Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Judge: No guns for desk duty cops

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Dumfries, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    243

    Post imported post

    Interesting story about some NJ LEOs that were stripped of thier firearms during an investigation.

    http://www.nj.com/news/times/regiona...xml&coll=5

    It's interesting to me that even cops understand that when a weapon is taken away from a person - the person is at the mercy of others.

  2. #2
    Regular Member Huck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Evanston, Wyoming, USA
    Posts
    647

    Post imported post

    "The gun is the emblem of being a police officer," Dougherty said.

    That statement right there probably explains why many LEOs dont like open carry.

    When my dad was on LAPD in the late 1940s he said that the badge was the emblem of a cop because anybody could have a gun but only cops had abadgeand a gun.
    "You can teach 'em, but you cant learn 'em."

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Catasauqua, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    3,047

    Post imported post

    Huck wrote:
    "The gun is the emblem of being a police officer," Dougherty said.

    That statement right there probably explains why many LEOs dont like open carry.

    When my dad was on LAPD in the late 1940s he said that the badge was the emblem of a cop because anybody could have a gun but only cops had abadgeand a gun.








  4. #4
    Regular Member Huck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Evanston, Wyoming, USA
    Posts
    647

    Post imported post

    Nice badge. Will it gett you free coffee and donuts?

    However, folks didnt carry badges in the 1940s unless they were cops. I was pointing out the difference between what cops consider their "emblem" then as compared to now.

    "You can teach 'em, but you cant learn 'em."

  5. #5
    Regular Member Deanimator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Rocky River, OH, U.S.A.
    Posts
    2,086

    Post imported post

    Back in '96, Illinois was debating a state predecessor to the Lautenberg Amendment, that would have banned convicted domestic abusers from owning or possessing firearms. When the Chicago Fraternal Order of Police found out that cops weren't exempted, they went positively INSANE. They went on National Public Radio and issued a series of tirades against the law which were by turns whiny and threatening. One of their "arguments" was that you couldn't take the gun from a cop convicted of beating his wife's brains out, because that was his "tool of the trade". If the interviewer had had two braincells to rub together he or she would have replied, "A hitman's gun is HIS tool of the trade; does Sammy 'The Bull' Gravano get to keep HIS gun for the same reason?"

    More recently, the Chicago cop who stomped the barmaid who wouldn't serve him because he was drunk went to court to get his gun back because he would be on unpaid leave otherwise. Strangely, the judge didn't think a 300lb. drunk who hits women and tries to intimidate them and witnesses should have a gun while he's facing 10+ felony counts. Go figure... Of course the FOP also said that you couldn't take the gun from an angry violent cop because that would just make him MORE angry and violent. Boy, I'll bet Officer Abbate's REALLY angry and violent, NOW...
    --- Gun control: The theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Catasauqua, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    3,047

    Post imported post

    Huck wrote:
    Nice badge. Will it gett you free coffee and donuts?

    However, folks didnt carry badges in the 1940s unless they were cops. I was pointing out the difference between what cops consider their "emblem" then as compared to now.
    I got your point, but was exploiting the opportunity to make fun of "concealed carry badges".

  7. #7
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    DFW, Texas, USA
    Posts
    429

    Post imported post

    imperialism2024 wrote:
    Huck wrote:
    Nice badge. Will it gett you free coffee and donuts?

    However, folks didnt carry badges in the 1940s unless they were cops. I was pointing out the difference between what cops consider their "emblem" then as compared to now.
    I got your point, but was exploiting the opportunity to make fun of "concealed carry badges".
    Thank heavens. I was afraid someone actually carried/displayed that "badge".

  8. #8
    Campaign Veteran deepdiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Southeast, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    5,974

    Post imported post

    The badge and ID are the symbols of being a police officer. The gun is the right of every American.

