• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Rave Theater in Chattanooga

st33ve0

imported post

I just got back a couple hours ago from the Rave in Chattanooga after going to see Righteous Kill [quite good, but I digress]. I went with two of my friends [we are all 21 year old white males]. I was open carrying and walked in to purchase our tickets.

So far no problem, I walk up to the concessions and before even asking what I want the guy at the counter looks down at my waist and points down sheepishly. "What is it?" I say...he moves his hand pointing closer and says "I don't think you can have that here". I present my carry permit and state that because they have not posted signs prohibiting it, the only way I am legally not allowed to carry it there is if it is against their policy. The clerk asks the concessions manager [a bobbleheaded man a full head shorter than me] and he says he's not sure about policy, but he felt "uncomfortable" with me having it there. I had also shown him my permit and informed him of the regulations regarding such.

At this point I could either walk out to the car and leave my firearm there and go to the movie, request a refund and never go back, or talk to the three police officers standing to my strong side with a clear view of my firearm about 15 yards away who had said nothing to me about carrying. I decided because I was with my friends that I would simply relent and put it in the car and watch the movie and hope the officers could guarantee some degree of safety :?

This was the first and last time I will be going to The Rave and I will probably be contacting the manager or someone higher up to inquire about the actual policy.

ETA:

Forgot to mention, the concessions manager also said something about scaring off customers or something like that and apparently asked my friend if I was a bounty hunter when I went back to the car :quirky

SomeKid

imported post

Your HCP ought to stay in the wallet unless a cop asks for it, or you need the ID. If someone asks about carrying, a short explanation is best. (Get them to ask specific questions, like can you? Which you point out that you legally can.)

As for asking about policy, don't. Explaining that because there is no sign it is legal was about the worst thing you can do. You just told an anti how to make it legally binding. If you want to write a letter about it, a "Here is why I won't be back" in which you explain how you took the safety course, paid the fees, passed background checks and just wanted to watch a movie but were harassed by employees is the way to go. "I am an honest Joe, and because of the way your employees treated me, I won't be back" is something business people understand.

Lastly, I know of the Rave, watched a movie there myself a while back. The place is run by fresh out of high school kids. They don't know much about laws (any laws), which is why (as noted earlier) brief explanations that to direct questions is the trick. Not everyone gets a long form education. Sometimes the basics need laid down.

To give specific advice to you, at the concession stand when he points down stating you can't have it here, a knowing smile, a shake of the head, and telling him Yes, you can legally have it there, you are one of the good guys, is sufficient. It is all I do, and it works extremely well. (Just a FYI, I live in this area, am 24 myself, and remember being 21 and new to carrying. You need a bit more confidence buddy, I state that last line as based off your quick desire to show your permit to anyone. Act like you don't have or need it. Why confidence? Because people can see it. If you walk like you belong there, with the gun on your hip, people accept that without question. Confidence matters!)

Also worth noting, on your edit you mention scaring customers. That confidence I talked about? People are not afraid of a confident armed man. An armed man who is nervous on the other hand...well, I think you can draw the lines.

peanut

imported post

Imagine the sight picture.... a few very young kids walk in and ones got a gun..... I think this modern 17-24 year old era are pretty nervous about guns. They see the stuff on TV about all of these shootings from young people... I imagine that conceal in a place like that might scare less people, even if we are legal to do so.... my thoughts.

st33ve0

imported post

SomeKid wrote:
Your HCP ought to stay in the wallet unless a cop asks for it, or you need the ID. If someone asks about carrying, a short explanation is best. (Get them to ask specific questions, like can you? Which you point out that you legally can.)

As for asking about policy, don't. Explaining that because there is no sign it is legal was about the worst thing you can do. You just told an anti how to make it legally binding. If you want to write a letter about it, a "Here is why I won't be back" in which you explain how you took the safety course, paid the fees, passed background checks and just wanted to watch a movie but were harassed by employees is the way to go. "I am an honest Joe, and because of the way your employees treated me, I won't be back" is something business people understand.

Lastly, I know of the Rave, watched a movie there myself a while back. The place is run by fresh out of high school kids. They don't know much about laws (any laws), which is why (as noted earlier) brief explanations that to direct questions is the trick. Not everyone gets a long form education. Sometimes the basics need laid down.

To give specific advice to you, at the concession stand when he points down stating you can't have it here, a knowing smile, a shake of the head, and telling him Yes, you can legally have it there, you are one of the good guys, is sufficient. It is all I do, and it works extremely well. (Just a FYI, I live in this area, am 24 myself, and remember being 21 and new to carrying. You need a bit more confidence buddy, I state that last line as based off your quick desire to show your permit to anyone. Act like you don't have or need it. Why confidence? Because people can see it. If you walk like you belong there, with the gun on your hip, people accept that without question. Confidence matters!)

Also worth noting, on your edit you mention scaring customers. That confidence I talked about? People are not afraid of a confident armed man. An armed man who is nervous on the other hand...well, I think you can draw the lines.

I agree, confidence while OCing is something I'll have to work on and I'll remember to keep it brief from now on. As for looking scary, I wasn't being nervous and I was confident and polite in how I explained myself. If you looked at me I'm far from the scary gunman looking type...

st33ve0

imported post

SomeKid wrote:
Live and learn and all that.

Want to hit the range sometime?

Sure, where do you usually go? I usually shoot at the Prentice Cooper WMA range.

st33ve0

imported post

I'm going to be at the advanced armament silencer shoot on Saturday, but I may try to drag my roommates out and put the new XD9 through it's paces Sunday afternoon.

SomeKid

imported post

My only chance will be Friday morning, I plan to go. Probably around 10-noon.

st33ve0

imported post

Hmmm, I'm affraid that's a no go for me with work and classes =/

We'll have to work it out some time, are weekends usually good to go for you?

SomeKid

imported post

By the way, before you head up to PC on Sunday check the hunt dates. Friday is the last day they are open.

SomeKid

imported post

I actually have this Sunday off. I may try to make it up there that afternoon. Any chance you can make it?