Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31

Thread: Leesburg Multi-state Meet-up

  1. #1
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,613

    Post imported post

    We met new friends and renewed old acquaintances at Red, Hot & Blue in Leesburg, A common element joined people from Del., Pa,. Md., W. Va. and Va. The food was only out done by the conversation.

    All age groups were represented - baby in carrier, young preteens, couples, spouses, singles, two mothers-to-be and a pithy, slightly older gentleman. Someone said that they thought from his postings that he must have been a young firebrand or something like that. Thanks Harper and good luck! Philip of VCDL fame even snuck in the front door.

    The staff was really nice, efficient and a real pleasure. Several expressed an interest - so conversations were occurring everywhere and OC cards passed out - even one "Guns Save Lives" button.

    Skidmark and I had a nice conversation with a man at a convenience store on the way home - he wanted to know the best caliber to carry for self-defense. Skid asked him what he had - a .40 cal said he - well whatever you have is better than not carrying so I'd say .40 cal was the best in your case. If he keeps up being pithy, I may have to start looming.

    Wish it had all lasted for two more hours. Thanks everybody!

    For pictures: http://tinyurl.com/55uf46


    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , Maryland, USA
    Posts
    230

    Post imported post

    And even the People's Republic of Maryland was represented . Unfortunately, my parole from the state didn't last as long as I would have liked...but something is always better than nothing!

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    US
    Posts
    3,156

    Post imported post

    Ahh crap! I completely forgot about this today!!!

    Oh well at least hopefully I can see some pics when they're posted.

    See everyone at the next VCDL meeting/dinner on the 18th!


  4. #4
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,613

    Post imported post

    nova wrote:
    Ahh crap! I completely forgot about this today!!!

    Oh well at least hopefully I can see some pics when they're posted.

    See everyone at the next VCDL meeting/dinner on the 18th!
    A long Friday makes for a short Saturday.

    Some pix are up - see OP at the top.

    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  5. #5
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,848

    Post imported post

    nova wrote:
    Ahh crap! I completely forgot about this today!!!
    another reason I use evite.. it sends out reminders!
    Carry On.

    Ed

    VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

  6. #6
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,848

    Post imported post

    Also.. thanks to all that participated in Bullsye Brookie's digital voice recorder raffle. Tess's husband won it. We had $40.00 left over so that will be sent to OCDO Billboard fund from you all.

    Dear Ed Levine,

    This email confirms that you have donated $40.00 USD to jpierce@speedscape.com (jpierce@speedscape.com) using PayPal.

    Donation Details
    Confirmation number: 2SB16034EV910083A Donation amount: $40.00 USD Total: $40.00 USD Purpose: OCDO TX Houston Contributor: Ed Levine

    Carry On.

    Ed

    VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

  7. #7
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,848

    Post imported post

    Carry On.

    Ed

    VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

  8. #8
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,613

    Post imported post

    ed wrote:
    Also.. thanks to all that participated in Bullsye Brookie's digital voice recorder raffle. Tess's husband won it. We had $40.00 left over so that will be sent to OCDO Billboard fund from you all.

    Dear Ed Levine,

    This email confirms that you have donated $40.00 USD to jpierce@speedscape.com (jpierce@speedscape.com) using PayPal.

    Donation Details
    Confirmation number: 2SB16034EV910083A Donation amount: $40.00 USD Total: $40.00 USD Purpose: OCDO TX Houston Contributor: Ed Levine
    Good work - great idea.

    BTW - Bullsye Brookie is quite the young lady - she just may need a pink case like Skidmark has to keep her OCDO, VCDL and 2nd Amend. matterial close at hand and neat.

    Yata hey


    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  9. #9
    Regular Member IanB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    1,896

    Post imported post

    ed wrote:
    nova wrote:
    Ahh crap! I completely forgot about this today!!!
    another reason I use evite.. it sends out reminders!
    I agree with Ed, for larger events like this... Evite is a clear winner.

    We should make this an annual event with the following elements:

    • Use Evite
    • Make announcement in individual state forums but have all discussion for event in one single thread located in general discussion area
    • Rotate the hosting state yearly so it's not always in NoVA
    • Plan event to coincide with a local gun show
    • Event should be after the labor day weekend (families plan vacations during the summer, we can't compete with vacation time!)
    • Perhaps the press could be invited?

    Any other suggestions?




  10. #10
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,613

    Post imported post

    Do not refer to "registration" but rather confirm or RSVP - just a little softer and less formal.

    Do not close the confirmation so far out in advance. The restuarants with whom we deal locally can adjust if given 24 hrs. or less notice.

    But I am not complaining - you did a super job organizing.

    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , Maryland, USA
    Posts
    230

    Post imported post

    Rotating the State is a great idea too. Of course, those from Maryland will (at least for the near future) get to visit another state for the get-together.

    The day we can legally hold the event in Maryland, I'll personally pay for lunch .

    Disclaimer:
    1. The free Maryland Open Carry Lunch offer is valid to the first 30 attendees.
    2. The offer is valid as long as it is not discovered by the sponsor's wife.
    3. Attendees must sign a waiver absolving sponsor of any future legal claims due to quantity of calories consumed at said event.
    4. At the time of said event, sponsor must still be a legal resident of the State of Maryland.


  12. #12
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,613

    Post imported post

    echo6tango wrote:
    Rotating the State is a great idea too. Of course, those from Maryland will (at least for the near future) get to visit another state for the get-together.

    The day we can legally hold the event in Maryland, I'll personally pay for lunch .

    Disclaimer:
    1. The free Maryland Open Carry Lunch offer is valid to the first 30 attendees.
    2. The offer is valid as long as it is not discovered by the sponsor's wife.
    3. Attendees must sign a waiver absolving sponsor of any future legal claims due to quantity of calories consumed at said event.
    4. At the time of said event, sponsor must still be a legal resident of the State of Maryland.
    Unless you are very young, I don't think that you risk much. Of course by that time a decent resaurant meal may run $150.00 per person!

    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  13. #13
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Posts
    839

    Post imported post

    nakedshoplifter wrote:
    ed wrote:
    nova wrote:
    Ahh crap! I completely forgot about this today!!!
    another reason I use evite.. it sends out reminders!
    I agree with Ed, for larger events like this... Evite is a clear winner.

    We should make this an annual event with the following elements:
    • Use Evite
    • Make announcement in individual state forums but have all discussion for event in one single thread located in general discussion area
    • Rotate the hosting state yearly so it's not always in NoVA
    • Plan event to coincide with a local gun show
    • Event should be after the labor day weekend (families plan vacations during the summer, we can't compete with vacation time!)
    • Perhaps the press could be invited?
    Any other suggestions?
    I have a suggestion. I enjoyed the event, but the seating arrangement made it tough to get to talk to move around and meet people. I haven't gotten a chance to got to one of the VCDL picnics, but watching the video on Nightline, the open environment of a picnic seems to facilitate a meet and greet a little better.

    Just my $.02

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    US
    Posts
    3,156

    Post imported post

    That just gives us the excuse to have another picnic!

    I'd been thinking about organizing one this fall anyhow...just not sure about how to do it or when. Burke lake park is a nice location....

  15. #15
    Founder's Club Member Tess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,765

    Post imported post

    Those who are also VCDL members might keep in mind the VCDL picnic to be held Oct 4.

    See the VA-ALERT mini-update of 9/6 here
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

  16. #16
    Regular Member pro2A's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Greencastle, Pennsylvania, United States
    Posts
    76

    Post imported post

    Grapeshot wrote:
    We met new friends and renewed old acquaintances at Red, Hot & Blue in Leesburg, A common element joined people from Del., Pa,. Md., W. Va. and Va. The food was only out done by the conversation.

