line. It use to me my gun, and if I could describe this gun in one word it would be SWEET.

Glock 27 It beat my every expectations of a Glock. it had a really good trigger, and the recoil was not hard felt as in other Glocks I have fired. The Quality of the gun, I mean the appearance and finish was poor. Other than that it was one hell of a gun, and for CC it worked wonderfully. It has a really rapid fire rate, and did not move too much for a sub-compact 40cal. This gun has changed my view on Glocks, but it has not convinced me to buy one because of the Sigp229

Sig229, As one of my friends called it, " The Cadillac of pistols" "A whole- nother pistol than the rest" and yes it was. I liked the looks of this gun. From seeing it with the laser/light combo made it look ready for action, orlike SOCOM or DELTA would have on them.

The night sights really came to light at night as did the Glock 27's. the Feel of the pistolwasPERFECT. well let me change that, the feel of the gun was PERFECT, beforeduring and after shooting. The recoil, was like it almost went straight back more than up. It did not movemuch at all. in a night time shootout against XDm and Glock 27, 4 targets each. The sig 229blew us away in performance. Of course the laser/light had something to do with it, on top of that the night sights, but that gun rocks. I will be getting a Sig229 for my next gun. or a Sig in .45ACPif they make one in .45 like the .40.

The owner said the Sig was a bit too thick for CC, and he will only carry it in DA not SA because there is no play in the trigger in SA.

With the Sig'strigger in DA it was a steady pressure pull, and crisp brake, in SA mode, all I can say is, 1911 style feel,hands down, no questions asked no 2nd guessing, this pistolisthe closes to a 1911 trigger you can find in anything other than a 1911 pistol.When I was leaving my friend's house, the thought came to my mind to ask him could I keep his Sig for him until he returns from Iraq, that's how much i loved that gun. Oh the brake down is simple just like the DXm's Slide, lock,Click,slide,slide done

XDm shooting feels good onrecoil, even with SD hollow points. It felt like I was shooting target rounds. It does not shoot target ammo as good a SD rounds, I even noticed this my first time with it at the range. I mean it was really bad i could not hit anything.

Still there is lots of creep in the trigger, but yet it is still better than the Old XD .40cal. It is a good looking gun, it will get the job done, hi round count in this pistol is sweet,the sights are really good, but with a gun like this night sights should come standard in the (M) moreaspect, springfield really slept on the sights now that I see i need them, (note to everyone, get yourself some night sights before you realize you should have had them already.) This was a really good gun to shootbut it is not a Sigp229.

Springfield 1911 A1 45ACP

From the factory the sight are dead on the mark. Jams? What jams? There werenone!! feed everything well, the recoil was like shooting a 9mm or.40cal. my Laser was off over 25-30 feet or so but the stock sights was not. Rapid fire yep. trigger was really crisp. This gun is good for a starter butit lacks all the extras that the more expensive 1911s have, (you guys know what I am talking about) But for a basic starter 1911 that you can trust with your life, it is a good gun period.

For a Aim point and shoot type of gun it will do you right, if you are into reloading with speed, orbetter looks, a bettergrip andsafetyswitch, or beaver tail, this gun is not for you, but to own a 1911 that cost under $400 you will not go wrong with this gun. yes it shoots 230gr no problem. I am happy with this 1911, I CC it, this gun is a fullsize pistol and I trust my life with it. Oh I tried to do a speed reload with it and the mag does not fall out like it should. also I just cleaned this gun before shooting it

This isjust anovice review of some of the guns I shot today, maybe it will help someone out that is looking for one of these gun.

David.Car

imported post

Nice to seeanother person enjoying the "To Hell and Back" Sig. The P220, 226, and 229 are all very similar firearms.

The P220 comes in .45

The P220 and P229 have the shorter barrels (at 3.9")

The P226 is the full sizer with the longer barrel and some extra weight

And if interested in a Sig that doesn't just shoot like a 1911 but is a 1911... Well they have those too.

