• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Might be my new OC piece

UtahRSO

imported post

This isn't just any SA BP being discussed. The gun being talked about is the Ruger Old Army, built on the same frame and cylinder as the Ruger .44 Mag., and with modern heat-treating, not the softer steel of the 1860's.

While getting 53 gr. of black powder in the cylinder is something a person would have to see to believe, it would be black powder, not modern smokeless powder, and that would make a difference in the pressure. My main worry would be the recoil involved, not the strength of a Ruger Old Army to handle it.

I'm wondering what the load in the Colt Walker was. Anyone know?

BlaineG

imported post

UtahRSO wrote:
This isn't just any SA BP being discussed. The gun being talked about is the Ruger Old Army, built on the same frame and cylinder as the Ruger .44 Mag., and with modern heat-treating, not the softer steel of the 1860's.

While getting 53 gr. of black powder in the cylinder is something a person would have to see to believe, it would be black powder, not modern smokeless powder, and that would make a difference in the pressure. My main worry would be the recoil involved, not the strength of a Ruger Old Army to handle it.

I'm wondering what the load in the Colt Walker was. Anyone know?
But: This backboreing involves removing a substantial amount of metal. Metal that was there when Ruger factored the max published load. Now: you want to increase the size of the bullet and the amount of powder on top of having less metal there to contain the extra pressure?Also, 44Mag is .429 and the Old Action Army is .452, so there is a big difference in metal thickness right there. You go right ahead, Sir:cool:You might put thousands of rounds thru this and sometime in the future, the metal just might become fatigued enough to let go. I know people do this all the time, but guns let go more often than you think. Good luck (and that's what it will be)

Hammer

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
Hammer wrote:
First if you can't pin point whatoffended you tender sensibilities, what the hell should I apologize for? Second,You are still spouting BS with both the 53 grains and the 41 mag power. Even the Walker Colt with 60 grains can't do that. And lastly if you aren't able to quote it yourself to get your apology then you don't really deserve one now do you? I don't think you really want an apology. You just want to be acknowledge as knowing what you are talking about. Since you obviously don't, then what's the point?
rolleyes.gif

There's the Boor I know. Full of himself, not now nor never wrong about anything, always aggro and looking to nay-say or somehow come out on top, or seem so to himself.
How sad that you let someone else's PM push you to make some feigned apology. I was certain it wasn't in you.

Hone up your reading skills. You're misquoting, misreading, and generally misunderstanding. A 4th grader could do it. You obviously can't.
The only one full of himself is you, you have decide you are offended and need to have your sorry butt kissed to make you little itty bity ego feel better. Well get used to being offended cause I have had it with your arrogant, moronic and self important attitude. So you not only get nothing more from me but the prior apology is rescinded due to your attitude. On top of everything, a Black Powder weapon for person defense is atotally moronic idea as there was a reason everyone stopped using Black Powder for defense purposes about a 100 years ago. It was unreliable. Go get back on the porch with all the other little dogs, your are boring me with your rhetoric.
You think if you bark and growl like some rabid dog, you will make another give in because they don't want to confront you. This time you are mistaken.
You've had it with me? My heart is breaking. :D
There was no apology there before. You can't read well enough to even tell. Or you needed to placate someone behind the thread that told you you were making a scene and a bad name for the forum.
And if we're worried about BP, whose handle says 45/70?
I'm boring you? Go away, don't read my posts. One more heartbreaker for me. :D
And I'll repeat it just for you- what a sad, miserable SOB you must be in person, considering how much more so you are here. Go ahead, defend it. You prove it when you object.

BlaineG

imported post

Dang it, Fred...stop picking on the children:dude: See ya tomorrow night, you poor sad loner SOB:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

BlaineG wrote:
Dang it, Fred...stop picking on the children:dude: See ya tomorrow night, you poor sad loner SOB:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Oh great so I get to meet the two of you together in the same room and the same table. I'll bring earplugs and an electronic scoreboard.:p

Hammer

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Hammer wrote:
Mmmm.... When I think .45/70 I think a Ruger No. 1 or a Marlin 1895 loaded up with modern smokeless loads.
Are you familiar with the cartridge? the 45 is the caliber.
Read up on what the 70 represents.

Bear 45/70

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Hammer wrote:
Mmmm.... When I think .45/70 I think a Ruger No. 1 or a Marlin 1895 loaded up with modern smokeless loads.
Yeah, but I do have an original US Springfield Armory Model 1873 "Trapdoor" that the 45/70 Goverment was originally chambered for. But I also have a Ruger #1, a Marlin 1895 and even a handgun in 45/70, as you well know. The only one Iever shoot BP in, is the Trapdoor though.

Hammer

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
The only person you are impressing is yourself because you have proven every time you post that you know less and less. My handle say 45/70 because I have 6firearms in that caliber alone. That would be more than you own all together, I would suspect. So go learn for another 15 years or soand someone might actually beleive something you post.

If I'm so sad and miserable, why do I actually attend functions? Even put on on. Have people thatknow me on sight when as far as I know you are an unknown. But hey believe what you want if that is the only way you have to pump up your itty bitty little ego. Don't let the facts deter you from your favorite fiction.
Ahh, now it's the argument that you own more guns so you must know more/somehow be better. Suspect anything you want. It's a third grader's game so I'm not gonna play.
And thanks for defending yourself against your sad and miserable character. You prove my point. The facts run far and wide over this whole website. you take a dislike to someone and Katie bar the door. You will attack over and over. Prick.

Bear 45/70

imported post

Hammer wrote:
sv_libertarian wrote:
Hammer wrote:
No reading necessary, I even have some loads on the shelf loaded that way. It means 70 grains of black powder, but do you know what 45-70-500 means? You probably don't know what the other standard 45/70 load was though?

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Hammer wrote:
sv_libertarian wrote:
Hammer wrote:
I'm very much familiar with the cartridge. And I know what the 70 represents.

Many cartridges have evolved from black powder guns. .38 special comes readily to mind as does .22 rimfire.

Nonetheless given as my interest with the .45 Government round involves modern rifles, I tend to look at it as a rather potent smokeless load first, and a quaint yet powerful BP load last. I'm not gonna load up BP loads for my Security Six just because I can run .38 special through it, nor am I going to view .38 special as a fancy BP load which is how it started out. Things evolve and change.

Bear 45/70

imported post

Hammer wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
The only person you are impressing is yourself because you have proven every time you post that you know less and less. My handle say 45/70 because I have 6firearms in that caliber alone. That would be more than you own all together, I would suspect. So go learn for another 15 years or soand someone might actually beleive something you post.

If I'm so sad and miserable, why do I actually attend functions? Even put on on. Have people thatknow me on sight when as far as I know you are an unknown. But hey believe what you want if that is the only way you have to pump up your itty bitty little ego. Don't let the facts deter you from your favorite fiction.
Ahh, now it's the argument that you own more guns so you must know more/somehow be better. Suspect anything you want. It's a third grader's game so I'm not gonna play.
And thanks for defending yourself against your sad and miserable character. You prove my point. The facts run far and wide over this whole website. you take a dislike to someone and Katie bar the door. You will attack over and over. Prick.
You won't play because you now you will loose. Just like all you noob know it alls, you won't play unless you have zero chance of loosing. Don't enter any shooting contests, you could loose.