• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man who threatened to behead women will lose his eye, police say

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Dayum, never underestimate a firearms utility as a high tech club.

ETA: I love Fark.com headlines.

Protip: If you want to go out and behead some Christians with a knife, pick one who won't hit you in the face so hard you lose an eye

http://www.gazette.com/articles/police_40541___article.html/bowman_women.html

Man who threatened to behead women will lose his eye, police say

September 13, 2008 - 10:52PM THE GAZETTE A man who threatened to behead two women because they were Christians was attacked in self-defense early Saturday and injured so severely, police say, that his eye was to be removed.

Russell Bowman, who called himself an atheist, showed up with a large knife at the women's apartment in the 700 block of Tia Juana Street about 3:15 a.m., police said.

Another resident grabbed a shotgun and ordered him to put the knife down. When Bowman refused and began approaching, the person hit him with the butt end of the weapon, police said.

Doctors at Memorial Hospital reportedly told police the eye would have to be removed.

Bowman, who lived in the same building, threatened the women a couple of days before the confrontation, Colorado Springs Police Lt. Pat Rigdon said. Alcohol appeared to play a role, he said.

Police will likely pursue charges of felony menacing against Bowman. The investigation will be forwarded to the 4th Judicial District Attorney's Office to see if other charges are merited.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

http://www.krdo.com/Global/story.asp?S=9001118COLORADO SPRINGS - A man is now facing charges of Felony Menacing after police say he threatened to cut off the heads of two women because they were Christians.
The encounter happened at 711 Tia Juana around three o'clock in the morning Friday. Police say Russell Bowman, who claims to be an atheist, had made the threat on September 8[sup]th[/sup].
Police say Bowman made his way to the females' apartment with a knife Friday. A local neighbor approached Bowman with a shotgun in the women's defense, according to police reports. When Bowman refused to drop his weapon, the neighbor hit him with the butt-end of the shotgun. Bowman suffered serious injury to his eye and was transported to Memorial Hospital. Doctors determined the damage to the eye was so severe that it needed to be surgically removed.
The District Attorney's Office will determine if any additional charges beyond Felony Menacing are appropriate for Bowman.

ETA Police Blotter.
http://www.springsgov.com/units/police/policeblotter.asp
[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Officers responded to 711 Tia Juana to investigate a disturbance. The investigation revealed that on or about Sept. 8th Russell Bowman, who claims to be an atheist, had threatened to cut the heads off of two females because they were Christians. On September 12th Bowman arrived at the females’ apartment with a knife and stood in the hallway. Another resident of the apartment retrieved a shotgun and approached Bowman who was by then walking away. The resident ordered Bowman to put the knife down. When Bowman refused and approached the resident, Bowman was struck with the butt-end of the shotgun causing an injury to Bowman’s eye. Bowman was treated at Memorial Hospital where it was determined the injury to the eye was so severe, the eye would need to be surgically removed. Mr. Bowman will be arrested for Felony Menacing. The case will be presented to the District Attorney’s Office to determine if any additional charges are appropriate.[/font]

forever_frost

imported post

Ummm.....shouldn't he also be charged with attempted hate crime? I know if it was any other religion he would be so..just something to think on.

Oh, and I thought anyone with a firearm would shoot first and to hell with the consequences....:quirky

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Alas, he probably had to worry about the shot that went around said
target stop. If he was to close to the door, and didn't want to spray the
neighbors. Just a shame both eyes couldn't have been taken care of.
Then he would be rendered harmless. Although it might make solitary
confinement in prison les useful as a punishment.

Evil Ernie

imported post

Boy, you gotta love self defense in Colorado Springs!!!!

I remember something my drill sergeant said to me once:
"BUTTSTROKE TO THE HEAD.........MOVE!!!!!!!!!!!"
:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

See ya later Mr. Orbital!!!! HA! Thats funny right there....

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Yepper! 'Bet'cha it was his left eye... if the shotgun dude was right handed.

'Step...Rotate... "WHAP"! :shock:

imperialism2024

imported post

I'm guessing the Brady bunch will be counting this as another incident of "gun violence"...

:?

Good going for the women who acted in self-defense. And a +1 for exercising a great deal of restraint.

forever_frost

imported post

Evil Ernie wrote:
Boy, you gotta love self defense in Colorado Springs!!!!

I remember something my drill sergeant said to me once:
"BUTTSTROKE TO THE HEAD.........MOVE!!!!!!!!!!!"
:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

See ya later Mr. Orbital!!!! HA! Thats funny right there....
I never thought I'd actually use that training but..... you're right!

Evil Ernie

imported post

I wonder if it was a "Sgt. Elias Special" or if it was a real buttstroke smash...

I truly admire this guys restraint. The slapnut (sans eye) definitely deserved a healthy load of buckshot.

compmanio365

imported post

Sad thing is the guy with the shotgun will now probably be sued for everything he's worth by this piece of dirt, and the guy's life will be ruined......hate to say it, but it would have been easier if he'd just pulled the trigger.

Good for him to show restraint, I understand the lack of desire to take a life, but now this guy will most likely be ruined for the rest of his life trying to defend himself against civil action.........too sad.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
Sad thing is the guy with the shotgun will now probably be sued for everything he's worth by this piece of dirt, and the guy's life will be ruined......hate to say it, but it would have been easier if he'd just pulled the trigger.

Good for him to show restraint, I understand the lack of desire to take a life, but now this guy will most likely be ruined for the rest of his life trying to defend himself against civil action.........too sad.

Well, couldn't the shotgun swinger file a counter suit against the nut job? I expect that their may have been plood spatter on the butt of that shotgun, and then there's the emotional stress of being forced to risk serious damage to the beautiful weapon when nit made contact with the idiots head.

I'm with gxs, being an Atheist doesn't have crap to do with what this guy did. He was just plain crazy. Christians get that way too sometimes. :)