Dustin

imported post

I've yet to fire a SIG :(

IMO, Glocks are so light, it affects my follow up shot speed.

My XDM is heavier which allows me to double tap more accurately

Being that SIG's are almost all metal, I can only assume that double taps and follow ups should be easier.

I'll see one day :cool:

American Rattlesnake

imported post

David.Car wrote:
Nice to seeanother person enjoying the "To Hell and Back" Sig. The P220, 226, and 229 are all very similar firearms.

The P220 comes in .45

And if interested in a Sig that doesn't just shoot like a 1911 but is a 1911... Well they have those too.
Actually the P220 has a 4.4" barrel just like the P226. There are smaller versions of the P220 offered that have a shorter barrel, but the standard configuration is very much like the P226.

http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=6&productid=94

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

American Rattlesnake wrote:
David.Car wrote:

The P220 comes in .45

Actually the P220 has a 4.4" barrel just like the P226. There are smaller versions of the P220 offered that have a shorter barrel, but the standard configuration is very much like the P226.

http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=6&productid=94

Yes you are right, it is a 4.4 barrel. That is more along the lines of what I am looking for in a pistol. My friend did show me the barrel on the P229 and he was like "but it has this short barrel" that may have been the only let down out of thegun.

I am not sure why I never even considered the Sig line of pistol. I really did not like the looks of that gun, but after shooting that P229 I really fell in love with it.

If any of you own a Sig, how do you carry it, in SA or DA?

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Dustin wrote:
I've yet to fire a SIG :(

IMO, Glocks are so light, it affects my follow up shot speed.

My XDM is heavier which allows me to double tap more accurately

Being that SIG's are almost all metal, I can only assume that double taps and follow ups should be easier.

I'll see one day :cool:
You really do not know what you are missing. The XDm has really good nonslip slid serrations, the sig's are even better, but it is only on the rear of the gun. Throw in a laser/light set up, and you'll have one hell of a home defence pistol.

smash29

imported post

Alwayspacking wrote:

DA, seems to me that they're really not designed to be carried SA, but then again what do I know.

And I'm speaking of the standard DA/SA trigger.

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

smash29 wrote:
Alwayspacking wrote:

DA, seems to me that they're really not designed to be carried SA, but then again what do I know.

And I'm speaking of the standard DA/SA trigger.
Yeah that the guy said, I guess is not that bad because the DA is so smooth, even though the Sig site says it is over 10lbs or pressure it really feels like less to pull the trigger

smash29

imported post

Yeah, when I was, shall we say,a more"inexperienced shooter" I surprised myself a few times at the range with the relatively light and short SA pull and theBANG that followed soon after. :uhoh: Luckily this happened while i was actually shooting and not just handling the gun (I did learn the "finger off the trigger" rule...) so the only damage was to my ego.

SA with an external safety would be one thing, SA with my decocker only Sig another...

compmanio365

imported post

Was able to shoot a Sig once, held many since then, I like them a lot, and they can't be all bad if the FBI/Coast Guard/etc has decided they are right for their teams........just wish I would come across one that was affordable when I have the cash in hand.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Alwayspacking wrote:
American Rattlesnake wrote:I am not sure why I never even considered the Sig line of pistol. I really did not like the looks of that gun, but after shooting that P229 I really fell in love with it.

While we know you are asking about DA/SA P-series Sigs, be aware that the P-series also come in DA only and a SA only model (P226 X-five), and that Sig also makes a whole line of traditional 1911 pistols.

As to my SA/DA P-series Sig, I carry Condition 2 ... loaded, one in the pipe and decocked with the decocker. That is how the Sig DA/SA P-series are designed to be carried. They do not have a manual safety for safe "cocked and locked" carry. I really like the Sigs and intend to own several more in the future.

357luvr

imported post

I used to have a very unique Sig 229. Picture is worth a thousand words so....

untitled-1.jpg

Stainless steel frame
two toned slide
tritium night sights
front slide serrations
NO accessory rail

Weird gun but selling it is seen as one of the biggest regrets I've ever had. Money problems, ain't they a :cuss:?!?! See my review of the gun here http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum5/487.htmlAll I can say is that it was by far, the bestpistol I ever had.

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

357Luver I know what you mean about haveing to sell a gun because of money problems, I feel your pain. That Sig looks nice by the way. sorry you had to let it go, and it was the best pistol I have ever shot or seen shot also.

357luvr

imported post

Sig's are like AR's in the sense that they all look just down right mean. You've got me wanting another Sig and I found the 226 SCT http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=7&productid=202and I'm seriously considering getting this as my next gun. Here are some of the high points;

All black with Nitron finish
Tritium rear sight, Fiber Optic front sight
Comes with 4 15 round mags
front slide serrations

I found a coupleon gunbroker rangingfrom $862 to $885. I think the added capacity and number of mags make it worth the extra $100-something that it costs over a plain Jane 226

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

357luvr wrote:
Sig's are like AR's in the sense that they all look just down right mean. You've got me wanting another Sig and I found the 226 SCT http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=7&productid=202and I'm seriously considering getting this as my next gun. Here are some of the high points;

All black with Nitron finish
Tritium rear sight, Fiber Optic front sight
Comes with 4 15 round mags
front slide serrations

I found a coupleon gunbroker rangingfrom $862 to $885. I think the added capacity and number of mags make it worth the extra $100-something that it costs over a plain Jane 226

Aww Beautiful:lol:...Every time I see a sig I think about the one I shot the other day, and when he had that laser/light that thing was ready for action. for home defencethe laser/light is really come in handy. I saw how effective it was in darkness, (the light lights op the area really well, and the laser shows you where the round will hit.)

Note: my missing the reset on the XDm had me concerned. so ipractice with the rest and I think i was just pulling the trigger too quickly before the slide got to position. The reset is not too bad at all, but the Glock Reset was better than the XDm but the XDm is still not too far forward.

357luvr

imported post

Aw man, I completely forgot about you mentioning a G20 and G27!!!

First, the G20 would be my ultimate pistol if it wasn't for the cost of ammo. The 'beer can' type grip on it takes some getting used to but I prefer large framed pistols and revolvers MOST of the time.

The most obvious exception to that rule would be the G27. This particular weapon pointed better than any other gun I've ever handled. I'm not saying it was the most accurate, I'm saying that if I just picked it up and fired a shot, I would be closer with the G27 than any other firearm I've ever handled. That sadly includes the Sig.

Now as for the Sig, I would think that the magazines by themselveswould be worth a good portion of the extra hundred and some dollars. The way I see it, regular Sig magazines run $35-45 a piece, add in the cost of the extensions and you're looking at $45-50 for each magazine. Seeing as how you only get 2 with a regular Sig and you get 4 with the SCT, the SCT capacity pretty much pays for itself.

Oh yeah, as far as the light/laser thing, I can't afford one of those. I may be able to afford a light but not a light/laser combo. Especially after I spend close to a thousand dollars on a gun for it to be mounted to. Either way, a combo unit would be nice but I think a simple light would be sufficient for my needs.

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Yeah I have a hand held 125 lumen light that I use. I was going to buy a the same laser/light to mount to my XD for the home Defence, but the wife is not too happy about me buying all the gun stuff.Someday after I get a job I will buy this thing, I chose to get the hand held light because I can take it out with me on the streets.

on the Glock 20 my hand does not sit correctly on that thing, so in 10mm I would go with the Kimber.

tripledipper

imported post

This dinosaur can't even give a review, but was way out in the boonies of WV at arangethis weekend and shot the S&W MP40, a Glock 21 and a .38 snubbie (mine). I was surprised what a smooth shoot and how accuratethe .40 & .45 were with very little recoil compared to a Glock 19 and Ruger .357 I had shot previously, but stilllike my little pocket gun. Too old to change, I guess.:lol:

Lykosis