• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Help me decide!

357luvr

imported post

Pretty simple. I need a SHTF/Plinker handgun. Those are the only two roles that it will fill except for a possible competition (if I ever get into that) but either way, I'm not going to be carrying this out in public. So size is not that big of a concern.I want it in 9mm for a couple reasons. 1) Cost to feed. 2) Capacity. I've already got a 44mag revolver that goes on the theory of bigger is better so I definitely want a 9mm. I want the highest accuracy available. However, I don't have much money. Actually I won't have the money for a while, I'm basically trying to decide before hand.

Basically I'm just looking for some information as far as which is more accurate - the G34 or the Sig 226?

David.Car

imported post

As far as accuracy goes, both of them are only going to be as accurate as the shooter.

Just depends on which one fits your hand best, and what type of sights they have and what you again shoot best with.

I have a P226 that is more accurate than I am.

RaidersRule

imported post

I've got the Sig P2022 9mm pro and a Glcok 26 9mm. Really like both of them and the 9mm is great fun to shoot. Ammo around $7 a box which makes it easy to shoot a few hundred rounds each time I go to the range.

You can't go wrong with either gun, both are effective and should fulfill your role very well.

cREbralFIX

imported post

357luvr wrote:
Pretty simple. I need a SHTF/Plinker handgun. Those are the only two roles that it will fill except for a possible competition (if I ever get into that) but either way, I'm not going to be carrying this out in public. So size is not that big of a concern.I want it in 9mm for a couple reasons. 1) Cost to feed. 2) Capacity. I've already got a 44mag revolver that goes on the theory of bigger is better so I definitely want a 9mm. I want the highest accuracy available. However, I don't have much money. Actually I won't have the money for a while, I'm basically trying to decide before hand.

Basically I'm just looking for some information as far as which is more accurate - the G34 or the Sig 226?

Both are really, really good. In terms of the mechanics of shooting, both are very good. It's a matter of what happens when the shooter gets his mitts on the gun. The SIG P226 will have a heavier and longer double action trigger pull than the G34 (which has the 3.5# connector for a somewhat long, but lighter squishy feel). The P226's single action trigger pull should be pretty nice. If you get a P226, send it to Bruce Gray (grayguns.com) for a competition trigger job.

It really comes down to your proficiency in shooting as to which will be better. For an overall decent competition gun, the Glock 34 will be the way to go out of the box. For a slightly better gun, get the P226. Improve upon that base with some work done on it (the trigger job won't be low priced either), resulting in a better gun overall. However, since you mentioned budget restrictions, the G34 is probably enough gun at the right price for your stated goals.