• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Urgent

DHCruiser

Campaign Veteran
imported post

My wife references the old "and that your honor is why I killed him" joke a lot. She claims it'll hold up in court. lol

Marine - I think you handled it very well and used good judgement. You prepared to defend yourself if needed, but didn't take action when you weren't directly threatened. Take that same situation and add one of the kids turns partially while running and aims a gun at you...I'd have said, don't miss when you pull the trigger.

marine2000

imported post

DHCruiser.

Thank you for that input.

Just trying to stay positve and not encounter anything not worth doing.

BTW.

It's good to have people with open minds on this site.

Marine2000

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

I seriously doubt anybody is going to find a cite for this one. I can't imagine any rational person/attorney even considering this as a primary defense.

IMO - it diminishes our image and hurts our goals to speak lightly of taking a life.
I would continue until the threat was over but shall always consider myself the defender/protector not the judge.

If you are ever forced into that position, make your phone call to your attorney and shut up. Hope it never happens to you.

Yata hey

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Out of curiousity, did the other guys fire just because they saw someone in the house or did the intruders do something threatening besides being there? I'm not asking to criticize but just for the info. I am a firm believer that, generally speaking, if someone is in my house and doesn't belong there that lethal force is a valid action as a moral, if not legal depending on your state, matter (with the obvious disclaimers as to a girl scout wandering in through an open door to sell me cookies - common sense always applies regardless).

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Armed wrote:
First, I would say that it was a good thing that you did not fire.  Virginia does not subscribe to the home castle doctrine...  we have that 'duty to retreat' if possible thing.

It isn't nearly so simple. However, if it were, it would be sufficient to say that you are wrong. Also, you're supposed to cite on OCDO.

Read some of the following case law:
http://www.virginia1774.org/Page6.html