Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: Starting from scratch: Need advice

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    189

    Post imported post

    Folks,

    I want to start open carrying for a variety of reasons I'll list below. Need some good basic advice on how to get started. I'm located on the east side, Tri-City area; Has anyone had luck approaching police chiefs about this beforehand? Is it necessary or a good idea? I'm not in the mood to be unlawfully detained and arrested so would like to cover my bases, but will go through it if necessary.

    I have a current CPL, which I've held for a decade. I am reasonably well versed on firearms laws in Washington and currently carry concealed on a frequent basis. Looking for advice on how police are responding to the rest of you.

    I also need advice on how to respond to people. I understand a Stadium/Convention Center cannot refuse me entry with my firearm? However, I would assume a private business owner/retail store (Wal-Mart, Best Buy, etc) would have the right to ask me to leave. Yes?

    Lastly, I need gun & holster advice. I'm not a big person and can't conceal much on me, so I currently carry a Tomcat 3032 with Crimson Trace lasergrip. Would like to open carry something larger, must have a laser grip available. Prefer 9mm but will consider others. What do you carry & why?

    Why I want to do this: Many reasons. As I said above, I'm not a big guy. Even the Tomcat 3032 fills my pocket like a thick wallet. If I needed to use it, would not be fast to dig out. I can't easily carry anything larger without it being visible. Open carry on a belt holster would be convenient & more comfortable for me. Open carry also gives me the opportunity to educate the unwashed masses. I never see people open carrying and it bothers me. I'm afriad we're creating a culture of people who scream and run at the mere mention of the word "gun" and I want to do my part to ensure people see more handguns out in public so they may, in time, turn their shock and fear at the sight of a gun into the feeling of comfort and security I have when I'm around others who carry. I'm of the mentality that more guns in public is a better thing. Lastly, I want to challenge the establishment now before gun control laws get worse.

    However, my fear, of course, is some panicky leftist soccer mom sees me waltzing through Costco with a gun on my hip and calls 911 in a panic. I'd imagine this has to happen fairly often and am wondering how it usually goes down. I'd hope 911 dispatchers were smart enough to ask some basic questions and tell the person to chill, but in practice I'm sure it doesn't work this way.

    I'd also love to hook up with an open carry group in the Tri-City area if one exists...

    Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Everett, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,339

    Post imported post

    tricityguy wrote:
    Folks,

    I want to start open carrying for a variety of reasons I'll list below. Need some good basic advice on how to get started. I'm located on the east side, Tri-City area; Has anyone had luck approaching police chiefs about this beforehand? Is it necessary or a good idea? I'm not in the mood to be unlawfully detained and arrested so would like to cover my bases, but will go through it if necessary.


    I also need advice on how to respond to people. I understand a Stadium/Convention Center cannot refuse me entry with my firearm? However, I would assume a private business owner/retail store (Wal-Mart, Best Buy, etc) would have the right to ask me to leave. Yes?
    It is not a good idea to ask police first before open carrying. They will tell you it is not a good idea and that they have to respond if a 911 call is made, which is completely BS. Also regardless what they tell you the individual officer on the street probably will not get any message about you specifically. If you want to OC then you should be prepared, not that it will happen, to be detained.

    A Stadium/Convention Center must allow you to carry ONLY if it is OPERATED by a municipality. If it is run by a management company then they can deny you access inside if you are carrying.

    A private business can ask you to leave their property, if you refuse it is criminal trespass. Also Costco is known to have a ban on firearms inside their stores.

    As far as holsters go that is something that you would need to go to a store and try them, without the pistol of course, and find one that is comfortable for you.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

    "though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Everett, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,339

    Post imported post

    NavyLT wrote:
    As far as holsters go that is something that you would need to go to a store and try them, without the pistol of course, and find one that is comfortable for you.
    Just out of curiosity...wouldn't it be better to try the holster with the pistol? Just unload in the parking lot. Sportsmans Warehouse, you go to the service counter, show them the unloaded gun, they give you a sticker or something, and then you shop for holsters. Ace Hardware in Oak Harbor doesn't have a huge selection of holsters, but they are very friendly about open carry. Just show the guy at the counter you are unloaded and tell him you want to try the holsters.

    To me, in order to check the feel of a holster, it has to have the gun in it. I don't know about any of the other gun stores, but I know it isn't a problem in the two I mentioned.
    Well true but I do not unloaded mine at all. If I need to try a holster with a pistol I will ask if I can use one of theirs.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

    "though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Union, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,256

    Post imported post

    joeroket wrote:
    NavyLT wrote:
    As far as holsters go that is something that you would need to go to a store and try them, without the pistol of course, and find one that is comfortable for you.
    Just out of curiosity...wouldn't it be better to try the holster with the pistol? Just unload in the parking lot. Sportsmans Warehouse, you go to the service counter, show them the unloaded gun, they give you a sticker or something, and then you shop for holsters. Ace Hardware in Oak Harbor doesn't have a huge selection of holsters, but they are very friendly about open carry. Just show the guy at the counter you are unloaded and tell him you want to try the holsters.

    To me, in order to check the feel of a holster, it has to have the gun in it. I don't know about any of the other gun stores, but I know it isn't a problem in the two I mentioned.
    Well true but I do not unloaded mine at all. If I need to try a holster with a pistol I will ask if I can use one of theirs.
    There is always carry one of yourbackup guns as your primaryand then do the holster fit with your real primary gun.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Everett, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,339

    Post imported post

    Bear 45/70 wrote:
    joeroket wrote:
    NavyLT wrote:
    As far as holsters go that is something that you would need to go to a store and try them, without the pistol of course, and find one that is comfortable for you.
    Just out of curiosity...wouldn't it be better to try the holster with the pistol? Just unload in the parking lot. Sportsmans Warehouse, you go to the service counter, show them the unloaded gun, they give you a sticker or something, and then you shop for holsters. Ace Hardware in Oak Harbor doesn't have a huge selection of holsters, but they are very friendly about open carry. Just show the guy at the counter you are unloaded and tell him you want to try the holsters.

    To me, in order to check the feel of a holster, it has to have the gun in it. I don't know about any of the other gun stores, but I know it isn't a problem in the two I mentioned.
    Well true but I do not unloaded mine at all. If I need to try a holster with a pistol I will ask if I can use one of theirs.
    There is always carry one of yourbackup guns as your primaryand then do the holster fit with your real primary gun.
    But that would imply I have a holster other than for my carry gun. :P
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

    "though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Union, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,256

    Post imported post

    joeroket wrote:
    Bear 45/70 wrote:
    joeroket wrote:
    NavyLT wrote:
    As far as holsters go that is something that you would need to go to a store and try them, without the pistol of course, and find one that is comfortable for you.
    Just out of curiosity...wouldn't it be better to try the holster with the pistol? Just unload in the parking lot. Sportsmans Warehouse, you go to the service counter, show them the unloaded gun, they give you a sticker or something, and then you shop for holsters. Ace Hardware in Oak Harbor doesn't have a huge selection of holsters, but they are very friendly about open carry. Just show the guy at the counter you are unloaded and tell him you want to try the holsters.

    To me, in order to check the feel of a holster, it has to have the gun in it. I don't know about any of the other gun stores, but I know it isn't a problem in the two I mentioned.
    Well true but I do not unloaded mine at all. If I need to try a holster with a pistol I will ask if I can use one of theirs.
    There is always carry one of yourbackup guns as your primaryand then do the holster fit with your real primary gun.
    But that would imply I have a holster other than for my carry gun. :P
    You should have holsters for a lot of your guns not just one. Suppose that primary gun breaks, you gonna go naked until it is fixed?

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Everett, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,339

    Post imported post

    Hell no. I will make my wife go buy one for me so I don't have to leave unarmed.

    I have a Uncle Mikes nylon one that I would use to CC if that was the case but I really do not like carrying with that holster.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

    "though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Union, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,256

    Post imported post

    joeroket wrote:
    Hell no. I will make my wife go buy one for me so I don't have to leave unarmed.

    I have a Uncle Mikes nylon one that I would use to CC if that was the case but I really do not like carrying with that holster.
    Yeah right, you make the wife????? No, you can't come live at my house when you try this!

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Everett, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,339

    Post imported post

    Bear 45/70 wrote:
    joeroket wrote:
    Hell no. I will make my wife go buy one for me so I don't have to leave unarmed.

    I have a Uncle Mikes nylon one that I would use to CC if that was the case but I really do not like carrying with that holster.
    Yeah right, you make the wife????? No, you can't come live at my house when you try this!
    LOL I'll just live in my Blazer and take my showers at the high school.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

    "though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Union, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,256

    Post imported post

    joeroket wrote:
    Bear 45/70 wrote:
    joeroket wrote:
    Hell no. I will make my wife go buy one for me so I don't have to leave unarmed.

    I have a Uncle Mikes nylon one that I would use to CC if that was the case but I really do not like carrying with that holster.
    Yeah right, you make the wife????? No, you can't come live at my house when you try this!
    LOL I'll just live in my Blazer and take my showers at the high school.
    The first homeless OC guy. A distinction that will follow you thru life.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Everett, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,339

    Post imported post

    Well it's a good thing I have a CPL otherwise I would have to be unarmed at "home".
    :celebrate
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

    "though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Union, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,256

    Post imported post

    joeroket wrote:
    Well it's a good thing I have a CPL otherwise I would have to be unarmed at "home".
    :celebrate

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    149

    Post imported post

    Joe, don't let Bear fool ya.......He's so whipped, but that's because he likes it.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Everett, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,339

    Post imported post

    Oh I know how it is in the bear household.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

    "though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Union, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,256

    Post imported post

    joeroket wrote:
    Oh I know how it is in the bear household.
    She's not called SWMBO for nothin'!

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Wa, ,
    Posts
    2,769

    Post imported post

    BlaineG wrote:
    Joe, don't let Bear fool ya.......He's so whipped, but that's because he likes it.
    Meow..Meow.Meow:celebrate:celebrate

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Union, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,256

    Post imported post

    Trigger Dr wrote:
    BlaineG wrote:
    Joe, don't let Bear fool ya.......He's so whipped, but that's because he likes it.
    Meow..Meow.Meow:celebrate:celebrate
    Yeah and happy being that way!

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    189

    Post imported post

    Thanks everyone for the replies. Sounds like there is little I need to do to prepare, just go over the laws once more to make sure I fully understand my rights and responsibilities, then start open carrying. Let's hope I can post some positive experiences with this.

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Union, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,256

    Post imported post

    BlaineG wrote:
    Joe, don't let Bear fool ya.......He's so whipped, but that's because he likes it.
    I'm whipped huh? Who got to go shooting with you and Sure-Shot on my wedding anniversary this last August. Yeah, I like being the whipped Bear. Oh, how many guns did your wife ever buy you?

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Hermiston, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    146

    Post imported post

    So hey, I would love to meet up some time in the Tri-Cities. I am OCing whenever I go there, so we must not have crossed paths yet. Sportsman's Warehouse in Kennewick has never asked me to unload, but the one in Medford, OR did. My favorite OC holster is an Uncle Mike's pancake holster. It was $20 at Sportsman's Warehouse. Anyway, as for a good OC pistol, XD 9mm is great. I had one until about a week ago (sold it to go for the new .45 with thumb safety). I highly recommend it - accurate, light, and laser grips available. The grip safety is a plus and the grip angle is comfortable. I almost got misty-eyed when I sold it. Anyway, I would love to meet for an OC lunch/dinner in the tri-cities sometime. The only place I have had a problem OCing there is at the DOL.

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    189

    Post imported post

    Yup - I already have an XD 9mm Tactical. Think I'll just buy a Crimson Trace for it, find a nice holster and start carrying.

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    189

    Post imported post

    First OC: Last night. Had some errands to run and figured I've nothing to wait for. So I ran myself through the laws once more to be sure I was familiar, grabbed the XD9 and the plastic holster it came with (note: I'm definitely buying a proper holster right away) and headed to Home Depot wearing shorts, a t-shirt and this big old gun just hanging from my hip.

    Result? Nothing, thankfully. Nobody seemed to notice or care. Several employees helped me find things without so much as glancing at my weapon, let alone mentioning it. Later, I went into a gas station to grab something and had the same experience. I was quite pleased.

    I really, really like OCing. For me, it's much more comfortable than trying to conceal - and I doubt I could possibly conceal that tactical model XD9 on myself, anyway, so OCing lets me carry a more capable weapon than the 3032 Tomcat. I'll use the Tomcat as a BUG, only making it my primary in places where I need to conceal.

    Anyway, I appreciate this forum and all of the ground work you folks have done to ensure LEO recognizes our rights in this matter. It is through your efforts that I am allowed to enjoy this freedom, and I thank you for that.


  23. #23
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Olympia, WA, ,
    Posts
    3,201

    Post imported post

    Glad you had an unventful first OC!:celebrate

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Hermiston, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    146

    Post imported post

    That's how OC goes 99% of the time.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •