Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Truck Rifle

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Lorton, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    77

    Post imported post

    I just read all of Section 18 of the Virginia code and did not see anything prohibiting a loaded rifle or shotiein a vehicle in plain sight. Are their other code sections on hunting or what not that would prohibit same? How much tractioncould an over zealous LEO getmaking outan overhead weaponsmount as being concealed? -Jay

  2. #2
    Regular Member Harper1227's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lorton, VA
    Posts
    387

    Post imported post

    Jason Rogers wrote:
    I just read all of Section 18 of the Virginia code and did not see anything prohibiting a loaded rifle or shotiein a vehicle in plain sight. Are their other code sections on hunting or what not that would prohibit same? How much tractioncould an over zealous LEO getmaking outan overhead weaponsmount as being concealed? -Jay
    I don't know, but i think you're cute.



  3. #3
    Regular Member Marco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Greene County
    Posts
    3,844

    Post imported post

    http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...cod+15.2-915.2
    § 15.2-915.2. Regulation of transportation of a loaded rifle or shotgun.

    The governing body of any county or city may by ordinance make it unlawful for any person to transport, possess or carry a loaded shotgun or loaded rifle in any vehicle on any public street, road, or highway within such locality. Any violation of such ordinance shall be punishable by a fine of not more than $100. Conservation police officers, sheriffs and all other law-enforcement officers shall enforce the provisions of this section. No ordinance adopted pursuant to this section shall be enforceable unless the governing body adopting such ordinance so notifies the Director of the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries by registered mail prior to May 1 of the year in which such ordinance is to take effect.

    The provisions of this section shall not apply to duly authorized law-enforcement officers or military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, nor to any person who reasonably believes that a loaded rifle or shotgun is necessary for his personal safety in the course of his employment or business.

    (1976, c. 506, § 18.2-287.1; 1977, c. 377; 1989, c. 50; 2004, c. 462.)


    [line]


    Hope that helps.

    Marco
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.


    ~Alan Korwin

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    US
    Posts
    3,156

    Post imported post

    Agent19 wrote:
    http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...cod+15.2-915.2
    § 15.2-915.2. Regulation of transportation of a loaded rifle or shotgun.

    The governing body of any county or city may by ordinance make it unlawful for any person to transport, possess or carry a loaded shotgun or loaded rifle in any vehicle on any public street, road, or highway within such locality. Any violation of such ordinance shall be punishable by a fine of not more than $100. Conservation police officers, sheriffs and all other law-enforcement officers shall enforce the provisions of this section. No ordinance adopted pursuant to this section shall be enforceable unless the governing body adopting such ordinance so notifies the Director of the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries by registered mail prior to May 1 of the year in which such ordinance is to take effect.

    The provisions of this section shall not apply to duly authorized law-enforcement officers or military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, nor to any person who reasonably believes that a loaded rifle or shotgun is necessary for his personal safety in the course of his employment or business.

    (1976, c. 506, § 18.2-287.1; 1977, c. 377; 1989, c. 50; 2004, c. 462.)


    [line]


    Hope that helps.

    Marco
    Why did they put this crap in with preemption? Obviously it's not that important to them considering you can only be cited for $100. Seems as though just another way to create revenue at the cost of 2A rights...

  5. #5
    Regular Member Marco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Greene County
    Posts
    3,844

    Post imported post

    Here is more info.
    http://vaguninfo.com/

    courtesy of nakedshoplifter
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.


    ~Alan Korwin

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    830

    Post imported post

    Jason Rogers wrote:
    I just read all of Section 18 of the Virginia code and did not see anything prohibiting a loaded rifle or shotiein a vehicle in plain sight. Are their other code sections on hunting or what not that would prohibit same? How much tractioncould an over zealous LEO getmaking outan overhead weaponsmount as being concealed? -Jay
    go to vdgif website, and look at county regs. many counties ban loaded rifles and shotguns from sundown to sunrise. Goochland county is one of these,

  7. #7
    Regular Member Marco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Greene County
    Posts
    3,844
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.


    ~Alan Korwin

  8. #8
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580

    Post imported post

    nova wrote:
    Agent19 wrote:
    o
    Why did they put this crap in with preemption? Obviously it's not that important to them considering you can only be cited for $100. Seems as though just another way to create revenue at the cost of 2A rights...
    I still don't understand WHY the parks are not in conflict with PREEMPTION and I really don't understand where DGIF has any authority under PREEMPTION, to regulate the off season of open carry?

    What in hell would the charge you with, trespassing?

  9. #9
    Regular Member Thundar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Newport News, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,961

    Post imported post

    I do not keep my long guns "loaded" anyways. I define loaded as one in the pipe. Some cities have given verybroad definitions of loaded.

    Richmond defines loaded as ammo with the gun. So if I have ammunition on the other side of my cheek sock, even on a single shot bolt action rifle with the bolt retracted and the breech open, Richmond says you are loaded. Evil city, Richmond is.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

    The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitableand let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come . PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Yorktown, VA, ,
    Posts
    270

    Post imported post

    Just in case you decide to mount...



    Big Sky Racks

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Louisa County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    821

    Post imported post

    Thundar wrote:
    I do not keep my long guns "loaded" anyways. I define loaded as one in the pipe. Some cities have given verybroad definitions of loaded.

    Richmond defines loaded as ammo with the gun. So if I have ammunition on the other side of my cheek sock, even on a single shot bolt action rifle with the bolt retracted and the breech open, Richmond says you are loaded. Evil city, Richmond is.
    May as well add all the other public places carrying is off limits.

    You have rights, butthey stop atgovernment property?!?!?!:shock:

  12. #12
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    , Virginia, USA
    Posts
    236

    Post imported post

    Glock27Bill wrote:
    May as well add all the other public places carrying is off limits.

    You have rights, but*they stop at*government property?!?!?!:shock:
    [/quote]

    Thats because you will never need to defend yourself from them!!!

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    418

    Post imported post

    peter nap wrote:
    nova wrote:
    Agent19 wrote:
    o
    Why did they put this crap in with preemption? Obviously it's not that important to them considering you can only be cited for $100. Seems as though just another way to create revenue at the cost of 2A rights...
    I still don't understand WHY the parks are not in conflict with PREEMPTION and I really don't understand where DGIF has any authority under PREEMPTION, to regulate the off season of open carry?

    What in hell would the charge you with, trespassing?
    My own speculation here... it would appear to me that we have two sets of gun laws, written for two different audiences. Section 18 deals with firearms in the general public, while Section 15 deals with hunting regulations.

    In another thread somewhere on this board, was a question regarding open carry in National Forests. While looking at that gentleman's question I realized there appears to be a conflict with the restrictions found in the hunting laws, when compared to the 'general' firearms code.

    At some point, this will need to be tackled at the legislative level.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    469

    Post imported post

    Agent19 wrote:
    ....nor to any person who reasonably believes that a loaded rifle or shotgun is necessary for his personal safety in the course of his employment or business....

    So what exactly defines "business"? Do they mean it as in "going about your business", or from a working aspect? And how would an officer who stopped you be able to tell if you reasonably believe that you need it?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •