• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Nations Gun Show AAR

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Anybody get any good toys, I saw many comrades there, including LEO229 in full battle regalia.

LEO 229

imported post

longwatch wrote:
Anybody get any good toys, I saw many comrades there, including LEO229 in full battle regalia.
Damn!! I am one sexy man!

kle

imported post

longwatch wrote:
Anybody get any good toys
Picked up a rather beat-up-looking S&W 10-6 that cleaned up nicely with some Hoppes #9 and some fresh grips (#9 doesn't get rid of the 'character scratches', thankfully =). Also picked up a ton of CCI .22 Std.Vel. and some Georgia Arms .357 Magnum and .38 Special ammo. Finally, I found a good set of grips for one of my target pistols, and a GI-style grip safety for my 1911.

Next show, I'm probably going to pick up a couple holsters.

What's crazy, though, is the next show is in November--only two months away. I talked with Dusty of D&J Gun Repair and he said because of the 5-shots-a-year schedule, "they're going to kill the show", and I can see what he's talking about: this time there didn't seem to be that many people walking around, and all of the vendors were pretty much the same. Probably indicative of the general economy as much as people not having as much money saved up between shows, but the net effect is the same: fewer people walking around. Even the tables with the handguns (i.e. Trader Jerry, Dark Sun, etc.) didn't seem to have as many people fondling the guns as the past shows...

longwatch

imported post

Well there may have been 1 too many scheduled for this year, hopefully people won't be saying damn I should have bought before Obama won. Of course if that does happen hold onto your hat for the November show.

RedKnightt

imported post

longwatch wrote:
Anybody get any good toys.
I bought my first military surplus rifle, a 1943 Mosin Nagant 91/30. It had matching numbers on the bolt, magplate and receiver and came with the bayonet, accessory kit and 100 rounds of ammo. The best part was it didn't come covered in cosmoline.

Oh, and I finally joined the VCDL :p

The only downside was I bought a 3-day pass and planned to go back Saturday after going to the meetup lunch in Leesburg, and instead spent most of the day moving stuff out of our office at work, which was heavily water damaged following the fun with Hanna last weekend.

--RedKnightt--

Zombie Squad has it right: “We hold fast to the belief that if you are prepared for a scenario where the walking corpses of your family and neighbors are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for almost anything.”

nova

imported post

I made myself stay home from this show. I just sold a gun at a loss this weekend so I figured I'd wait 'till the next show before blowing my cash again. However I am putting some money down on a blued Security Six I'll be picking up in another month (paying some now in advance so the seller will hold the gun for me till I make it down to the other part of the state).

I do need more ammo though. I already went though all the GA Arms I bought at the July show.

longwatch

imported post

RedKnightt wrote:
longwatch wrote:
I bought my first military surplus rifle, a 1943 Mosin Nagant 91/30. It had matching numbers on the bolt, magplate and receiver and came with the bayonet, accessory kit and 100 rounds of ammo. The best part was it didn't come covered in cosmoline.

The only downside was I bought a 3-day pass and planned to go back Saturday after going to the meetup lunch in Leesburg, and instead spent most of the day moving stuff out of our office at work, which was heavily water damaged following the fun with Hanna last weekend.

--RedKnightt--

Zombie Squad has it right: “We hold fast to the belief that if you are prepared for a scenario where the walking corpses of your family and neighbors are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for almost anything.”
Nice, hey if you look closely you can see the blood of imperialist running dogs and the oppressed masses. Another cool thing about the MNs is that they have been used by both sides in a few conflicts and won each time. Seriously though, nice looking rifle and one of the great bargains available now.

nova

imported post

longwatch wrote:
RedKnightt wrote:
longwatch wrote:

--RedKnightt--

Nice, hey if you look closely you can see the blood of imperialist running dogs and the oppressed masses. Another cool thing about the MNs is that they have been used by both sides in a few conflicts and won each time. Seriously though, nice looking rifle and one of the great bargains available now.
I picked up an M44 for 94 bucks OTD last month out at the Winchester Gander Mtn... It is in great condition and came with all the goodies! :)

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I didn't buy anything, but this was the first time I had seen LEO229 in full regalia. I really like the pink! Made it worth the entry cost.

And I renewed my VCDL membership.

dyver1

imported post

Anybody get any goodtoys?

I picked up a used Sig Sauer 225. 9MM, 2 mags

DA/SA 8+1. Like the DA/SA with the decocking lever. Much more comforatble carrying it with one in the chamber then the SA I was carrying. It is also much smaller and lighter than the Highpoint I was carrying.

It showed some holster wear, but I field stripped it and cleaned it when I got home and it all appears to be in excellent condition. Have not taken it to the range yet, will try to get there next weekend and see how it fires.

Very pleased with the price I paid. The online sites like AIM surplus listed them at $269 to FFL holders, when they have them in stock. I only paid $289, so I think I did good

Also picked up a new retention paddle holster for it.

Show was busy, but not as busy as it has been in the past. The new every 2 month schedule, plus the down in the economy has people spending less, though Dark Sun Surplus who I bought this one from on Friday night seemd to be doing a pretty brisk business.

I did see something when I was at the Dark Sun table that I did not expect to see. A guy came up to purchase a gun and he did not have a drivers liscense. He had a VA issued state picture ID card and the other requisite 2nd ID with the same address on it and they refused to sell to him. They said that a state issued ID was not sufficient for them. Dark Sun rules required a Drivers Liscense. The potential buyer was pissed. He was muttering to himself and his friend as he walked off about not driving and not having a DL. What surprised me was that Dark Sun would turn away a sale. Guess all of the dealers are a little paranoid after the NYC lawsuits.

Overall a good show, though I bought a 3 day ticket on Friday because I planned to get back there before the weekend was out and never made it. :cuss:

Having custody of 4 kids meant that life and kids schedules took over. Oh well.

Be careful out there

Paul

zoom6zoom

imported post

It is also much smaller and lighter than the Highpoint I was carrying. It showed some holster wear, but I field stripped it and cleaned it when I got home and it all appears to be in excellent condition. Have not taken it to the range yet, will try to get there next weekend and see how it fires.
May I please recommend that if you haven't had it to the range yet... don't carry it! Live with your HP until you've confirmed that your new Sig functions properly.

cREbralFIX

imported post

I avoid that show unless I really need something. I like to look at the books; sometimes there's a new one that I need.

But, mostly, the prices are too high when you're paying $10+ to get in. I'd rather spend an extra $30 at Virginia Arms and have the support of the store.

longwatch

imported post

dyver1 wrote:
Show was busy, but not as busy as it has been in the past. The new every 2 month schedule, plus the down in the economy has people spending less, though Dark Sun Surplus who I bought this one from on Friday night seemd to be doing a pretty brisk business.

I did see something when I was at the Dark Sun table that I did not expect to see. A guy came up to purchase a gun and he did not have a drivers liscense. He had a VA issued state picture ID card and the other requisite 2nd ID with the same address on it and they refused to sell to him. They said that a state issued ID was not sufficient for them. Dark Sun rules required a Drivers Liscense. The potential buyer was pissed. He was muttering to himself and his friend as he walked off about not driving and not having a DL. What surprised me was that Dark Sun would turn away a sale. Guess all of the dealers are a little paranoid after the NYC lawsuits.
Well Bloomberg hit pretty close to home for them, the owner's father owned Patriot Services which was shut down in the face of a Bloomberg lawsuit.

Dealers can set any rules they want, the point of an FFL license isn't for selling guns, it is to make the FFL holder NOT sell guns to the wrong people. I've turned down many sales because I didn't feel they were right, or they lacked the proper IDs, etc. About 3-4 this last show. I had to explain what IDs were required to purchase a firearm at least 20 times and waited while folks dug through their wallet or went to their cars to get them. Also another incentive to avoid bad sales is that a denial may lead from a day in court where you make no money on the sale and in fact lose money in time lost off work, to jail time.

EFB16ACRX

imported post

I dont like dark sun anyways, ever since they threw a clipboard at me when I was trying to buy a gun. Picked up some small AR parts I needed. Andyone else notice the oddly large number of nazi/white supremicist asswipes there?

nova

imported post

Dark Sun can KMA. They've lost a sale to me twice because of mr ponytail man's attitude. Though last time I was there he no longer has a ponytail...the name just stuck.