• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Detained, disarmed, and disrespected in Puyallup

TechnoWeenie

imported post

I was walking down meridian, open carrying my G19 in a Serpa CQC holster, I was stopped by approx. 4 police vehicles and 6-7 officers, and ordered to put my hands up, I complied. The officer had a hard time pulling it out of the holster, because he didn't know about the CQCs retention feature. my CPL was demanded, which I handed over. I was lectured on 'responsible gun ownership', was told I can't carry in banks, or walk past schools, and they even called 7-11 I had just left and asked the guy behind the counter if he remembers me in the store, and mentioned my clothing, and adding 'big ears'.... nice..

The incident is way more detailed than that, just some points. There was about 15 or so people that came out of the local stores to watch, all maybe 20-50' away. I SPECIFICALLY asked if I was being detained, and the response was 'Well, of course, you didn't think we're here to have a party, do ya?'

After I was released, I went back to the tint shop, where my car was getting done, I was followed.

I was also threatened that if they ever saw me open carrying again they'd arrest me, and even if I wasn't arrested, they'd hold my gun in 'protective custody'... They also told me they'd impound my car if my door sticker didn't match my VIN.

Keep in mind that I was WALKING when they stopped me, and followed me AFTER I was released, to the shop where my car was getting tinted....

Nebulis01

imported post

Dude call Randy Loune (sp?) Immediately that's ****** up. Sounds like a nice letter with copies of the local TBs are in order at a minimum from the rest of us though. I can't believe that happened. Keep us posted!

Cougar125

imported post

What the officer did was totally uncalled for. You were in the right, perfectly legal. What "Fernando" did was illegal. I'm not a law expert nor do I post much here, but I do believe you are owed at least an apology. Did you get his badge # or anything like that so you could file a complaint?

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
I was walking down meridian, open carrying my G19 in a Serpa CQC holster, I was stopped by approx. 4 police vehicles and 6-7 officers, and ordered to put my hands up, I complied, and I asked the officer if he knew OC was legal, he replied 'I know open carry is leg -- no it's not, you're committing a crime'. The officer had a hard time pulling it out of the holster, because he didn't know about the CQCs retention feature. my CPL was demanded, which I handed over. I was lectured on 'responsible gun ownership', was told I can't carry in banks, or walk past schools, and they even called 7-11 I had just left and asked the guy behind the counter if he remembers me in the store, and mentioned my clothing, and adding 'big ears'.... nice..

HIS name was Fernando, a transit officer. The others appeared to be county sherriff's. While the other officers were ill informed, they acted professionally, albeit in error. Fernando, on the other hand, was telling me how lucky I was because he would've arrested me (if the other officer hadn't decided to let me go with a warning).

The incident is way more detailed than that, just some points. There was about 15 or so people that came out of the local stores to watch, all maybe 20-50' away. I SPECIFICALLY asked if I was being detained, and the response was 'Well, of course, you didn't think we're here to have a party, do ya?'

After I was released, I went back to the tint shop, where my car was getting done, I was followed, and they asked the owner of the shop if they could come in, where they looked in my vehicle, they asked my consent to look in the vehicle and I did not respond, yet they looked through the interior anyway..

So far. unlawful search and unlawful detention. I was also threatened that if they ever saw me doing it again they'd arrest me, and even if I wasn't arrested, they'd hold my gun in 'protective custody'... They also told me they'd impound my car if my door sticker didn't match my VIN.

Keep in mind that I was WALKING when they stopped me, and followed me AFTER I was released, to the shop where my car was getting tinted....
MAN THIS IS BULL DOO DOO.AND WRONG IN EVERY WAY!!!!!!

dlnwoody

imported post

What is bad is they just had lunch in puyallup due to Jarhead's encounter. It is bad I keep hearing all of the bad OC outings but I have yet had any problems.

BOOMINFOCUS66

imported post

wow I am sorry to hear about your encounter I oc in puyallup today with no problems today. I just got a job on south hill and was a little nervous to oc there now I think I will cc.

jarhead1911A

imported post

We did the lunch thing already and it seems the cops dont want to take on all of us just find us when we are outnumbered and then they want to mess with us. I for one am all for having a OC meet there again.

This has to stop its not right its illegal and i will not allow them to put me down again.
I know how techoweenie feels he needs to call randy and if they do this to one more person then its a class action suit.

Id request that if we do this meet that we get papers filed in fed court first so they know that we are serious and there nazi tactics will not be allowed to continue. and yes i have no problem going to jail as it will only add to my case against them.

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

BOOMINFOCUS66 wrote:
wow I am sorry to hear about your encounter I oc in puyallup today with no problems today. I just got a job on south hill and was a little nervous to oc there now I think I will cc.

I will OC next time I go there, not that I want to have a suit against the PD, but if the LEO sees more than one person OC in their city maybe they will start asking questions and find out it is not wrong.If they know it is illegal, then we can't have a LEO making up his/her own rules like they own the city.

Don't let them put fear in you. But if you think an encounter with the LEO would effect your job then yeahCC.

BlaineG

imported post

yes i have no problem going to jail as it will only add to my case against them.
Respectfully, Sir, if you go with a group please discuss this with them as I'm sure most would prefer not going to jail and getting a record which would preclude any firearms ownership, at least for monthes and monthes while the case preceeds.

Once, I called PPD when the other half of the duplex I was living in was broken into when the occupants were away for the weekend. The LEO that responded (after 3 hours, I might add:banghead:) tried to make an issue out of me having a JFrame in my pocket (this was before I had a consealed carry permit)....It got ugly for a moment or two, then he backed off, I suppose because he realized he was blowing smoke. When he was wrapping up the scene, I suggested we go shoot for a Dollar a shot sometime:dude:and he muttered a bad word:cuss:

mtlhdtodd

imported post

Another picnic, and wouldn't it be bad if no one brought ice and we all decided, darn, I better walk over to the 7-11 to get some.:what: