• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hi Everyone

Doc Holiday

imported post

Hello to everyone! I have just found your site and I am very interested in open carrying and I would to know more about it. I just purchased my first hand gun two weeks ago and I am nervous to start carrying it around. I am looking for any tips or suggestions to start out.

Thanks!!:)

ainokea

imported post

Welcome to the site!!:celebrate:celebrate What type of gun did you purchase? I would suggest that you get familiar with you gun by shooting it a lot and if you haven't already done so buy a good holster.

yo101jimmy

imported post

Welcome you came to the right place for getting answers to questions! This is a great group of people!

Glad to have you aboard
:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

ScottyT

imported post

Hey there! Welcome to OCDO! :celebrate

Your best friend as a gun owner in Utah is the book "Utah Gun Law, 3rd edition" by Mitch Vilos. Call your favorite gun store and see if they have it -- it is the best $20 a gun owner can spend!

A very brief explanation of Utah OC can be found in my pamphlet, which is linked here:
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum52/11475.html (with lots of other info!)

Where (approx.) do you live? I am always looking for people to go walking with downtown(ish).

-ScottyT

Doc Holiday

imported post

I bought a XD40 service model and the only holster I have for it is the one that it came with. I have taken it out shooting a few times so far and I really like it. I haven't shot too many hand guns so I don't know what everyone else thinks about them or how it compares with others.

ScottyT

imported post

ainokea wrote:
Welcome to the site!!:celebrate:celebrate What type of gun did you purchase? I would suggest that you get familiar with you gun by shooting it a lot and if you haven't already done so buy a good holster.
+1 on the good holster!

You should really have a holster with some type of retention. If you got a popular model gun look at the Blackhawk! CQC holster, it is fantastic and affordable!

EDIT after I saw gun info:

They do make a CQC for the XD. I know Get Some carries them, call and ask if they have one in stock. The holster comes with belt and paddle options (I favor the paddle). The XD Gear holster is fine for the range or desert, but not recomended for OC in populated areas.

Utah_Patriot

imported post

Welcome to this site I am glad to see more people joining the site. If you would like maybe somtime we can go out and OC togther till you feel comfortable doing this for your self Do you have a CCW What type of firearm how old are you where abouts do you live tell all name here is Zach message me anytime

Doc Holiday

imported post

ScottyT wrote:
Hey there! Welcome to OCDO! :celebrate

Your best friend as a gun owner in Utah is the book "Utah Gun Law, 3rd edition" by Mitch Vilos. Call your favorite gun store and see if they have it -- it is the best $20 a gun owner can spend!

A very brief explanation of Utah OC can be found in my pamphlet, which is linked here:
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum52/11475.html (with lots of other info!)

Where (approx.) do you live? I am always looking for people to go walking with downtown(ish).

-ScottyT
I live in Sandy so downtown is not too far away.. I am assuming that the Utah gun law book gives all the do's and don'ts for OC.

Doc Holiday

imported post

gunsfreak4791 wrote:
Welcome to this site I am glad to see more people joining the site. If you would like maybe somtime we can go out and OC togther till you feel comfortable doing this for your self Do you have a CCW What type of firearm how old are you where abouts do you live tell all name here is Zach message me anytime
No I do not have a CCW are they hard to get?

ainokea

imported post

Doc Holiday wrote:
gunsfreak4791 wrote:
No I do not have a CCW are they hard to get?

They are not hard at all to get. You can find out a lot of info on how to get one by checking out BCI website. You need to be at least 21.

http://des.utah.gov/bci/index.html

Utah_Patriot

imported post

Actually their is a CCW Class the 20th at the gun show cheap and it will allow you more options when you carry your firearm less restrictions

Doc Holiday

imported post

Do you need a CCW to be able to OC? For what I have read on the pamphlet I understand it that I can but the gun needs to be unloaded. Do you guys or girls get hassled a lot when you do OC. Like by the cops or just normal people?

ScottyT

imported post

Doc Holiday wrote:
Do you need a CCW to be able to OC? For what I have read on the pamphlet I understand it that I can but the gun needs to be unloaded. Do you guys or girls get hassled a lot when you do OC. Like by the cops or just normal people?
Don't need a CFP (Concealed Firearm Permit) to OC as long as you keep an empty chamber (full magazine ok). Be sure to be aware of school zones! Without a CFP you must stay 1000 feet or more outside of school property, which can be a major pain in the ass and one of the best reasons to get a CFP. Keep it completely visible in the car (on the passenger seat or dash).

I have been OCing since April and I haven't had a negative encounter yet (with cops or otherwise).

Utah_Patriot

imported post

OC has become a way of life. I enjoy my CFP It takes the worry out of me worrying where I am I have several schools in my neighborhood and all around my house. their are several schools within one mile of my house.

I would be happy to meet up somewhere if you are intrested in OC and want to try it out

Doc Holiday

imported post

Sorry if I am asking too many questions but I want to find out more info. How did you start to OC. We you nervous about peoples reactions. That is what I am most concerned about.

Doc Holiday

imported post

gunsfreak4791 wrote:
OC has become a way of life. I enjoy my CFP It takes the worry out of me worrying where I am I have several schools in my neighborhood and all around my house. their are several schools within one mile of my house.

I would be happy to meet up somewhere if you are intrested in OC and want to try it out
I would like to meet up with someone to help me start to OC. I am going out of town this weekend but I will be available anytime after monday of next week. Do you OC everywhere you go since you have a CFP?I was looking theCFP website and I couldn't find anything about open carrying all it talks about it concealed carrying.

ScottyT

imported post

No such thing as too many questions!!! Ask away! Be sure to use the search feature of the site as well.

Pick up Vilos' book for your trip out off town this weekend!

I started OCing for several reasons. I really like the activism aspect of it, showing people that the good guys and normal people carry guns every day. I also like the comfort of OC vs CC, as well as the deterrence factor -- criminals (99.9% of them) are lazy and will do anything to avoid an armed victim.

I was nervous at first, but my very first OC outing was a dinner with 30+ other OCers there, which was a great confidence boost! At this point it is as normal to me as wearing shoes when I go out.

Doc Holiday

imported post

ScottyT wrote:
No such thing as too many questions!!! Ask away! Be sure to use the search feature of the site as well.

I started OCing for several reasons. I really like the activism aspect of it, showing people that the good guys and normal people carry guns every day. I also like the comfort of OC vs CC, as well as the deterrence factor -- criminals (99.9% of them) are lazy and will do anything to avoid an armed victim.

I was nervous at first, but my very first OC outing was a dinner with 30+ other OCers there, which was a great confidence boost! At this point it is as normal to me as wearing shoes when I go out.
I was reading another topic about a meeting you guys had last night. How often do you have these? I would really like to come and meet people who are other gun supporting people. My mom isREALLY against guns and thinks that if I carry one around I will get shot by the cops or criminals. She will not even touch one. I have always be interested in guns andnever even shot one until 6 months ago and for the record I am 22.

ainokea

imported post

Doc Holiday wrote:
ScottyT wrote:

I was reading another topic about a meeting you guys had last night. How often do you have these? I would really like to come and meet people who are other gun supporting people. My mom isREALLY against guns and thinks that if I carry one around I will get shot by the cops or criminals. She will not even touch one. I have always be interested in guns andnever even shot one until 6 months ago and for the record I am 22.
They usually have these get togethers once a month. I have yet to attend one. (mainly because I live in Heber). I think the best approach with your mom is to educate her as you learn more about OCing and guns in general. I would highly recommend getting a better holster for OCing. Like ScottyT said I would recommend a CQC. They are made by blackhawk and cost around $40-$45.

BTW don't pay attention to thoughtpolice!