• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What would you do?

Puddin99

Campaign Veteran
imported post

We, my family and I, were out and about last weekend. We made it out to the Deschutes River State Recreational area, just a couple miles west of Hwy 97 and I-84 (technically on 206 near Biggs). While we were there, I went to use the public restrooms and looked at their signage. Now, knowing that it is deamed a 'state park', I knew that there were no restrictions of having concealed or openly carried firearms. It specifically stated that under no circumstatnces that firearms were permitted on the premises. So knowing that the mere posession of firearms in a state park is not illegal and that the signage is incorrectly stated per OAR 736-010-0040,so should I write a letter, or is this pointless?

http://arcweb.sos.state.or.us/rules/OARS_700/OAR_736/736_010.html

(8) A person may not engage in the following activities in park areas:

(n) Discharging any firearm, bow and arrow, slingshot, pellet gun, or other weapon capable of injuring humans or wildlife or damaging property, except in those park area locations and for those purposes specified in OAR 736-010-0055(7);

Ken

Puddin99

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Right. Rules/laws only tell you what you can't do, not what you can. Hence if the rule/law says you can't discharge it, nothing states that you can't possess.

Orygunner

imported post

By all means, write the letter. Quote the correct law, as well as the preemption law, ask them when the signs will be updated to comply with state law and the rules, and see what kind of response you get.

They may already know the sign is incorrect, and they may just be really slow at getting the sign updated. (perhaps waiting for more rule changes before updating the sign?).

...Orygunner...