• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hi Everyone

yo101jimmy

imported post

thoughtpolice wrote:
Doc Holiday wrote:
Sorry if I am asking too many questions but I want to find out more info. How did you start to OC. We you nervous about peoples reactions. That is what I am most concerned about.
Post whore already!!!:pJust kiddin, enjoy yourself and learn as much as you can.
nothing wrong with that :celebrate:celebrate

Doc Holiday

imported post

yo101jimmy wrote:
thoughtpolice wrote:
Doc Holiday wrote:
Sorry if I am asking too many questions but I want to find out more info. How did you start to OC. We you nervous about peoples reactions. That is what I am most concerned about.
Post whore already!!!:pJust kiddin, enjoy yourself and learn as much as you can.
What is a post whore?

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Doc Holiday wrote:
yo101jimmy wrote:
thoughtpolice wrote:
Doc Holiday wrote:
What is a post whore?
A post whore is someone who posts (or a post) simply to up their post count. The post usually has no value, but wouldn't be classified as a troll...

LovesHisXD45

imported post

Yup. :) You will definitely want to get you CW License ASAP. The school zone problem is so annoying, it will turn you off of OC really quickly. I, myself, am going to start OC within the next month or so. I am trying to acquire equipment, but money is tight. I got my Serpa L2 holster the other day, and now I have to get a good gun belt to secure it to. Just gotta pinch those pennies some more until I can finally get the gear. I have been CCW since I was 21. I'm 32 now, so I have been doing it a long time.

OC is definitely going to be a lot nicer as far as comfort goes. The attention we will get is going to be the hardest part to get used to. I don't particularly like people approaching me, especially when I'm armed, to ask me questions anything, but I have come to terms with this notion and have armed myself with information andlaws so that I am prepared for if and when it does happen.

OC is not something you should take lightly. It encompasses a lot more dicipline and readiness than CCW does. You have to prepare for a lot more scenarios in your head, like if somebody tries to grab your gun. You are going to have to practice, with your spouse or a friend, how to stop somebody from grabbing your gun and how to put them down to the ground and regain control of the situation. You will have to become a master of situational awareness and know what is going on around you at all times. Conditon white is not acceptable if you are going to do this.

OC is still a young movement. There are many people, including law enforcement, who are not ready for this. There will be controversy surrounding OC for years to come. I'm not trying to curb you from doing this. I want you to do it, but I'm not going to sit and and sugar coat the cold hard truth and lead you to believe that the decision to OC is something one can take on a whim or simple desire, especially considering how new you are to firearms and carrying in general.

In conclusion, you should take the advice that everyone on this forum has already given you and educate yourself as much as you can about what you are about to embark on. Get your CCW, read Mitch's book on the gun laws, practice drawing and fireing your weapon, increase your situational awareness, consider the pros and cons of OC vs CC and then, and only then, make a sound and educated decision about what you believe is best for you, your family and the ones you love.

Kevin

Doc Holiday

imported post

I will buy the Utah gun Law book on my way home from work today and start reading it. Thanks for all of your help so far and the warm welcome!

swjr

imported post

Doc Holiday wrote:
Do you need a CCW to be able to OC? For what I have read on the pamphlet I understand it that I can but the gun needs to be unloaded. Do you guys or girls get hassled a lot when you do OC. Like by the cops or just normal people?

95% of the time nobody will even notice that you are carrying (OC). Of the "normal" people that DO notice, most won't say anything. My husband and I have gotten comments ranging from "that's legal?" to "that's cool! What kind of gun is that?". We have only had one approach by a "normal" person who kept trying to tell us that it was illegal to openly carry and that his dad teaches a concealed weapons class so he knows what he's talking about.

It was nothing serious, and more than anything we took it as an opportunity to give the gentleman one of our OC pamphlets (good to have on you by the way!) and share the truth about the legality of open carry.

To date, we haven't been approached by law enforcement; however, keep reading the posts and you will see that the best rule of thumb is to a) know the laws; b) know your rights; and c) be respectful to the them and you won't likely find yourself in any trouble.

Best of luck, be safe, and welcome to the site!

scorpioajr

imported post

LovesHisXD45 wrote:
...OC is not something you should take lightly. It encompasses a lot more dicipline and readiness than CCW does. You have to prepare for a lot more scenarios in your head, like if somebody tries to grab your gun. You are going to have to practice, with your spouse or a friend, how to stop somebody from grabbing your gun and how to put them down to the ground and regain control of the situation. You will have to become a master of situational awareness and know what is going on around you at all times. Conditon white is not acceptable if you are going to do this. ...

This is a very good paragraph explaining to OC newbies ( Sorry for the lack of effort taken for that euphemism ).

I feel as though i am at the top of my game when it some to situational awareness. However, and i don't mean to get OT: But i would like to express myself in saying: LINES! (When paying for items) Lines freak me out when I am OCing. I feel like there are waaaay too many people standing around me. I am always most concerned about the immediate 3 people standing to my flank. Standing sideways seems to catch more attention that standing normal...I'm probably just a paranoid SOB. i swear i don't own a tin-foil hat..

The only thing that keeps the beads of sweat off my forehead, is to place my forearm on the back of the grip where the webbing of my thumb and index would wrap. I's say, a good 4-5 inches from my wrist.

LovesHisXD45

imported post

ScottyT wrote:
ProtectedBy9mm wrote:
i swear i don't own a tin-foil hat..
I know some great stores where you could pick up this incredibly important piece of gear!:celebrate
ROFL. Hey.. here is the Economical way if the money is tight. :) I found this on the internet and couldn't resist. heheheh The chick is hot at least.

youscareme

Banned
imported post

Doc Holiday wrote:
Do you need a CCW to be able to OC? For what I have read on the pamphlet I understand it that I can but the gun needs to be unloaded. Do you guys or girls get hassled a lot when you do OC. Like by the cops or just normal people?
we get hassled by everybody. but then we get to convert them to the truth.

Doc Holiday

imported post

I picked up the Utah Gun Law book and I have been reading it for the last few days. It has answered a lot of my questions.

scorpioajr

imported post

Doc Holiday wrote:
I picked up the Utah Gun Law book and I have been reading it for the last few days. It has answered a lot of my questions.

I KNOW I'm going to be tied up to a wild horse for saying this, but: i still haven't got Mitchs' book yet! :shock:
I haven't put it on the back burner or anything, just seems like we can never make it out of the house anymore without fear of burning ANY gas. (lol)
Fear not; ths is still on my top 5 list of "Need to Buy" items.

I'm excited that the reviews have been so consistently positive (Speaking from a consumer standpoint).

LovesHisXD45

imported post

Doc Holiday wrote:

Sweet. :) Glad it's helping you. BTW welcome back. Visit and post often about any questions you might have that are still unanswered. We like hearing from everyone.

Kevin