Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 75

Thread: Big 5 Mosin Nagants $69

  1. #1
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Olympia, WA, ,
    Posts
    3,201

    Post imported post

    Right now Big 5 is selling Mosin Nagant 91/30's for $69 each. Now is a great time to buy one of these if you have ever wanted one.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Moses Lake, Washington, USA
    Posts
    172

    Post imported post

    Damn, I wish I had a place to put one.

  3. #3
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Olympia, WA, ,
    Posts
    3,201

    Post imported post

    colt45ws wrote:
    Damn, I wish I had a place to put one.
    Dude I live on a 23' sailboat and I have a place for one, and had to make a major effort not to buy another.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pullman, Washington, USA
    Posts
    78

    Post imported post

    Is this a specific store?

  5. #5
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Olympia, WA, ,
    Posts
    3,201

    Post imported post

    All of them. It was their flyer this morning. If I hadn't just paid off a Finn M39 I would have picked up another 91/30. But that was the reason I sold my M44, I don't NEED THREE DANG MOSINS!

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pullman, Washington, USA
    Posts
    78

    Post imported post

    Well its my birthday this week so maybe, just maybe, I will get one =]

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,327

    Post imported post

    I don't NEED THREE DANG MOSINS!
    Uhh, what about for when the zombies attack your boat?

  8. #8
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Olympia, WA, ,
    Posts
    3,201

    Post imported post

    kparker wrote:
    I don't NEED THREE DANG MOSINS!
    Uhh, what about for when the zombies attack your boat?
    Mosin Nagant 91/30
    Mosin Nagatn M39*
    Russian SKS
    Ruger Security Six
    Kel Tec P32
    Dutch M95 Mannlicher
    Ruger 10/22 with folding stock and red dot sight
    NEF 12 guage single shot*
    FLARES!!!!

    *Not currently in inventory but arriving soon.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Union, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,256

    Post imported post

    sv_libertarian wrote:
    kparker wrote:
    I don't NEED THREE DANG MOSINS!
    Uhh, what about for when the zombies attack your boat?
    Mosin Nagant 91/30
    Mosin Nagatn M39*
    Russian SKS
    Ruger Security Six
    Kel Tec P32
    Dutch M95 Mannlicher
    Ruger 10/22 with folding stock and red dot sight
    NEF 12 guage single shot*
    FLARES!!!!

    *Not currently in inventory but arriving soon.
    On top of all the hardware Steve is a closet Greener and tree hugger, his coming soon avatar, Which any self respecting zombie would leave alone because they areboth brain dead already.

  10. #10
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Olympia, WA, ,
    Posts
    3,201

    Post imported post

    Bear 45/70 wrote:
    On top of all the hardware Steve is a closet Greener and tree hugger, his coming soon avatar, Which any self respecting zombie would leave alone because they areboth brain dead already.
    So I was working yesterday and met a woman from Arizona who made a wisecrack about not wanting a newspaper because she was from out of town and that the waste of paper would just make "You guys from Washington mad" A minute later I had established that she also carried a .357 and she left believing that not all of Washington is full of crazy tree huggers.

    I did warn her off from Union though, as the hot air that comes from that area really messes with the natural weather patterns.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Spokane, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,268

    Post imported post

    On Topic: The last 3 times I saw the Nagants on sale from Big 5 for under 90 each, neither of the two stores in Spokane had ANY. The advertisement is run nationally and if they don't have any in stock at your location... Well tough luck...

    Off Topic: To be fair to the lady from AZ... We do have a lot of in WA...

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    149

    Post imported post

    sv_libertarian wrote:
    Bear 45/70 wrote:
    On top of all the hardware Steve is a closet Greener and tree hugger, his coming soon avatar, Which any self respecting zombie would leave alone because they areboth brain dead already.
    So I was working yesterday and met a woman from Arizona who made a wisecrack about not wanting a newspaper because she was from out of town and that the waste of paper would just make "You guys from Washington mad" A minute later I had established that she also carried a .357 and she left believing that not all of Washington is full of crazy tree huggers.

    I did warn her off from Union though, as the hot air that comes from that area really messes with the natural weather patterns.
    Not only that, but Bear has a private snow storm in the shade under his gut every afternoon at 1630:what:

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Union, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,256

    Post imported post

    BlaineG wrote:
    sv_libertarian wrote:
    Bear 45/70 wrote:
    On top of all the hardware Steve is a closet Greener and tree hugger, his coming soon avatar, Which any self respecting zombie would leave alone because they areboth brain dead already.
    So I was working yesterday and met a woman from Arizona who made a wisecrack about not wanting a newspaper because she was from out of town and that the waste of paper would just make "You guys from Washington mad" A minute later I had established that she also carried a .357 and she left believing that not all of Washington is full of crazy tree huggers.

    I did warn her off from Union though, as the hot air that comes from that area really messes with the natural weather patterns.
    Not only that, but Bear has a private snow storm in the shade under his gut every afternoon at 1630:what:
    Thefat Pot calling the Kettle black!:P Then there isthe Greener/Tree Hugger wannabee, hippie living on a boat no less, talkin' down to me? Would you like you other nick name to come out, boat boy?

  14. #14
    Opt-Out Members
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Kitsap & Whatcom Counties, Washington, USA
    Posts
    64

    Post imported post

    I just stopped at big 5. They don't have the unlaminated (but still good condition) M91/30 rifles on display, but only the $209 CAI replicas with lamination. Ask for the unlaminated ones though, and they have LOTS in back. I'm getting one in the next couple days; my M44 trigger broke this summer and I have more money invested in ammo than in the gun itself. While its on my mind, anyone know how much it would be to replace the trigger on the M44? I wouldn't know how to do it myself. I'm thinking it's cheaper just to buy that M91/30.

  15. #15
    Regular Member just_a_car's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Auburn, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,558

    Post imported post

    They're not super-cheap by any means (in other words, the value of another Mosin), but they're a good replacement trigger: Huber roller-ball triggers.
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Union, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,256

    Post imported post

    carhark wrote:
    I just stopped at big 5. They don't have the unlaminated (but still good condition) M91/30 rifles on display, but only the $209 CAI replicas with lamination. Ask for the unlaminated ones though, and they have LOTS in back. I'm getting one in the next couple days; my M44 trigger broke this summer and I have more money invested in ammo than in the gun itself. While its on my mind, anyone know how much it would be to replace the trigger on the M44? I wouldn't know how to do it myself. I'm thinking it's cheaper just to buy that M91/30.
    Well the trigger is only $8.65 plus shipping from e-gun parts. This isn't rocket science and shouldn't be all that hard to do yourself.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Spokane, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,268

    Post imported post

    Well after being on hold for 20 minutes, found out the local big 5 does have some in stock. Going to go by after work. If they have anything in decent shape with some matching #'s, I will take it home tonight. If they have more than 1, well payday is wednesday and I might be picking up a couple. $76 after tax is a pretty darn good price today.

  18. #18
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Olympia, WA, ,
    Posts
    3,201

    Post imported post

    The laminated ones are not replicas. They are Russian rebuilds.

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,327

    Post imported post

    The laminated ones are not replicas. They are Russian rebuilds.
    Correct, and CAI is probably the importer of all of them.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Spokane, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,268

    Post imported post

    Just got home from purchasing a new to me 91/30. Have to say I was impressed with the selection. Looked at 4 of 20 some odd in stock. All 4 had matching numbers and were in really good shape.

    Had to take home the 4th after seeing it. Stock is in beautiful condition (should look better without the cosmoline). Made in 1942 with pre WWII furniture. The kicker is the barrel. This thing is in very excellent condition, looks unfired.

    Can't wait to get it cleaned up and to the range. As to the 16 some odd 91/30s I didn't look at. I will be going back wednesday after getting my paycheck and picking up another 1 or 2 to become safe queens... One day, who knows... Resold or given to a kid. They are peices of history.

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    , Washington, USA
    Posts
    162

    Post imported post

    They have one at the lakewood store. As of 1630.

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Spokane, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,268

    Post imported post

    For anyone who has gotten a 91/30 before.

    In your 91/30 accessory kit, the little metal container meant to hold oil/lubricant. Has yours been FULL of cosmoline? Mine leaked all over the inside of the accesory bag and on the ammo pouch and sling, but still is half full of cosmoline... Pretty messy clean up for the accessories...

    Still going to pick up another 1 or two in couple days if they are still in stock.

    (sorry for miss spellings if any, is halftime and 12 pack is gone, time for a B double E double R U N beerrun... Who can drive?)

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pullman, Washington, USA
    Posts
    78

    Post imported post

    What am I looking for when picking out a Mosin? And, where would I be looking at for the matching numbers?


  24. #24
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Olympia, WA, ,
    Posts
    3,201

    Post imported post

    first off you are looking for a good bore, nice and shiny. Then matching numbers on the bolt body and chamber. Matching numbers on the buttplate and mag floor plate are a plus. Then you are looking for outward condition.

    As a plus, you can identify an ex sniper by looking inside the action on the left hand side. If you see plugged screw holes, you have a sniper rifle that was converted back to infantry use either because the tolerances were no longer present for a sniper rifle, or because they had too many of them in stock.

    A Tula made action (identified by a large star on the rifle) is considered more desireable. Pre WWII rifles have better quality machining that wartime rifles, but both are very well made guns. A hex reciever is more desireable than a rounded reciever.

    So the generally speaking the best (if you could find it) would be a Tula hex receiver ex sniper with matching numbers and a nice shiny bore with strong rifling.

    Of course there is other esoterica out there that would be even better than that...

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pullman, Washington, USA
    Posts
    78

    Post imported post

    sv_libertarian wrote:
    first off you are looking for a good bore, nice and shiny. Then matching numbers on the bolt body and chamber. Matching numbers on the buttplate and mag floor plate are a plus. Then you are looking for outward condition.

    As a plus, you can identify an ex sniper by looking inside the action on the left hand side. If you see plugged screw holes, you have a sniper rifle that was converted back to infantry use either because the tolerances were no longer present for a sniper rifle, or because they had too many of them in stock.

    A Tula made action (identified by a large star on the rifle) is considered more desireable. Pre WWII rifles have better quality machining that wartime rifles, but both are very well made guns. A hex reciever is more desireable than a rounded reciever.

    So the absolute best (if you could find it) would be a Tula hex receiver ex sniper with matching numbers and a nice shiny bore with strong rifling.
    Thanks, I am going to go check my local big 5 tomorrow morning.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •