• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Woman Kidnapped, Robbed, Murdered at Springfield Mall

IanB

imported post

eyesopened wrote:
Citizen wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
nakedshoplifter wrote:
We won't need to worry about Springfield Mall's crime problem for much longer:

Building Permit Number 82540156
I can't tell. Is this a permit to remove the mall for some other use like housing or just to remodel it?
With Naked, its even money its entirely satire. :)
Actually I heard the same rumour from one of my buddies who lives in Springfield. Check this out: http://www.springfieldtowncenter.com/
Eyesopened is correct. The mall will be torn down and a new structure(s) built in its place. I'd assume the same anti-protection policies will remain, so I won't be a customer there. But, that's a few years away.

Tomahawk

imported post

Where did you find that info naked? On the FFx Co website?

Just looking at the mall and the way businesses have been vacating it the last two years I figured it was only a matter of time, anyway. Whenever it rains there are buckets all over the place to catch the leaks, and I saw mice running around behind the furniture in JC Penny.

They want to make a "town center" style mall, which will no doubt have inadequate parlking and no-guns signs all over it.

ORCGUY

imported post

SoldierMedic wrote:
it will be interesting to see how Springfield Mall responds to this incident. I'm sure it will be met with more security patrols, more cameras, etc. I'm not holding my breath to see if they change their firearms policy though.

Shitfield mall will do what they've always done. Put every housekeeper, plumber, electriction, office secretary...into one of their unmarked little pick-up trucks with a yellow light on it and drive around the parking lot as an "increased presence" of security....while the media spotlight is on them, once again. Then, something new and exciting will happen somewhere else, and they'll go back to their, "we don't have crime here" mode. The worst thing that happended to them, was they contracted out security so Securitas, andgot rid of all the badass's that used to Thump those little gang bangers as soon as they entered the Mall. Those were the days.

DoubleR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Here is today's (9/16) follow-up story in the Washington Post. I've pasted the last 2 paragraphs, from the article, below. Just unbelievable. The whole thing makes me sick.

Fairfax police, although unable to provide statistics yesterday, said the mall was safe. "It's no more dangerous than any other place," said Capt. Erin Schaible, commander of the Franconia district station. She called the abduction "an anomaly -- it happened in the middle of the day." Fairfax police have officers stationed in all malls in the county.

The mall is owned by Vornado Realty Trust, one of the nation's largest property owners. Vornado issued a statement offering its condolences and noting that "the safety of our properties is our highest priority, and we are proactive and rigorous. . . . We assumed management of the Springfield Mall in January 2006, and since that time have significantly expanded and enhanced the property's security measures."

richarcm

imported post

DoubleR wrote:
Here is today's (9/16) follow-up story in the Washington Post. I've pasted the last 2 paragraphs, from the article, below. Just unbelievable. The whole thing makes me sick.

Fairfax police, although unable to provide statistics yesterday, said the mall was safe. "It's no more dangerous than any other place," said Capt. Erin Schaible, commander of the Franconia district station. She called the abduction "an anomaly -- it happened in the middle of the day." Fairfax police have officers stationed in all malls in the county.

The mall is owned by Vornado Realty Trust, one of the nation's largest property owners. Vornado issued a statement offering its condolences and noting that "the safety of our properties is our highest priority, and we are proactive and rigorous. . . . We assumed management of the Springfield Mall in January 2006, and since that time have significantly expanded and enhanced the property's security measures."
Yeah they are safe. When you compare them to PG county or something. I don't know of many malls where people are stabbed or shot quite like Springfield. Has Landmark ever had the same problems??? It serves a similar demographic....

Well you know at least that Springfield received plenty of emails from this group. ;)

possumboy

imported post

I posted a while back about an encounter I had (cannot find it in the search).

Short story:

We were leaving where the movies used to be and a group of "kids" were standing around the door.

About 3 or 4 broke off from the group and started following us.

When I lifted my shirt to retrieve my keys, they saw my gun and turned and ran back into the mall. As they passed the others, they started running into the mall also.

------------

This story does not surprise me.

Lysander

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Where did you find that info naked? On the FFx Co website?

Just looking at the mall and the way businesses have been vacating it the last two years I figured it was only a matter of time, anyway. Whenever it rains there are buckets all over the place to catch the leaks, and I saw mice running around behind the furniture in JC Penny.

They want to make a "town center" style mall, which will no doubt have inadequate parlking and no-guns signs all over it.
It's in the Fairfax County Permit Database Online. Valid Permit.

On the other hand, they need to get off their rear ends:

Fee Fees Failed
Fee PERMIT FEE ($225.00) Unpaid