• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Louisiana to NY

Carondalet

imported post

I've lived in Louisiana for the last 15 years,and enjoy its CCW permit as well as Florida and New Hampshire non-residents' permits. I am a native of Chemung County in NY and may very well find myself back there due to my Mother's health.

I know these permits don't mean squat there and it is going to be a real shock for me if I have to go back as far as carrying. Here, I often open carry-banks, Walmart, buying liquor at the corner mini-mart. How can one go from this to that? My drivers' licence is good in every state, why not my permit?

I've read through these NY posts, but do you have to obtain a permit in the county you live in? Is it only good for your county? Can you go to an 'easier' county to get it? We still have a place on Keuka Lake(I think Wayne County) for a different mailing address. Is a permit from upstate good in NYC? I looked at Steuben and Chemung county websites and not even a mention of how to get permits. Are they the issuing authority?

Ah, geez....I'm getting depressed.

DT4E31

imported post

I believe you need to apply for the permit from the chief law enforcement officer that covers your legal residence. Some regions have city and county pd level pistol licensing divisions, upstate? I've heard Judges may issue them. I guess you should just contact your local sheriff/pd office and ask for a pistol license application.

The only valid permit for NYC is one issued by NYC, although a NYC permit is valid statewide (thank you NYC liberal ass***** politicians)

Jared

imported post

Carondalet wrote:
I've lived in Louisiana for the last 15 years,and enjoy its CCW permit as well as Florida and New Hampshire non-residents' permits. I am a native of Chemung County in NY and may very well find myself back there due to my Mother's health.

I know these permits don't mean squat there and it is going to be a real shock for me if I have to go back as far as carrying. Here, I often open carry-banks, Walmart, buying liquor at the corner mini-mart. How can one go from this to that? My drivers' licence is good in every state, why not my permit?

I've read through these NY posts, but do you have to obtain a permit in the county you live in? Is it only good for your county? Can you go to an 'easier' county to get it? We still have a place on Keuka Lake(I think Wayne County) for a different mailing address. Is a permit from upstate good in NYC? I looked at Steuben and Chemung county websites and not even a mention of how to get permits. Are they the issuing authority?

Ah, geez....I'm getting depressed.

Everything is clearly spelt out in Penal Code 400.00

You must apply within the county where you have a residence or business.

You apply and a judge decides if your "worthy" or not. Judges are elected and sit on the court for 10 years.

Judges are responsible for issuing permits everywhere in the state except for Westchester, New York City, Nassau, and the western part of Suffolk County.

All permits are valid for life unless it was issued in Westchester, Nassau, or Suffolk County ( 5 year permits). Licenses issued in New York City are valid for 3 years.

From my understanding Wayne County will have no problem issuing for personal protection.

The only pain about Wayne County is that instead of issuing you one license with all our guns (or 1 license per 5 guns you own) they issue you one license per gun. So if you have 10 pistols, you would have 10 licenses.

The only plus side to that is that whenever you add a gun to your license, your status is up for negotiation regarding full carry or restricted permits. If you have one permit for each gun, then one day if you get a bad judge for a new gun, only that gun would be restricted for carry while your other ones would still be ok for CCW.

All licenses are valid statewide, except licenses issued outside of NYC are not valid in NYC; however, you can apply for a 3 year license out of New York City if you have a NY permit from elsewhere, it's called a license validation, but don't waste your time, you wont get one.