• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Leesburg Multi-state Meet-up

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

We met new friends and renewed old acquaintances at Red, Hot & Blue in Leesburg, A common element joined people from Del., Pa,. Md., W. Va. and Va. The food was only out done by the conversation.

All age groups were represented - baby in carrier, young preteens, couples, spouses, singles, two mothers-to-be and a pithy, slightly older gentleman. Someone said that they thought from his postings that he must have been a young firebrand or something like that. Thanks Harper and good luck! Philip of VCDL fame even snuck in the front door.

The staff was really nice, efficient and a real pleasure. Several expressed an interest - so conversations were occurring everywhere and OC cards passed out - even one "Guns Save Lives" button.

Skidmark and I had a nice conversation with a man at a convenience store on the way home - he wanted to know the best caliber to carry for self-defense. Skid asked him what he had - a .40 cal said he - well whatever you have is better than not carrying so I'd say .40 cal was the best in your case. If he keeps up being pithy, I may have to start looming.

Wish it had all lasted for two more hours. Thanks everybody!

For pictures: http://tinyurl.com/55uf46

Yata hey

echo6tango

imported post

And even the People's Republic of Maryland was represented :). Unfortunately, my parole from the state didn't last as long as I would have liked...but something is always better than nothing!

nova

imported post

Ahh crap! I completely forgot about this today!!!:banghead::banghead:

Oh well at least hopefully I can see some pics when they're posted.

See everyone at the next VCDL meeting/dinner on the 18th!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

nova wrote:

Oh well at least hopefully I can see some pics when they're posted.

See everyone at the next VCDL meeting/dinner on the 18th!
A long Friday makes for a short Saturday. :)

Some pix are up - see OP at the top.

Yata hey

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

Also.. thanks to all that participated in Bullsye Brookie's digital voice recorder raffle. Tess's husband won it. We had $40.00 left over so that will be sent to OCDO Billboard fund from you all.

Dear Ed Levine,

This email confirms that you have donated $40.00 USD to jpierce@speedscape.com (jpierce@speedscape.com) using PayPal.

Donation Details
Confirmation number:
pixel.gif
2SB16034EV910083A Donation amount:
pixel.gif
$40.00 USD Total:
pixel.gif
$40.00 USD Purpose:
pixel.gif
OCDO TX Houston Contributor:
pixel.gif
Ed Levine

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

ed wrote:
Also.. thanks to all that participated in Bullsye Brookie's digital voice recorder raffle. Tess's husband won it. We had $40.00 left over so that will be sent to OCDO Billboard fund from you all.

Dear Ed Levine,

This email confirms that you have donated $40.00 USD to jpierce@speedscape.com (jpierce@speedscape.com) using PayPal.

Donation Details
Confirmation number:
pixel.gif
2SB16034EV910083A Donation amount:
pixel.gif
$40.00 USD Total:
pixel.gif
$40.00 USD Purpose:
pixel.gif
OCDO TX Houston Contributor:
pixel.gif
Ed Levine
Good work - great idea.

BTW - Bullsye Brookie is quite the young lady - she just may need a pink case like Skidmark has to keep her OCDO, VCDL and 2nd Amend. matterial close at hand and neat. :)

Yata hey

IanB

imported post

ed wrote:
nova wrote:
another reason I use evite.. it sends out reminders!
I agree with Ed, for larger events like this... Evite is a clear winner.

We should make this an annual event with the following elements:

• Use Evite
  • Make announcement in individual state forums but have all discussion for event in one single thread located in general discussion area
  • Rotate the hosting state yearly so it's not always in NoVA
  • Plan event to coincide with a local gun show
  • Event should be after the labor day weekend (families plan vacations during the summer, we can't compete with vacation time!)
  • Perhaps the press could be invited?
Any other suggestions?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Do not refer to "registration" but rather confirm or RSVP - just a little softer and less formal.

Do not close the confirmation so far out in advance. The restuarants with whom we deal locally can adjust if given 24 hrs. or less notice.

But I am not complaining - you did a super job organizing. :D

Yata hey

echo6tango

imported post

Rotating the State is a great idea too. Of course, those from Maryland will (at least for the near future) get to visit another state for the get-together.

The day we can legally hold the event in Maryland, I'll personally pay for lunch :).

Disclaimer:
1. The free Maryland Open Carry Lunch offer is valid to the first 30 attendees.
2. The offer is valid as long as it is not discovered by the sponsor's wife.
3. Attendees must sign a waiver absolving sponsor of any future legal claims due to quantity of calories consumed at said event.
4. At the time of said event, sponsor must still be a legal resident of the State of Maryland.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

echo6tango wrote:
Rotating the State is a great idea too. Of course, those from Maryland will (at least for the near future) get to visit another state for the get-together.

The day we can legally hold the event in Maryland, I'll personally pay for lunch :).

Disclaimer:
1. The free Maryland Open Carry Lunch offer is valid to the first 30 attendees.
2. The offer is valid as long as it is not discovered by the sponsor's wife.
3. Attendees must sign a waiver absolving sponsor of any future legal claims due to quantity of calories consumed at said event.
4. At the time of said event, sponsor must still be a legal resident of the State of Maryland.
Unless you are very young, I don't think that you risk much. Of course by that time a decent resaurant meal may run $150.00 per person! :lol:

Yata hey

asforme

Campaign Veteran
imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
ed wrote:
nova wrote:
another reason I use evite.. it sends out reminders!
I agree with Ed, for larger events like this... Evite is a clear winner.

We should make this an annual event with the following elements:
  • Use Evite
  • Make announcement in individual state forums but have all discussion for event in one single thread located in general discussion area
  • Rotate the hosting state yearly so it's not always in NoVA
  • Plan event to coincide with a local gun show
  • Event should be after the labor day weekend (families plan vacations during the summer, we can't compete with vacation time!)
  • Perhaps the press could be invited?
Any other suggestions?
I have a suggestion. I enjoyed the event, but the seating arrangement made it tough to get to talk to move around and meet people. I haven't gotten a chance to got to one of the VCDL picnics, but watching the video on Nightline, the open environment of a picnic seems to facilitate a meet and greet a little better.

Just my $.02

nova

imported post

That just gives us the excuse to have another picnic!

I'd been thinking about organizing one this fall anyhow...just not sure about how to do it or when. Burke lake park is a nice location....;)

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Those who are also VCDL members might keep in mind the VCDL picnic to be held Oct 4.

See the VA-ALERT mini-update of 9/6 here

pro2A

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
We met new friends and renewed old acquaintances at Red, Hot & Blue in Leesburg, A common element joined people from Del., Pa,. Md., W. Va. and Va. The food was only out done by the conversation.

All age groups were represented - baby in carrier, young preteens, couples, spouses, singles, two mothers-to-be and a pithy, slightly older gentleman. Someone said that they thought from his postings that he must have been a young firebrand or something like that. Thanks Harper and good luck! Philip of VCDL fame even snuck in the front door.

The staff was really nice, efficient and a real pleasure. Several expressed an interest - so conversations were occurring everywhere and OC cards passed out - even one "Guns Save Lives" button.

Skidmark and I had a nice conversation with a man at a convenience store on the way home - he wanted to know the best caliber to carry for self-defense. Skid asked him what he had - a .40 cal said he - well whatever you have is better than not carrying so I'd say .40 cal was the best in your case. If he keeps up being pithy, I may have to start looming.

Wish it had all lasted for two more hours. Thanks everybody!

For pictures: http://tinyurl.com/55uf46

Yata hey
Anything more then thumbnails? I'd love to save these photos.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Tess wrote:
Those who are also VCDL members might keep in mind the VCDL picnic to be held Oct 4.

See the VA-ALERT mini-update of 9/6 here
Could not find an active link to RSVP the picnic -anybody got it or is an email the best bet? How much ammo is recommended?

Yata hey