• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Truck Rifle

Jason Rogers

imported post

I just read all of Section 18 of the Virginia code and did not see anything prohibiting a loaded rifle or shotiein a vehicle in plain sight. Are their other code sections on hunting or what not that would prohibit same? How much tractioncould an over zealous LEO getmaking outan overhead weaponsmount as being concealed? -Jay

Harper1227

imported post

Jason Rogers wrote:
I just read all of Section 18 of the Virginia code and did not see anything prohibiting a loaded rifle or shotiein a vehicle in plain sight. Are their other code sections on hunting or what not that would prohibit same? How much tractioncould an over zealous LEO getmaking outan overhead weaponsmount as being concealed? -Jay

I don't know, but i think you're cute.

;)

Marco

imported post

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+15.2-915.2
§ 15.2-915.2. Regulation of transportation of a loaded rifle or shotgun.

The governing body of any county or city may by ordinance make it unlawful for any person to transport, possess or carry a loaded shotgun or loaded rifle in any vehicle on any public street, road, or highway within such locality. Any violation of such ordinance shall be punishable by a fine of not more than $100. Conservation police officers, sheriffs and all other law-enforcement officers shall enforce the provisions of this section. No ordinance adopted pursuant to this section shall be enforceable unless the governing body adopting such ordinance so notifies the Director of the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries by registered mail prior to May 1 of the year in which such ordinance is to take effect.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to duly authorized law-enforcement officers or military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, nor to any person who reasonably believes that a loaded rifle or shotgun is necessary for his personal safety in the course of his employment or business.

(1976, c. 506, § 18.2-287.1; 1977, c. 377; 1989, c. 50; 2004, c. 462.)

[line]

Hope that helps.

Marco

nova

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+15.2-915.2
§ 15.2-915.2. Regulation of transportation of a loaded rifle or shotgun.

The governing body of any county or city may by ordinance make it unlawful for any person to transport, possess or carry a loaded shotgun or loaded rifle in any vehicle on any public street, road, or highway within such locality. Any violation of such ordinance shall be punishable by a fine of not more than $100. Conservation police officers, sheriffs and all other law-enforcement officers shall enforce the provisions of this section. No ordinance adopted pursuant to this section shall be enforceable unless the governing body adopting such ordinance so notifies the Director of the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries by registered mail prior to May 1 of the year in which such ordinance is to take effect.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to duly authorized law-enforcement officers or military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, nor to any person who reasonably believes that a loaded rifle or shotgun is necessary for his personal safety in the course of his employment or business.

(1976, c. 506, § 18.2-287.1; 1977, c. 377; 1989, c. 50; 2004, c. 462.)

[line]

Hope that helps.

Marco
Why did they put this crap in with preemption? Obviously it's not that important to them considering you can only be cited for $100. Seems as though just another way to create revenue at the cost of 2A rights...:banghead:

67GT390FB

imported post

Jason Rogers wrote:
go to vdgif website, and look at county regs. many counties ban loaded rifles and shotguns from sundown to sunrise. Goochland county is one of these,

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

nova wrote:
Agent19 wrote:
Why did they put this crap in with preemption? Obviously it's not that important to them considering you can only be cited for $100. Seems as though just another way to create revenue at the cost of 2A rights...:banghead:

I still don't understand WHY the parks are not in conflict with PREEMPTION and I really don't understand where DGIF has any authority under PREEMPTION, to regulate the off season of open carry?

What in hell would the charge you with, trespassing?

Thundar

imported post

I do not keep my long guns "loaded" anyways. I define loaded as one in the pipe. Some cities have given verybroad definitions of loaded.

Richmond defines loaded as ammo with the gun. So if I have ammunition on the other side of my cheek sock, even on a single shot bolt action rifle with the bolt retracted and the breech open, Richmond says you are loaded. Evil city, Richmond is.

Renegade

imported post

Just in case you decide to mount... :D

ELS-270-wAR15-M4.jpg

Big Sky Rackshttp://bigskyracks.com/lawracks.html

Glock27Bill

imported post

Thundar wrote:
I do not keep my long guns "loaded" anyways. I define loaded as one in the pipe. Some cities have given verybroad definitions of loaded.

Richmond defines loaded as ammo with the gun. So if I have ammunition on the other side of my cheek sock, even on a single shot bolt action rifle with the bolt retracted and the breech open, Richmond says you are loaded. Evil city, Richmond is.

May as well add all the other public places carrying is off limits.

You have rights, butthey stop atgovernment property?!?!?!:shock:

coltcarrier

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Glock27Bill wrote:
May as well add all the other public places carrying is off limits.

You have rights, but they stop at government property?!?!?!:shock:
[/quote]

Thats because you will never need to defend yourself from them!!!:dude:

Armed

imported post

peter nap wrote:
nova wrote:
Agent19 wrote:

I still don't understand WHY the parks are not in conflict with PREEMPTION and I really don't understand where DGIF has any authority under PREEMPTION, to regulate the off season of open carry?

What in hell would the charge you with, trespassing?

My own speculation here... it would appear to me that we have two sets of gun laws, written for two different audiences. Section 18 deals with firearms in the general public, while Section 15 deals with hunting regulations.

In another thread somewhere on this board, was a question regarding open carry in National Forests. While looking at that gentleman's question I realized there appears to be a conflict with the restrictions found in the hunting laws, when compared to the 'general' firearms code.

At some point, this will need to be tackled at the legislative level.

mercutio545

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
....nor to any person who reasonably believes that a loaded rifle or shotgun is necessary for his personal safety in the course of his employment or business....

So what exactly defines "business"? Do they mean it as in "going about your business", or from a working aspect? And how would an officer who stopped you be able to tell if you reasonably believe that you need it?