• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCing in Junction City

JBURGII

imported post

Had to chuckle at that one Ory..

M1, would appreciate it, I looked around and found some reference to Safeway encounters but not a definitive answer from corporate about their policies. I like to be 'armed' with knowledge as well as my sidearm.

I did find a LOT of stories from Google about armed robbery and assaults in Safeway stores around the country.. and with the current economic times and the trend of grocery and department stores to have Bank outlets in them gives even more lure to those who are willing to take what doesn't belong to them..

J

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

The post I saw had a OC member talking to a Safeway manager who ok'd carry in the stores. I don't have any corporate letterhead or email stating so.

Glockguy

imported post

Home Depot here in albany does NOT allow Open Or conceal carry... I have been asked to leave for Conceal carrying and Soo have many others i know, I just have a lil vest over my gun that was on my hip.... Soo From wat I kno they do not allow Any Guns in their store... Maybe its just the albany Store...

JBURGII

imported post

I was searching the threads for 'safeway / policy' and found a lot of info. Problem I see is even with a corporate policy we have a lot of local managers who either don't know or don't care about that and go with popular ignorance that the average guy (or gal) can't carry a weapon. I just got back from Blockbuster and Dairy Mart with no problems. I am OCing on my motorcycle.. and loving every minute of it. I never thought I could improve my love of riding.. till I strapped ona .45. :cool:

I think a lot of my 'lack of notice' is the fact that I carry a black gun in a flat black holster and a black leather jacket.. except for the fact that it is a rather large pistol it goes unnoticed. People are used to cell phones, fanny packs, etc...

I put a call in to Safeways legal dept. but have not had a call back as of yet. Will keep at it and let yall know what happens.

Would one of those dark blue windbreakers with big white letters OCDO on the back be too.... FBIish.. ??

:p J

JBURGII

imported post

Well, I have been OCing in Safeway for a couple of weeks now with no problems (I'm convinced that I am just invisible.. ) and this evening I carried in to U.S. Bank in Junction City to make a deposit for my job. I decided to broach the subject with the clerk and bank manager. I brought up the fact that I had not been able to get an answer from corporate yet but that I could not wait to come in and do business, of which we do a LOT of business with them. They have seen me as a regular customer and didn't seem worried by the subject. Even went so far as to invite me to a local business owners meeting to give a presentation!! What an opportunity to spread the word in good light to many local small and large business in one fell swoop!!

J

JBURGII

imported post

Well, here to update.. the assistant manager of JC Safeway made a few calls to corporate about OC and came up with a resounding no on any kind of carry in Safeway, but personally he was interested in some info for two of his relatives and himself.. referred him here and hope to see some posts..

U.S. Bank in JC, I got ahold of Janet at the Eugene Main office and she said they do not allow any weapons carried by anyone not LE. She also claims because they are FDIC they are under federal statute and cannot allow firearms.. I mentioned that they were federally regulated.. NOT an actual federal building and she could not get me off the phone fast enough.. did not want to continue discussing it at all.. she did give me the number for a 'higher' office, a fellow named Peter Milliron @ 465-4062 who reiterated their federal status and threw in they are 'nationally chartered' and that as well as them being private property lets them bar weapons. Mr. Milliron in a voice mail also claimed to be a staunch supporter of the 2A and absolutely wanted to keep our business but could not allow OC/CC in U.S.Bank. I didn't get to call him back yet.. wanted to look up this nationally chartered angle.. anyone caught this same excuse??

James

Orygunner

imported post

The only thing I've ever dealt with at a bank is I asked the teller at Oregon Community Credit Union in Springfield if they allowed openly carried firearms, and she said yes, she thought they perfer open carry, because they want to see who's armed and they don't want people to hide them :shock:.

Hey, that was good enough for me.:celebrate

As far as federal laws go, I'd suggest searching some of the federal law sites, then you can say for certain that you've researched, and there's no such thing (I think they're full o' BS and trying to cover their decision by blowing smoke).

I've seen discussed that it's not a good idea to ask permission from a company if you can OC because it's extremely easy to just say "no" whether it's actually policy or not. Does it feel like you're running into that problem?

If you are going to ask, perhaps have them give you a copy of the actual official company policy. If they can't or won't, I would ask them "how do I know you're just not making it up then?"

...Orygunner...

Cremator75

imported post

JBURGII wrote:
I got ahold of Janet at the Eugene Main office and she said they do not allow any weapons carried by anyone not LE.
You can always come back with the question of why they only want a bank robber to be armed, and not any law abiding citizens armed, to keep their tellers from harms way and money in their safe.

JBURGII

imported post

Cremator75 wrote:
JBURGII wrote:
I got ahold of Janet at the Eugene Main office and she said they do not allow any weapons carried by anyone not LE.
You can always come back with the question of why they only want a bank robber to be armed, and not any law abiding citizens armed, to keep their tellers from harms way and money in their safe.

I did try to banter with her a little bit about it.. I asked her what she thought the difference between a LAC and a LEO carrying was and she just kept dodging. She claims they are a bit spooked because of a rash of robberies.. to which I replied something to the effect of "Wouldn't it then be good to have citizens with legally carried weapons to deter crime?" and of course.. they just don't want to incite violence.. I haven't spoken directly with the gentlman that left me the voicemail but will call him back soon to verify.

Orygunner, I usually let them take the first step.. I had OCed in Safeway a dozen times or so before they noticed and asked me to disarm. U.S.Bank noticed the first time I entered with my sidearm and although they were not worried due to the fact that I am a repeat customer and they know me.. but they were concerned about policy and so the calls to main office.. I am convinced that given the opportunity, local managers will just tell you no as a matter of personal opinion and not corporate policy.. I do plan on doing a little digging on that whole 'federal, nationally chartered' hogwash the bank seemed to be spouting.. you ought to hear the nervous condition this guy must have on my voicemail.. kind of like.. "um we are federally insured and well because we are nationally charted unlike your local small banks.. we don't allow guns.. and besides the private property that we are allows us to ban them.. "

I will actually try to get the .doc version of the convo cuz is kinda funny.. just can't get the sound of his voice that way.. I am constantly amazed at the abject fear folks have of a gun.. I could actually hear the trembling I think..

A few of the smaller locally owned businesses have welcomed me in there establishments armed. So I have been happy with the amount of interest I have come across and have done my best to educate the people. Like I said before, the A.M. of Safeway was very congenial and interested in more info. Young lady at the coffee shop was grilling me about it on behalf of her boyfriend so of course directed them here..

I digress.. well for the moment.. :D

Merry Christmas all !!!

James

JBURGII

imported post

Well, today I ventured out of JC to the Wal-Mart Supercenter in west Eugene for the last Christmas shopping.. I was in there for over 5 grueling hours with the g/f. I was OC the entire time with not a problem.. had a few glances but nobody ran screaming! Not only that, while I was in the grocery section an employee sidled up and asked what I was carrying and if I liked it!! After I recovered, he mentioned he was former L.A. LEO and really enjoyed being in Oregon. So I of course whip out my handy dandy OCDO Oregon Gun Rights tri fold flyer and say welcome.. he thought he had heard of us from some family members who are enthusiasts.. kinda made up for the sore feet after all those hours trekking through isle after isle of cheerful jingly stuff...

James

JBURGII

imported post

Just a quick update: OCed in Wendys and Wal-Mart at the Delta Shopping center which happens to be next to the Joe's here.. (didn't go in there today).. a few curious glances was all I got.. even in the after christmas crowd in Wally World.. :cool:

James

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

JBURGII wrote:
I do plan on doing a little digging on that whole 'federal, nationally chartered' hogwash the bank seemed to be spouting.. you ought to hear the nervous condition this guy must have on my voicemail..  kind of like.. "um we are federally insured and well because we are nationally charted unlike your local small banks.. we don't allow guns.. and besides the private property that we are allows us to ban them.. "
lol, I had a guy in Williamsburg, Virginia literally run up and ask me to my conceal my handgun. When I told him I didn't have a permit so that would be illegal, he spouted of some nonsense about how they have a Federal charter and so they must ban guns.

I felt like explaining that they don't need a federal charter to ban guns on private property, and it's impossible to ban guns on public streets in Virginia, so the mere fact that he made this excuse demonstrates that they have no such policy. Oh well.

JBURGII

imported post

That sure sounds familiar.. this ol boy was almost panicked while trying to be nice yet keep me from bringing a weapon to the bank.. him and the woman I talked to before were both adamant about them being a federal nationally chartered business therefore it was illegal to approch them.. :?.. I told her they didn't have to get elaborate about their excuses.. being private property they have every right to control it.. its like they had too make layers of protection for themselves..

James

JBURGII

imported post

OC UPDATE: Can't say there has been anything spectacular happening out here. Ihave been carrying in many areas around Lane County, just wanted to list a few businesses where I have had no problems. Either they don't have issue with it or didn't notice. Others of you may have had previous direct contact with them in which case I would like to hear about it.

Wilco Farm Supply - Spfld

Jerry's Home Improvement- Eugene

GJ's Diner - Eugene (really good eats)

WINCO - Eugene

Stay safe everyone.

J

Glockguy

imported post

You know... I really think its depends on the actual Store your in... Cause here in Albany Home Depot Doesn't even allow Conceal carry, but yet others on here OC in differnt towns and they are fine with it... One of the main reasons why i dont OC so much unless its in a lil super market or a fast food joint is cause Im only 22 but look younger.. soo people I think Stare at me more.. But Just a curious question... Do LEO's have to have a badge in site when carrying a weapon? When I first thought about OC I thought that People would just think I was an LEO ( Not that i wanna Pretend to be one) and not say anything.. but i guess i was wrong...

JBURGII

imported post

We have touched on this type of thing somewhere else around here I think. Very interesting what people think of you based on your appearance.. I am in the throes of a mid-life transition so don't have the 'youth' issue to deal with.. I think the little sparkle of 'color' in my hair gives me some semblence of trustworthiness..

Try carrying in two different modes.. clean and smartly dressed and then not so smartly dressed.. see what reactions you get.. Attitude makes a big difference as well.. you act like a punk.. well.. you know.. then if you act like a mature adult, you get treated like one.

As far as stores go, some areas are more sensitive to the subject than others.. like here I notice a lot of folks just take it in stride.. very little negative response.. yet I hear guys talk about their areas where they can't hardly step out of the house without getting flak..

J

Orygunner

imported post

Glockguy wrote:
You know... I really think its depends on the actual Store your in... Cause here in Albany Home Depot Doesn't even allow Conceal carry, but yet others on here OC in differnt towns and they are fine with it... One of the main reasons why i dont OC so much unless its in a lil super market or a fast food joint is cause Im only 22 but look younger.. soo people I think Stare at me more.. But Just a curious question... Do LEO's have to have a badge in site when carrying a weapon? When I first thought about OC I thought that People would just think I was an LEO ( Not that i wanna Pretend to be one) and not say anything.. but i guess i was wrong...

With Home Depot, it must be store dependant, because I know there's some Home Depots that have no problem with it at all. Jerry Brewer in Michigan (from the Saturday Afternoon Shootout, I can't remember his handle on OCDO) got permission from his local Home Depot, then the cops hassled him anyway :) :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I40zAQGhXkU

In Oregon, no, there's no legal requirement for officers to display a badge when open carrying, although there may be some department policies, which I would have no idea about.

Don't be afraid to OC some places just because of your age. As long as you're behaving yourself maturely, and firmly know the law and your rights. You'll probably find that most people don't notice, and the ones that do may watch you closely, but that's the point of OC, isn't it? For people to notice, and realize "Hey... He behaved like a normal person... Maybe nothing wrong with people carrying guns after all..."

...Orygunner...

JBURGII

imported post

Don't let fear get the best of you, turn it into awareness.. practice situational awareness at all times.. even when you are not carrying.

J

"All hail J, all hail J!" :celebrate

JBURGII

imported post

New places I have OCed...

Eugene Livestock Auction / Cafe

Oregon Horse Center / Quarter Horse show this weekend.. three days of horses, cows, boots n hats.. and I was the only one with a gun... I suggested we get a good leather smith in there for some belts n holsters.. I tried to suggest the riders should get more points for a nice sidearm to match their outfits..

J

JBURGII

imported post

I almost forgot, this weekend I had walked over to the local Dutch Bros. to get a jolt of java (OCing all the way) and the young lady asked me to stay there for a few minutes as another fellow had walked up who had just been there getting a cup of joe.. I could hear him asking her what the little plastic bubbles were on the window.. (cameras) and talking a bit gibberish.. complaining that the coffee was cold and weak.. which never happens there.. he finally wandered off and she thanked me for standing by.. I know this wasn't a major event but it does make me feel good that someone can count on us if for nothing else than a little sense of security in a questionable situation.

Have a great week everyone.

J