• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NRA on the Virginia Senate Race

The Donkey

imported post

NRA says:

"Virginia

With the retirement of anti-gun Senator John Warner, R, there is another opportunity for gun owners to increase their support in the Senate.

Not only was former Governor Jim Gilmore, R, a strong supporter of gun owners’ rights while in office, he has continued his support by becoming a member of the NRA Board of Directors. As governor from 1998 to 2002, Gilmore supported NRA efforts to establish Project Exile and was a strong advocate in Richmond.

Also in the race is former Governor Mark Warner, D. As governor, Mark Warner signed over 20 pro-gun bills, and was a valuable ally for gun owners and sportsmen. However this race turns out, the good news is that Virginia gun owners will have a stronger voice in the U.S. Senate after John Warner retires."

IanB

imported post

Hey Donkey,

How has your boy Webb been for gun owners? Didn't he make some promises that he so far has not delivered on? Shameful. Can we expect the same from Warner... lip service and promises and non-action once elected?

Why do you only show up here at OCDO when elections are nigh?

Thundar

imported post

Donkey, you are correct. Almost anything, including my dog, would be better that that gun grabbing statist scum bag John Warner. But I'm not voting for my dog or that elitist Mark Warner or that lying populist Gilmore.

Very typical to indicate that the choice is poison A or Poison B.Both are poison. I choose instead to drink from the wellspring of liberty....

REDPATH for Senate

Mark Warner is really working on the quasi liberal rural vote though, gotta hand it to him. The Eastern Shore is littered with large orange Sportsmen for Warner signs already. (Very typical Democrat tactic to try and divide the gun vote, which I predict will be followed by a typical Republican tactic of scaring the public with Warner will help them confiscate your guns nonsense.)

hsmith

imported post

ccunning wrote:
I had not heard anything bad about Webb regarding his gun record. What did I miss?
I don't think Webb has don't anything bad or voted against any pro gun bills.

But I think his point was Webb hasn't introduced anything good

IanB

imported post

Dear Virginia Sportsmen and Gun Owners,

As a long-time member of the National Rifle Association, you can imagine my surprise when I received a mailing in the form of an Orange Card saying "VOTE FREEDOM FIRST ON NOVEMBER 7 - VOTE GEORGE ALLEN FOR THE U.S. SENATE!"

I am writing this letter to make certain that no Virginia sportsmen or gun owner has any question concerning my stand on Second Amendment and sportsmen rights.

To be clear, I value and will defend your right of self-defense. As a Marine combat veteran who shot "double expert" and once taught the .45 pistol to Officer Candidates, and as a former Secretary of the Navy under Ronald Reagan, I know first hand the importance of armed self-defense by law-abiding citizens as a deterrent to criminals, and in the long term, to would-be tyrants.

I have possessed a concealed-carry permit for many years, and shoot regularly. I have made no secret during this campaign of the fact that I carry. I support a national concealed carry permit. I also will sponsor a bill in the United States Senate that repeals the National Park Gun Ban that disarms only law-abiding citizens in Interior Department/National Park Service across Virginia. And I intend to get it to the floor for a vote.

Please compare this background with that of my opponent. Individual Second
Amendment Rights are ingrained into my Scots-Irish culture, and I stand where I
stand.

On the sporting side, I support opening up more Federal land for sportsmen. Federal land is, after all, the property of all Americans. In addition, I support air and water quality measures that improve wildlife habitat. I will be monitoring the "Farm Bill" and its wildlife habitat programs to make sure that Virginia and our abundance of National Forest lands gets its fair share of funding for our wildlife programs.

You can also imagine my frustration when I received my NRA magazine and saw there was a question mark beside my grade. Only after complaining to the NRA did they finally post my grade on their website. I got an "A" which was purposefully omitted from the NRA orange card that, to my shock, urged a vote for George Allen. The question is, why did they not mention my own lifetime of support on these issues?

In order to fully clear the air, I am making public my 2006 NRA Candidate Survey. You can find that at http://www.webbforsenate.com/nrasurvey.pdf I challenge George Allen to do the same. We should have no more secret surveys in Virginia when it comes to our right to keep and bear arms.
Please help me clear up this deliberate distortion by an organization that I must regretfully conclude has more on its agenda than protecting the earned Second Amendment rights of our citizens.

The Donkey

imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
I also will sponsor a bill in the United States Senate that repeals the National Park Gun Ban that disarms only law-abiding citizens in Interior Department/National Park Service across Virginia. And I intend to get it to the floor for a vote.

I believe that Webb is one of the signatoriesto Sen Mike Crapo's letter requesting repeal of the regulation establishing the Park Ban that has been the initial focus of efforts in the Senate. Word is that the Interior Dept is about to act on the letter, likely repealing the ban.

http://blog.vcdl.org/index.php?/archives/258-National-Parks-Rule-Imminent.html#c496

To get stuff like this done in the Senate, you need toknow how to work with others.

Thundar

imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
Dear Virginia Sportsmen and Gun Owners,

As a long-time member of the National Rifle Association, you can imagine my surprise when I received a mailing in the form of an Orange Card saying "VOTE FREEDOM FIRST ON NOVEMBER 7 - VOTE GEORGE ALLEN FOR THE U.S. SENATE!"

I am writing this letter to make certain that no Virginia sportsmen or gun owner has any question concerning my stand on Second Amendment and sportsmen rights.

To be clear, I value and will defend your right of self-defense. As a Marine combat veteran who shot "double expert" and once taught the .45 pistol to Officer Candidates, and as a former Secretary of the Navy under Ronald Reagan, I know first hand the importance of armed self-defense by law-abiding citizens as a deterrent to criminals, and in the long term, to would-be tyrants.

I have possessed a concealed-carry permit for many years, and shoot regularly. I have made no secret during this campaign of the fact that I carry. I support a national concealed carry permit. I also will sponsor a bill in the United States Senate that repeals the National Park Gun Ban that disarms only law-abiding citizens in Interior Department/National Park Service across Virginia. And I intend to get it to the floor for a vote.

Please compare this background with that of my opponent. Individual Second
Amendment Rights are ingrained into my Scots-Irish culture, and I stand where I
stand.

On the sporting side, I support opening up more Federal land for sportsmen. Federal land is, after all, the property of all Americans. In addition, I support air and water quality measures that improve wildlife habitat. I will be monitoring the "Farm Bill" and its wildlife habitat programs to make sure that Virginia and our abundance of National Forest lands gets its fair share of funding for our wildlife programs.

You can also imagine my frustration when I received my NRA magazine and saw there was a question mark beside my grade. Only after complaining to the NRA did they finally post my grade on their website. I got an "A" which was purposefully omitted from the NRA orange card that, to my shock, urged a vote for George Allen. The question is, why did they not mention my own lifetime of support on these issues?

In order to fully clear the air, I am making public my 2006 NRA Candidate Survey. You can find that at http://www.webbforsenate.com/nrasurvey.pdf I challenge George Allen to do the same. We should have no more secret surveys in Virginia when it comes to our right to keep and bear arms.
Please help me clear up this deliberate distortion by an organization that I must regretfully conclude has more on its agenda than protecting the earned Second Amendment rights of our citizens.

Webb is a pompous ass (no pun intended Donkey) but on this matter he is correct. If he keeps bashing the damn NRA he might actually gain my respect.

This is not the first NRA slight of politicians in Virginia that support FULL gun rights for Virginians. Remember this is the same NRA that punted and refused to endorse, or even grade Dr. Tabor in his run for the VA Senate. Dr. Tabor has done more to stand up for gun rights in Virginia than the NRA ever has.

The part that really bothers me about the Democrat's attempts to win gun votes is their stratification of gun owners into sportsmen and others as if being a hunter gives you either more or less legitimacy as a gun owner.

REDPATH for Senate

TexasNative

imported post

That's all well and good, Donkey, but Webb promised to introduce a bill and get it to the floor. He's almost a 3rd of the way through his term, and we still wait.

ccunning

imported post

TexasNative wrote:
That's all well and good, Donkey, but Webb promised to introduce a bill and get it to the floor. He's almost a 3rd of the way through his term, and we still wait.
I don't know. If it gets done and he helps get it through, I'm not going to hold the fact that he's not the sponsor against him.

I think when it comes to this issue, a pro-gun Democrat is more valuable to the cause than another pro-gun republican.

hsmith

imported post

ccunning wrote:
TexasNative wrote:
I don't know. If it gets done and he helps get it through, I'm not going to hold the fact that he's not the sponsor against him.

I think when it comes to this issue, a pro-gun Democrat is more valuable to the cause than another pro-gun republican.
Webb is a much better friend to the 2nd than his worthless counterpart in there now.

rebfan

imported post

Warner is an Obama suck up. Do you really think he would do anything with guns that would piss off Obama? Guns are but one issue, and would vote with the Dems across the board, which of course is his right. However, that would be bad for us in so many ways.

Thundar

imported post

rebfan wrote:
Warner is an Obama suck up. Do you really think he would do anything with guns that would piss off Obama? Guns are but one issue, and would vote with the Dems across the board, which of course is his right. However, that would be bad for us in so many ways.

You are right, Warner is an elitist Obama suck up, but Gilmore is a liar and a Bush suck up. Gilmore would be as detrimental for liberty as Warner. Neither has the ability to buck party politics and really stand for our Republic. Gun grabbers have been slowed, but we must not take our eye off of the ball. Who is the only candidate that will introduce the repeal of the 1968 FOPA?

Vote for liberty and freedom.

REDPATH for Senate

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

The Donkey wrote:
nakedshoplifter wrote:
I also will sponsor a bill in the United States Senate that repeals the National Park Gun Ban that disarms only law-abiding citizens in Interior Department/National Park Service across Virginia. And I intend to get it to the floor for a vote.

I believe that Webb is one of the signatoriesto Sen Mike Crapo's letter requesting repeal of the regulation establishing the Park Ban that has been the initial focus of efforts in the Senate. Word is that the Interior Dept is about to act on the letter, likely repealing the ban.

http://blog.vcdl.org/index.php?/archives/258-National-Parks-Rule-Imminent.html#c496

To get stuff like this done in the Senate, you need toknow how to work with others.
So your saying Webb was overreaching and doesn't know how to work with others?

longwatch

imported post

So your saying Senator Webb has played a direct role in getting this bill through committee?

The Donkey

imported post

How would you or I know?

He is not on the judiciary committee.

What I do think is that the bill would not have likely made it through committee with such a large margin if it wasn't for the letter the Senator signed onto.

Why argue with success?:celebrate

Thundar

imported post

hsmith wrote:
Webb is a much better friend to the 2nd than his worthless counterpart in there now.

If you are referring to Sen. John Warner you are correct. That turd needed to be flushed long ago.

We really should not be satisfied with the scraps from the pork barrel table that are doled out like a great accomplishment. Warner and Gilmore are both pathetic apologists for the status quo where the violation of 2A rights is commonplace.

In this election though we really do have a great friend to the entire constitution, including the 2A.

REDPATH for Senate

longwatch

imported post

The Donkey wrote:
How would you or I know?

He is not on the judiciary committee.

What I do think is that the bill would not have likely made it through committee with such a large margin if it wasn't for the letter the Senator signed onto.

Why argue with success?:celebrate
But you just said he was getting us what we want, sounded like you knew he was directly working for this bill, but you admit that you have no such knowledge. What gives?