• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Official "No Firearm" Sign?

azebolsky

imported post

Ok, had a brief conversation with a friend of mine who happens to work as a security officer in Lakeview Square Mall in Battle Creek, and he told me that the mall itself was a "No Firearm" zone. I've since been in there, and didn't see the yellow triangle sticker on the doors anywhere that said "No Firearms". I called him, and he said it's on a sign, posted INSIDE the first set of doors.

I went in, and sure enough, there on the mall's "Code of Conduct" is a "No Firearms/Weapons" bit. Does this constitute a legal no firearms sign, or is it supposed to be posted on an external surface?

Technically, you'd be breaking the rules just by getting far enough in to read the sign right?

Also, there is no graphic or easily read sign posted anywhere. It's just a bit of text, 22 pixels high, arial font. Without knowing exactly where to look, you would never, ever see this sign.

Discuss.

*S*

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

azebolsky wrote:
Ok, had a brief conversation with a friend of mine who happens to work as a security officer in Lakeview Square Mall in Battle Creek, and he told me that the mall itself was a "No Firearm" zone. I've since been in there, and didn't see the yellow triangle sticker on the doors anywhere that said "No Firearms". I called him, and he said it's on a sign, posted INSIDE the first set of doors.

I went in, and sure enough, there on the mall's "Code of Conduct" is a "No Firearms/Weapons" bit. Does this constitute a legal no firearms sign, or is it supposed to be posted on an external surface?

Technically, you'd be breaking the rules just by getting far enough in to read the sign right?

Also, there is no graphic or easily read sign posted anywhere. It's just a bit of text, 22 pixels high, arial font. Without knowing exactly where to look, you would never, ever see this sign.

Discuss.

*S*
There is no "legal " signage in Michigan law in this regard. Any sign will work. The Mallhas made it clear that firearms are banned. Now if you enter the mall OCing and they see you they can have you arrested for trespassing if they want. The sign is the first warning. Just because you may not have seen it doesn't necesarrily give you an excuse to trespass, that would be up to a court case.

Also if you went in concealing and had to use your firearm for a lawful purpose, there are some that suggest you might lose your "stand your ground" protection and your protection from civil action, since you are "technically" trespassing and you're are not there lawfully. Againa test in court would be nedded.

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

You may very well be screwing yourself now that you have posted on a public message board that you ARE aware of the sign...... as well as EVERYONE else that reads this.

Thanks, we can't even argue that we "didn't know" now.:?

jbone

imported post

How about writing the corporation that owns the Mall to see if it’s their policy orLocal Mall management? Corporate may have a different View. I wrote Lowes Store Corporation to find they were pro gun and follow laws of the state, which trumps local store management.

azebolsky

imported post

Doug, respectfully, if you don't want to risk it, then don't patronize the place? Myself, I walked through the mall concealed not even a week before I knew it was unfriendly to firearms, and noticed not one single sign anywhere else in the building stating no firearms. I have emailed General Growth Properties, and am currently waiting for a response other than, "We have received your request for further contact/information." I will post back on if this is a particular location's policy, or if it is indeed a corporate policy put into place by GGP.

Rogue9er

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Venator,

In PA, the sign holds no legal weight whatsoever, they have to ask you to leave first, and only after refusing to go can you be charged with trespassing. Is the MI rule that you're trespassing the instant you go in to a posted store?

GWbiker

imported post

jbone wrote:
How about writing the corporation that owns the Mall to see if it’s their policy orLocal Mall management? Corporate may have a different View.
A complete waste of time, IMO. General Growth Properties, which is headquartered in CHICAGO, owns some 200 malls across the USA.

All major malls in Tucson and nearby are owned by GGP and are posted no firearms! I recently spoke with the head man of one mall in Tucson who told me they have a hot line to security and can have an armed response to the mall within minutes.

When I countered with"when seconds count, the police are minutes away", he gave me a blank look. The man just didn't understand personal defense!

Venator

imported post

Rogue9er wrote:
Venator,

In PA, the sign holds no legal weight whatsoever, they have to ask you to leave first, and only after refusing to go can you be charged with trespassing. Is the MI rule that you're trespassing the instant you go in to a posted store?
I believe it's unclear, no law specifically states that, that I'm aware of. But a legal argument could be made and a court case would have to be decide. One would be taking their chances. I had an attorney that stated a case "out east" where a man was convicted of trespassing, based on a small pamphlet at the information desk, that stated no firearms. The court decided that that was enough notification. All I'm saying is it's a gray area and each person has to weight the risk of going unarmed or not.

Dan F.

imported post

I am unclear if signage alone is enough to invoke the "no weapons/trespass" clause of the public act covering firearms on private property. There are several other requirements in other ordinances/public acts that list specifications for signage in order for the sign to be the defacto notification. Consider, for instance, in Michigan an upright "handicapped" sign must be permanently affixed to an immovable mount visible immediately in front of the space reserved for a handicapped or disabled person in order for the "handicapped reserved parking ordinance" to be invoked and a ticket issued. In other words, if the upright sign isn't posted, it isn't a designated handicapped space no matter what may be painted on the pavement (think of winter snow cover). Other public acts list minimun sign dimensions for compliance.

Dan F.

imported post

BTW. The Altell store in Big Rapids, MI has a VERY small sign affixed a little above waist level to the left of the entrance to their store. I had come and gone in that store literally for years while CC-ing before I spotted that store on the "No Firearms" list on MCGRO. I do not beleive that tiny sign is sufficient to cause someone overlooking same to be in violation of the "No Firearms/Trespass" clause of the public act covering the carrying of firearms in Michigan. Although, as with anything, the final test is a trial and possibly judgement by your peers... YMMV.

Bronson

imported post

Contacting the mall isn't going to do any good. We are not their customers, the stores are their customers. Those of us in the area need to inform every single store inLakeviewSquare Mall that we will not be patronizing their establishments because the mallrules limit our ability to protect ourselves. Let the stores put the pressure on the mall managment because they are losing revenue.

Bronson

Venator

imported post

Bronson wrote:
Contacting the mall isn't going to do any good. We are not their customers, the stores are their customers. Those of us in the area need to inform every single store inLakeviewSquare Mall that we will not be patronizing their establishments because the mallrules limit our ability to protect ourselves. Let the stores put the pressure on the mall managment because they are losing revenue.

Bronson
Good point. As long as the Mall gets rent it's happy.

SQLtables

imported post

Venator wrote:
Bronson wrote:

Bronson
Good point. As long as the Mall gets rent it's happy.
Yes, good point, BUT, I think you'd have a hard time getting enough stores on board to make the "mall people" listen. Hopefully I'm wrong though.

Tucker6900

imported post

I think the only way to get the Mall to allow firearms is to contact the owners of said facility.The stores in the mall merely lease space from the property owners. They dont own it. However, I believe they may be able to make their own rules per store, but I may be wrong. It would be very difficult to try and get every store to change its stance on firearms in the building. Take the Meridian Mall, there are 118 stores in that place. That would be huge undertaking trying to contact, and turn 118 corporations around.

That said, I believe the contacting the property owners would be the best bet. Not the stores.

sneak

imported post

Rogue9er wrote:

It is my understanding of the law in Michigan as explained to me by LEOs in the past (as a result of my urban exploration activities) that this is also the case in Michigan.

Then again, we all know how well LEOs understand the law that they're supposed to be enforcing (as well as some of the nonexistent ones they like to enforce), and neither am I a lawyer, so this is purely anecdotal.

Perhaps someone versed in finding things in the state code could drop the book on trespassing on us?

Cheers,
-jp

karlmc10

imported post

I'm not an attorney but.... From everything I've read and been told by those that should know, those signs are meaningless. They have to ask you to leave and then you must comply or face tresspassing charges. I know this is an open carry forum but I would think that most here would agree that if it comes down to CC or no means of SD then you CC. on the few occasions I go to malls or anywhere else they have those signs I CC, get what I'm after and leave. That is, of course, if I can't get the same thing elsewhere more gun friendly.

Venator

imported post

karlmc10 wrote:
I'm not an attorney but.... From everything I've read and been told by those that should know, those signs are meaningless. They have to ask you to leave and then you must comply or face tresspassing charges. I know this is an open carry forum but I would think that most here would agree that if it comes down to CC or no means of SD then you CC. on the few occasions I go to malls or anywhere else they have those signs I CC, get what I'm after and leave. That is, of course, if I can't get the same thing elsewhere more gun friendly.
Which is swell for those that have a license but many don't what then?