    Welcome to being a regular NJ citizen, officers. Maybe you will take a different position than the FOP the next time "reasonable regulation" rears its ugly head in constitutionally restrictive NJ.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

  9. #9
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487

    Post imported post

    imperialism2024 wrote:
    Huck wrote:
    Nice badge. Will it gett you free coffee and donuts?

    However, folks didnt carry badges in the 1940s unless they were cops. I was pointing out the difference between what cops consider their "emblem" then as compared to now.
    I got your point, but was exploiting the opportunity to make fun of "concealed carry badges".
    lol, and who could blame you?

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    935

    Post imported post

    Deanimator wrote:
    Back in '96, Illinois was debating a state predecessor to the Lautenberg Amendment, that would have banned convicted domestic abusers from owning or possessing firearms. When the Chicago Fraternal Order of Police found out that cops weren't exempted, they went positively INSANE. They went on National Public Radio and issued a series of tirades against the law which were by turns whiny and threatening. One of their "arguments" was that you couldn't take the gun from a cop convicted of beating his wife's brains out, because that was his "tool of the trade". If the interviewer had had two braincells to rub together he or she would have replied, "A hitman's gun is HIS tool of the trade; does Sammy 'The Bull' Gravano get to keep HIS gun for the same reason?"

    More recently, the Chicago cop who stomped the barmaid who wouldn't serve him because he was drunk went to court to get his gun back because he would be on unpaid leave otherwise. Strangely, the judge didn't think a 300lb. drunk who hits women and tries to intimidate them and witnesses should have a gun while he's facing 10+ felony counts. Go figure... Of course the FOP also said that you couldn't take the gun from an angry violent cop because that would just make him MORE angry and violent. Boy, I'll bet Officer Abbate's REALLY angry and violent, NOW...
    Why would he not be able to have a gun? He wasn't convicted of a felony was he?

  11. #11
    Regular Member Deanimator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Rocky River, OH, U.S.A.
    Posts
    2,086

    Post imported post

    nitrovic wrote:
    Deanimator wrote:
    Back in '96, Illinois was debating a state predecessor to the Lautenberg Amendment, that would have banned convicted domestic abusers from owning or possessing firearms. When the Chicago Fraternal Order of Police found out that cops weren't exempted, they went positively INSANE. They went on National Public Radio and issued a series of tirades against the law which were by turns whiny and threatening. One of their "arguments" was that you couldn't take the gun from a cop convicted of beating his wife's brains out, because that was his "tool of the trade". If the interviewer had had two braincells to rub together he or she would have replied, "A hitman's gun is HIS tool of the trade; does Sammy 'The Bull' Gravano get to keep HIS gun for the same reason?"

    More recently, the Chicago cop who stomped the barmaid who wouldn't serve him because he was drunk went to court to get his gun back because he would be on unpaid leave otherwise. Strangely, the judge didn't think a 300lb. drunk who hits women and tries to intimidate them and witnesses should have a gun while he's facing 10+ felony counts. Go figure... Of course the FOP also said that you couldn't take the gun from an angry violent cop because that would just make him MORE angry and violent. Boy, I'll bet Officer Abbate's REALLY angry and violent, NOW...
    Why would he not be able to have a gun? He wasn't convicted of a felony was he?
    He's been stripped of his badge and powers of arrest. He's under indictment for more than ten felonies. If I'm not mistaken, he's also got an order of protection against him by the victim, doubtless because of his previous witness tampering/intimidation attempts. For all intents and purposes, he's a cop in name only, and being a cop, a member of city council, or an unindicted co-conspirator of DICK Daley are really the only ways to lawfully possess a handgun in Chicago, so no gun for Officer Bluto.
    --- Gun control: The theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    935

    Post imported post

    Deanimator wrote:
    nitrovic wrote:
    Deanimator wrote:
    Back in '96, Illinois was debating a state predecessor to the Lautenberg Amendment, that would have banned convicted domestic abusers from owning or possessing firearms. When the Chicago Fraternal Order of Police found out that cops weren't exempted, they went positively INSANE. They went on National Public Radio and issued a series of tirades against the law which were by turns whiny and threatening. One of their "arguments" was that you couldn't take the gun from a cop convicted of beating his wife's brains out, because that was his "tool of the trade". If the interviewer had had two braincells to rub together he or she would have replied, "A hitman's gun is HIS tool of the trade; does Sammy 'The Bull' Gravano get to keep HIS gun for the same reason?"

    More recently, the Chicago cop who stomped the barmaid who wouldn't serve him because he was drunk went to court to get his gun back because he would be on unpaid leave otherwise. Strangely, the judge didn't think a 300lb. drunk who hits women and tries to intimidate them and witnesses should have a gun while he's facing 10+ felony counts. Go figure... Of course the FOP also said that you couldn't take the gun from an angry violent cop because that would just make him MORE angry and violent. Boy, I'll bet Officer Abbate's REALLY angry and violent, NOW...
    Why would he not be able to have a gun? He wasn't convicted of a felony was he?
    He's been stripped of his badge and powers of arrest. He's under indictment for more than ten felonies. If I'm not mistaken, he's also got an order of protection against him by the victim, doubtless because of his previous witness tampering/intimidation attempts. For all intents and purposes, he's a cop in name only, and being a cop, a member of city council, or an unindicted co-conspirator of DICK Daley are really the only ways to lawfully possess a handgun in Chicago, so no gun for Officer Bluto.
    I was ignorant to the Chicago gun laws, wow!!! That's all I can say. I hope they get challenged just like DC did, what an obvious constitutional violation.

  13. #13
    Regular Member Deanimator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Rocky River, OH, U.S.A.
    Posts
    2,086

    Post imported post

    nitrovic wrote:
    I was ignorant to the Chicago gun laws, wow!!! That's all I can say. I hope they get challenged just like DC did, what an obvious constitutional violation.
    That was the irony of the FOP's position on the proposed domestic abuse law. They thought that a cop who cracked his wife's skull should still be able to own and carry a handgun, but that the victim shouldn't be able to own one in her own home to back up an order of protection against him. And I know this will really surprise you, but a criminal defense attorney friend told me that the gun ban (and laws against concealed carry) were enforced differently depending upon the race of the person found to be in possession of an unregistered firearm.

    [sarcasm]If only "community organizers" like Obama had known![/sarcasm]

    Chicago was sued by the NRA minutes after the Heller decision was disclosed. Daley has stated his intention to fight to the last penny of somebody ELSE'S money.
    --- Gun control: The theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Castle Rock, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    779

    Post imported post

    "The gun is the emblem of being a police officer," Dougherty said. By taking away their guns and assigning the officers to desk jobs, "Their wings have been clip ped...when you reduce somebody and you make them sit in the corner with the dunce cap on."

    WOW!!! Lets see here, thru the magic of computers, we can apply Dougherty's statement to citizens of NJ....

    "The gun is the emblem of being an American Citizen," Dougherty said. By taking away their guns and forcing them to dial 911, "Their wings have been clipped...when you reduce somebody and you make them sit in the corner with the dunce cap on."

    Reading this just affirmed my belief that the NJ Elite know exactly what they are doing. They aren't blind to the fact that an unarmed populace is easily controlled, and this statement proves it. The whole "gun overregulation to promote safety in communities" is pure weapons grade balonium, and they know it!
    Lets see. Last time I was in NJ was June of 07 for about 3 days. I witnessed probably 10 stops in various jurisdictions and in every event, the LEO was wearing either black or blue BDU style pants tucked into combat boots. Of those 10 stops, most of them (maybe 8) had some soccer mom or business guy pulled over with multiple units responding. Scary stuff!!!
    New Jersey is truly a study of a socialist state existing in the USA. Normally I would just point and laugh, but my mom and oldest son are there, behind the Delaware Curtain.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •