• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Starting from scratch: Need advice

tricityguy

imported post

Folks,

I want to start open carrying for a variety of reasons I'll list below. Need some good basic advice on how to get started. I'm located on the east side, Tri-City area; Has anyone had luck approaching police chiefs about this beforehand? Is it necessary or a good idea? I'm not in the mood to be unlawfully detained and arrested so would like to cover my bases, but will go through it if necessary.

I have a current CPL, which I've held for a decade. I am reasonably well versed on firearms laws in Washington and currently carry concealed on a frequent basis. Looking for advice on how police are responding to the rest of you.

I also need advice on how to respond to people. I understand a Stadium/Convention Center cannot refuse me entry with my firearm? However, I would assume a private business owner/retail store (Wal-Mart, Best Buy, etc) would have the right to ask me to leave. Yes?

Lastly, I need gun & holster advice. I'm not a big person and can't conceal much on me, so I currently carry a Tomcat 3032 with Crimson Trace lasergrip. Would like to open carry something larger, must have a laser grip available. Prefer 9mm but will consider others. What do you carry & why?

Why I want to do this: Many reasons. As I said above, I'm not a big guy. Even the Tomcat 3032 fills my pocket like a thick wallet. If I needed to use it, would not be fast to dig out. I can't easily carry anything larger without it being visible. Open carry on a belt holster would be convenient & more comfortable for me. Open carry also gives me the opportunity to educate the unwashed masses. I never see people open carrying and it bothers me. I'm afriad we're creating a culture of people who scream and run at the mere mention of the word "gun" and I want to do my part to ensure people see more handguns out in public so they may, in time, turn their shock and fear at the sight of a gun into the feeling of comfort and security I have when I'm around others who carry. I'm of the mentality that more guns in public is a better thing. Lastly, I want to challenge the establishment now before gun control laws get worse.

However, my fear, of course, is some panicky leftist soccer mom sees me waltzing through Costco with a gun on my hip and calls 911 in a panic. I'd imagine this has to happen fairly often and am wondering how it usually goes down. I'd hope 911 dispatchers were smart enough to ask some basic questions and tell the person to chill, but in practice I'm sure it doesn't work this way.

I'd also love to hook up with an open carry group in the Tri-City area if one exists...

Thanks in advance!

joeroket

imported post

tricityguy wrote:
Folks,

I want to start open carrying for a variety of reasons I'll list below. Need some good basic advice on how to get started. I'm located on the east side, Tri-City area; Has anyone had luck approaching police chiefs about this beforehand? Is it necessary or a good idea? I'm not in the mood to be unlawfully detained and arrested so would like to cover my bases, but will go through it if necessary.

I also need advice on how to respond to people. I understand a Stadium/Convention Center cannot refuse me entry with my firearm? However, I would assume a private business owner/retail store (Wal-Mart, Best Buy, etc) would have the right to ask me to leave. Yes?
It is not a good idea to ask police first before open carrying. They will tell you it is not a good idea and that they have to respond if a 911 call is made, which is completely BS. Also regardless what they tell you the individual officer on the street probably will not get any message about you specifically. If you want to OC then you should be prepared, not that it will happen, to be detained.

A Stadium/Convention Center must allow you to carry ONLY if it is OPERATED by a municipality. If it is run by a management company then they can deny you access inside if you are carrying.

A private business can ask you to leave their property, if you refuse it is criminal trespass. Also Costco is known to have a ban on firearms inside their stores.

As far as holsters go that is something that you would need to go to a store and try them, without the pistol of course, and find one that is comfortable for you.

joeroket

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
As far as holsters go that is something that you would need to go to a store and try them, without the pistol of course, and find one that is comfortable for you.

Just out of curiosity...wouldn't it be better to try the holster with the pistol? Just unload in the parking lot. Sportsmans Warehouse, you go to the service counter, show them the unloaded gun, they give you a sticker or something, and then you shop for holsters. Ace Hardware in Oak Harbor doesn't have a huge selection of holsters, but they are very friendly about open carry. Just show the guy at the counter you are unloaded and tell him you want to try the holsters.

To me, in order to check the feel of a holster, it has to have the gun in it. I don't know about any of the other gun stores, but I know it isn't a problem in the two I mentioned.
Well true but I do not unloaded mine at all. If I need to try a holster with a pistol I will ask if I can use one of theirs.

Bear 45/70

imported post

joeroket wrote:
NavyLT wrote:

Just out of curiosity...wouldn't it be better to try the holster with the pistol? Just unload in the parking lot. Sportsmans Warehouse, you go to the service counter, show them the unloaded gun, they give you a sticker or something, and then you shop for holsters. Ace Hardware in Oak Harbor doesn't have a huge selection of holsters, but they are very friendly about open carry. Just show the guy at the counter you are unloaded and tell him you want to try the holsters.

To me, in order to check the feel of a holster, it has to have the gun in it. I don't know about any of the other gun stores, but I know it isn't a problem in the two I mentioned.
Well true but I do not unloaded mine at all. If I need to try a holster with a pistol I will ask if I can use one of theirs.
There is always carry one of yourbackup guns as your primaryand then do the holster fit with your real primary gun.

joeroket

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
joeroket wrote:
NavyLT wrote:

There is always carry one of yourbackup guns as your primaryand then do the holster fit with your real primary gun.
But that would imply I have a holster other than for my carry gun. :p

Bear 45/70

imported post

joeroket wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
joeroket wrote:
NavyLT wrote:

But that would imply I have a holster other than for my carry gun. :p
You should have holsters for a lot of your guns not just one. Suppose that primary gun breaks, you gonna go naked until it is fixed?

joeroket

imported post

Hell no. I will make my wife go buy one for me so I don't have to leave unarmed.:lol:

I have a Uncle Mikes nylon one that I would use to CC if that was the case but I really do not like carrying with that holster.

Bear 45/70

imported post

joeroket wrote:
Hell no. I will make my wife go buy one for me so I don't have to leave unarmed.:lol:

I have a Uncle Mikes nylon one that I would use to CC if that was the case but I really do not like carrying with that holster.
Yeah right, you make the wife????? No, you can't come live at my house when you try this!:lol:

joeroket

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
joeroket wrote:

Yeah right, you make the wife????? No, you can't come live at my house when you try this!:lol:
LOL I'll just live in my Blazer and take my showers at the high school.

Bear 45/70

imported post

joeroket wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
joeroket wrote:

LOL I'll just live in my Blazer and take my showers at the high school.
The first homeless OC guy. A distinction that will follow you thru life.:lol:

Bear 45/70

imported post

joeroket wrote:
Well it's a good thing I have a CPL otherwise I would have to be unarmed at "home".
:celebrate
RoflLg.gif

BlaineG

imported post

Joe, don't let Bear fool ya.......He's so whipped, but that's because he likes it.

tricityguy

imported post

Thanks everyone for the replies. Sounds like there is little I need to do to prepare, just go over the laws once more to make sure I fully understand my rights and responsibilities, then start open carrying. Let's hope I can post some positive experiences with this.

Bear 45/70

imported post

BlaineG wrote:
Joe, don't let Bear fool ya.......He's so whipped, but that's because he likes it.
I'm whipped huh? Who got to go shooting with you and Sure-Shot on my wedding anniversary this last August. Yeah, I like being the whipped Bear. Oh, how many guns did your wife ever buy you?

neddis

imported post

So hey, I would love to meet up some time in the Tri-Cities. I am OCing whenever I go there, so we must not have crossed paths yet. :) Sportsman's Warehouse in Kennewick has never asked me to unload, but the one in Medford, OR did. My favorite OC holster is an Uncle Mike's pancake holster. It was $20 at Sportsman's Warehouse. Anyway, as for a good OC pistol, XD 9mm is great. I had one until about a week ago (sold it to go for the new .45 with thumb safety). I highly recommend it - accurate, light, and laser grips available. The grip safety is a plus and the grip angle is comfortable. I almost got misty-eyed when I sold it. Anyway, I would love to meet for an OC lunch/dinner in the tri-cities sometime. The only place I have had a problem OCing there is at the DOL.