    All age groups were represented - baby in carrier, young preteens, couples, spouses, singles, two mothers-to-be and a pithy, slightly older gentleman. Someone said that they thought from his postings that he must have been a young firebrand or something like that. Thanks Harper and good luck! Philip of VCDL fame even snuck in the front door.

    The staff was really nice, efficient and a real pleasure. Several expressed an interest - so conversations were occurring everywhere and OC cards passed out - even one "Guns Save Lives" button.

    Skidmark and I had a nice conversation with a man at a convenience store on the way home - he wanted to know the best caliber to carry for self-defense. Skid asked him what he had - a .40 cal said he - well whatever you have is better than not carrying so I'd say .40 cal was the best in your case. If he keeps up being pithy, I may have to start looming.

    Wish it had all lasted for two more hours. Thanks everybody!

    For pictures: http://tinyurl.com/55uf46


    Yata hey
    Anything more then thumbnails? I'd love to save these photos.

  17. #17
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,613

    Post imported post

    pro2A wrote:
    Grapeshot wrote:
    For pictures: http://tinyurl.com/55uf46

    Yata hey
    Anything more then thumbnails? I'd love to save these photos.
    All of the pictures will click to full size except for the one of building facade - can't figure why it won't. You are welcome to download and save them.

    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  18. #18
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,848

    Post imported post

    pro2A wrote:
    Anything more then thumbnails? I'd love to save these photos.
    More pics: http://tinyurl.com/leesburgrhb


    Carry On.

    Ed

    VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

  19. #19
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,613

    Post imported post

    Tess wrote:
    Those who are also VCDL members might keep in mind the VCDL picnic to be held Oct 4.

    See the VA-ALERT mini-update of 9/6 here
    Could not find an active link to RSVP the picnic -anybody got it or is an email the best bet? How much ammo is recommended?

    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  20. #20
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,613

    Post imported post

    ed wrote:
    pro2A wrote:
    Anything more then thumbnails? I'd love to save these photos.
    More pics: http://tinyurl.com/leesburgrhb
    Ed your linky no worky - need to copy and paste for it to work.

    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  21. #21
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,848

    Post imported post

    Grapeshot wrote:
    ed wrote:
    pro2A wrote:
    Anything more then thumbnails? I'd love to save these photos.
    More pics: http://tinyurl.com/leesburgrhb
    Ed your linky no worky - need to copy and paste for it to work.

    Yata hey
    fixed: http://tinyurl.com/leesburgrhb

    Carry On.

    Ed

    VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

  22. #22
    Founder's Club Member Tess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,765

    Post imported post

    Grapeshot wrote:
    Could not find an active link to RSVP the picnic -anybody got it or is an email the best bet? How much ammo is recommended?

    Yata hey
    They ask people to e-mail RSVPs. Those without e-mail can call the VCDL number; it'll be in The Defender if I get it out soon enough.

    Don't know what kind of shoot will be set up, so no idea how much ammo. I'd figure 75-100 rounds if you're going to shoot, but then I seldom have a range bag without about 200 rounds.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    US
    Posts
    3,156

    Post imported post

    Oh yeah...this is the picnic with the shoot! Too bad I'm not old enough to participate...:?

    I'll have to see if I'm free to make it down anyways because I always enjoy the company of fellow OCers!

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hopewell, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    211

    Post imported post

    nova wrote:
    Oh yeah...this is the picnic with the shoot! Too bad I'm not old enough to participate...:?

    I'll have to see if I'm free to make it down anyways because I always enjoy the company of fellow OCers!
    As far as I know, there's no age limit for the VCDL picnic and shoot listed in the alerts/news letters thatI've seen thus far.

    There is an age limit on the match Cedar Mountian puts on.

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hopewell, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    211

    Post imported post

    Grapeshot wrote:
    <<snip>> How much ammo is recommended?

    Yata hey
    As much as you need to hit the target. See ya at Pino's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •