• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Interesting thing happened while OC'ing at the Capitol today.....

kenny

imported post

I've been in the building a dozen or more times carrying concelaed with a permit and never had a problem. I'm sorry for those of you who did on that day. It is not the norm.

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
matt605 wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
I didnt view it as being detained....so no harm, no foul.

No offense intended, and none taken as you say. But were you free to leave while he had your identificationand handgun permit? Were you free to proceed to see your representative while he had your identity and handgunpermit? An officer does something to restrict your going or coming, then that's being detained. In this case, it is doing his job as set forth by the Joint Rules Committee.

Maybe he just intended to mess with you a little because he doesn't like the law that protects your 2nd Amendment freedoms. Or because he didn't like your looks.

:dude:
You are required to show CHP - is this being detained - No

Officer wanted to get clarification - is this being detained - No

I do not subscribe to manufacturing problems not in evidence - are we mind readers: "maybe - intended to mess with you, doesn't like the law, didn't like your looks." IMO - statements like this do nothing for seeking cooperation.

ProShooter didn't view it as being detained, why would anybody else? He is no neophyte.

Yata hey

I agree 100%. IWAS NOT DETAINED!

It is ridiculous to read my post and think I was detained, or to tell me what happened to me.

The officer was very friendly and later smiled and asked me how I enjoyedthe visitas I left. I thought of the whole experience as an indicator of just how little the officer was concerned about my openly carried firearm! He took my word on thepolicy when it vaguely jived with what he recalled.

Neplusultra

imported post

matt605 wrote:
You're used to seeing the "We card under 25" sign in the local convenience store? I saw a "We card under 40" sign once. The law says 21 for purchase of alcohol, but safer is better, and we can't chance it that a 20 year old who looks 40 might try to buy alcohol illegally.

Be happy. In Georgia they card "everyone", even if you're 90!!! I guess just to be fair to everyone :^).

Tacitus

imported post

I was one of the people that open carried on Sep 9 to the Crime Commission meeting. Not detained, not harassed, just CHECKED. Took about a minute, because there was a line. State Troopers were professional and correct, until one of the senior ones gave testimony to the Commission that was obviously biased and from the looks of the members of the Commission they knew it. Not quite a lie, but not far from it... Delagate Albo even commented very pointedly to the audience at the hearing that those of carrying were 'the good guys, and not a problem'.

Walked across town with Phil VanCleave for lunch, no problems. Came back and toured the Capitol, still OCing, and even looked into the governor's office. No problems, but then, the governor was out...

kenny

imported post

F Y I they are Capital Police not State Troopers. However the uniforms look very similar. They are the authority having jurisdiction on all state property other than VCU/MCU. VSP is the provider of security for the Governor and his family.

matt605

imported post

SicSemperTyrannis wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
matt605 wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
I didnt view it as being detained....so no harm, no foul.

No offense intended, and none taken as you say. But were you free to leave while he had your identificationand handgun permit? Were you free to proceed to see your representative while he had your identity and handgunpermit? An officer does something to restrict your going or coming, then that's being detained. In this case, it is doing his job as set forth by the Joint Rules Committee.

Maybe he just intended to mess with you a little because he doesn't like the law that protects your 2nd Amendment freedoms. Or because he didn't like your looks.

You are required to show CHP - is this being detained - No

Officer wanted to get clarification - is this being detained - No

I do not subscribe to manufacturing problems not in evidence - are we mind readers: "maybe - intended to mess with you, doesn't like the law, didn't like your looks." IMO - statements like this do nothing for seeking cooperation.

ProShooter didn't view it as being detained, why would anybody else? He is no neophyte.

Yata hey

I agree 100%. IWAS NOT DETAINED!

It is ridiculous to read my post and think I was detained, or to tell me what happened to me.

The officer was very friendly and later smiled and asked me how I enjoyedthe visitas I left. I thought of the whole experience as an indicator of just how little the officer was concerned about my openly carried firearm! He took my word on thepolicy when it vaguely jived with what he recalled.

TyrannisRex, I wouldn't presume to say exactly what happened to you. But if you accidentally mis-reported the facts and weren't aware of the way you may have been mistreated, then we should discuss it. Under any circumstance, police should not overtly or mockingly mistreat or detain law abiding citizens.

Guy working a magnotometer didn't know who was allowed in the building with a gun. Okay, I'll buy that if that's what you say. Maybe he was just sharing a joke (you)with his boss and meant no harm by it.

matt605

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
matt605 wrote:
You're used to seeing the "We card under 25" sign in the local convenience store? I saw a "We card under 40" sign once. The law says 21 for purchase of alcohol, but safer is better, and we can't chance it that a 20 year old who looks 40 might try to buy alcohol illegally.

Be happy. In Georgia they card "everyone", even if you're 90!!! I guess just to be fair to everyone :^).

I don't doubt it. Maybe the rule in Georgia is that if you can hold the ID in your shaky hand without dropping it, then you're okay enough for a purchase. Don't let the surviving relatives see that card drop to the ground on the security camera when the lawsuit comes around though.

I hear they have some opiate-like stuff that grows naturally in the grapes used in the MD 20/20 and Cisco wines. Like Ecstacy, the DEA hasn't mapped out a chemical compound to prohibit it yet. Same thing with China and Starbucks. Coca in the leaves is bleeding into the beans.

Always carry for your own safey, and the safety of others too.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

I hear they have some opiate-like stuff that grows naturally in the grapes used in the MD 20/20 and Cisco wines. Like Ecstacy, the DEA hasn't mapped out a chemical compound to prohibit it yet. Same thing with China and Starbucks. Coca in the leaves is bleeding into the beans.

Wow, you really do have this whole "government conspiracy" thing going on, huh?

I hear that D.B. Cooper has a meeting with Elvis and Jimmy Hoffanext week at Area 51.....maybe you could join them for lunch!

:)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

ProShooter wrote:

Wow, you really do have this whole "government conspiracy" thing going on, huh?

I hear that D.B. Cooper has a meeting with Elvis and Jimmy Hoffanext week at Area 51.....maybe you could join them for lunch!

:)

Let him shrivel up and blow away. It's obvious what he is!

Yata hey

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

Matt605: Where are you from? Have you been to Virginia or the state capitol?Do you know anything about our culture or practices? Why would you tell me I am mis-reporting my own experience (without questioning any specific words from my post)? Why would you change my name from SicSemperTyrannis to TyrannisRex - that's name calling (Tyrannis Rex - King Tyrant). The guy running the magnometer was in his 60's - he was no police-state employee, just an old guy. And I certainly was not mocked.

Why am I bothering to feed the troll? Please go away, and leave Virginia alone.

matt605

imported post

SicSemperTyrannis wrote:
Matt605: Where are you from? Have you been to Virginia or the state capitol?Do you know anything about our culture or practices? Why would you tell me I am mis-reporting my own experience (without questioning any specific words from my post)? Why would you change my name from SicSemperTyrannis to TyrannisRex - that's name calling (Tyrannis Rex - King Tyrant). The guy running the magnometer was in his 60's - he was no police-state employee, just an old guy. And I certainly was not mocked.

Why am I bothering to feed the troll? Please go away, and leave Virginia alone.

Okay I'm sorry. I was making a joke about Tyrannisaurus Rex, implying that you were old like a dinosaur. "Sic Sempter Tyrannis" is Virginia's state motto from the Revolutionary War.

There are no special, naturally occuring substance in MD 20/20 or Cisco wines, and there is no cocaine in Starbucks coffee served in China, although cocaine and chocolate do come from the same tree, cocain from the leaves, chocolate from the beans. Becuase coffee beans also come from Colombia, cocaine is often shipped in with the beans and can find its way into the final product, especially in China, where all sorts of things find their way into the final product.

Building security people who work magnotometers should always know with certainty who can carry a gun into the building.

grimstar

imported post

matt605 wrote:

There are no special, naturally occuring substance in MD 20/20 or Cisco wines, and there is no cocaine in Starbucks coffee served in China, although cocaine and chocolate do come from the same tree, cocain from the leaves, chocolate from the beans.

Quite wrong. Chocolate and Cocaine do NOT originate from the same plant...not even close... Cocaine is refined from the leaves of the Coca plant ...(as in, Coca-Cola...which did originally contain cocaine, about 90 years ago) Chocolate is made from beans from the Cacao plant...which is most definitely not the same.

http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/c/cacao-02.html

Misinformation hurts us all, Knowledge is Power

Grimstar

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

grimstar wrote:
matt605 wrote:
snipped as useless

Quite wrong. Chocolate and Cocaine do NOT originate from the same plant...not even close... Cocaine is refined from the leaves of the Coca plant ...(as in, Coca-Cola...which did originally contain cocaine, about 90 years ago) Chocolate is made from beans from the Cacao plant...which is most definitely not the same.

Grimstar
psst - he doesn't care.

Yata hey

matt605

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
grimstar wrote:
matt605 wrote:
snipped as useless

Grimstar
psst - he doesn't care.

Yata hey

http://www.lawbuzz.com/movies/blow/blow_story_ch3.htm

It always seemed strange that the leaves contained cocaine but the bean contained chocolate. Interesting that three of the USA's most popular substances, coffee, chocolate, and cocaine all originate from South America in great volume.

matt605

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
don't feed the troll
Building security people who work magnotometers should always know with certainty who can carry a gun into the building.