• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Big 5 Mosin Nagants $69

David.Car

imported post

For anyone who has gotten a 91/30 before.

In your 91/30 accessory kit, the little metal container meant to hold oil/lubricant. Has yours been FULL of cosmoline? Mine leaked all over the inside of the accesory bag and on the ammo pouch and sling, but still is half full of cosmoline... Pretty messy clean up for the accessories...

Still going to pick up another 1 or two in couple days if they are still in stock.

(sorry for miss spellings if any, is halftime and 12 pack is gone, time for a B double E double R U N beerrun... Who can drive?)

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

first off you are looking for a good bore, nice and shiny. Then matching numbers on the bolt body and chamber. Matching numbers on the buttplate and mag floor plate are a plus. Then you are looking for outward condition.

As a plus, you can identify an ex sniper by looking inside the action on the left hand side. If you see plugged screw holes, you have a sniper rifle that was converted back to infantry use either because the tolerances were no longer present for a sniper rifle, or because they had too many of them in stock.

A Tula made action (identified by a large star on the rifle) is considered more desireable. Pre WWII rifles have better quality machining that wartime rifles, but both are very well made guns. A hex reciever is more desireable than a rounded reciever.

So the generally speaking the best (if you could find it) would be a Tula hex receiver ex sniper with matching numbers and a nice shiny bore with strong rifling.

Of course there is other esoterica out there that would be even better than that...

computerizedfish

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
first off you are looking for a good bore, nice and shiny. Then matching numbers on the bolt body and chamber. Matching numbers on the buttplate and mag floor plate are a plus. Then you are looking for outward condition.

As a plus, you can identify an ex sniper by looking inside the action on the left hand side. If you see plugged screw holes, you have a sniper rifle that was converted back to infantry use either because the tolerances were no longer present for a sniper rifle, or because they had too many of them in stock.

A Tula made action (identified by a large star on the rifle) is considered more desireable. Pre WWII rifles have better quality machining that wartime rifles, but both are very well made guns. A hex reciever is more desireable than a rounded reciever.

So the absolute best (if you could find it) would be a Tula hex receiver ex sniper with matching numbers and a nice shiny bore with strong rifling.
Thanks, I am going to go check my local big 5 tomorrow morning.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

computerizedfish wrote:
What about price of the ammunition? Do local retailers have it or do you need to by bulk military surplus?
Check with Mary's Pistols in Tacoma (Dan & Mary) on Tyler. My last purchase was 880 rounds for $175 w/tax. He does sell it in smaller lots. Ask for some blanks as well, they work well at the pit when the dirt bike rider think they can take over. Dan can give you lots of info on your Nagant as well.

You can buy it at Sportsmans & Cabela's but it gets a little spendy.

madcapmag

imported post

I stopped by the local Big 5 and they had 1. The guy said the barrel was countersunk about 4 inches from the top. Good? Bad? Safe to shoot? I have no idea what countersinking does, if anyone can enlighten me.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

madcapmag wrote:
I stopped by the local Big 5 and they had 1. The guy said the barrel was countersunk about 4 inches from the top. Good? Bad? Safe to shoot? I have no idea what countersinking does, if anyone can enlighten me.
Safe to shoot, they counterboring was done to replace damaged rifling.

Personally I would ask for a rain check and wait for a new shipment.

David.Car

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
madcapmag wrote:

Seconded.

As for the information on what to pick up, the advice was very good. I wish I could find a decently priced hex receiver. Big 5 does sales on the 91/30's rather frequently. The manager I was talking to yesterday said that in the 10 years he has worked there they have received 3 with hex receivers and he bought them all before they hit the shelf.

Bear 45/70

imported post

David.Car wrote:
As for the information on what to pick up, the advice was very good. I wish I could find a decently priced hex receiver. Big 5 does sales on the 91/30's rather frequently. The manager I was talking to yesterday said that in the 10 years he has worked there they have received 3 with hex receivers and he bought them all before they hit the shelf.
Insider information and first shot before the customer knows, always gets the goodies.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

David.Car wrote:
sv_libertarian wrote:
madcapmag wrote:

Seconded.

Have a local dealer order you one from J&G sales, and have them see about what handpick options are available. http://www.jgsales.com

David.Car

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
David.Car wrote:
Seconded.

Have a local dealer order you one from J&G sales, and have them see about what handpick options are available. http://www.jgsales.com
While they have good prices on that site. After using the hand selected fees, shipping, and FFL transfer it comes out to more than what I want to pay for a collectible style rifle that I can't inspect first...

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

David.Car wrote:
While they have good prices on that site. After using the hand selected fees, shipping, and FFL transfer it comes out to more than what I want to pay for a collectible style rifle that I can't inspect first...
Well they do have a good reputation and a solid return policy. If you communicate to them ahead of time what you want they will take care of you.

It all boils down to how badly you want the hex receiver. Or you could do what I did, which was buy a Finn M39 on gunbroker, which will have the hex receiver AND will be probably the sweetest shooting mosin nagant you've ever owned.

Or get a Curio and Relics FFL

carhark

Opt-Out Members
Kitsap & Whatcom Counties, Washington, USA
imported post

That's good to know about the laminated ones. The clerk must be misinformed, he was the one who told me the more expensive ones were replicas. I went back last night and picked one of the sale ones up. Great condition 1942 and all the serial number match, except the one on the bayonet. I called up and asked, they told me it's not important and there is no way to fix it. I think they're only half right...

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Ajetpilot wrote:
I got mine! They said they had a few more in back, but I was happy with the one they had on display. Nice! Gig Harbor store.
And of course you have pictures and the arsenal/year of manufacture to share with us all?:D

David.Car

imported post

Tonight I begin the clean up on the 1942 Tula I picked up. I will be sure to do some before photos and post them up, than update it after this weekend when hopefully it will be completely refinished. Now... Start the mantra... cosmoline is our friend, it protects the rifle...

Ajetpilot

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
And of course you have pictures and the arsenal/year of manufacture to share with us all?:D

Ans: Izhevsk/1943 (Triangle with upright arrow). What I have looked at so far is pretty clean. Today, I'm going to learn how to disassemble it, and I'll see how much cosmoline is hidden internally. I may have some work to do there. The Plastic bag of goodies that came with it has lots of the gooey stuff, and I haven't opened it yet.

Now, I've got to find some 7.62x54R ammo by Friday,then head for the range. Here is a picture: