• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Which XD

yankees98a

imported post

Very new, looking for something I can grow with..

How is the XD 9mms maybe the Heinie Tritum Slant?

or the XD(M)?

other choice is Sig 229

Dustin

imported post

XDM All Day !

Here's my topic that started out like this one, Which pistol to buy.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum5/11794.html

9 pages later,FOUR of us purchased the XDM. And have had nothing but GREAT things to say about it.

BTW it comes in .40 S&W ONLY, until next year's release of 9mm & .45 ACP.

Also comes in OD Green bottom. http://www.the-m-factor.com/home.html

Remember, with an XDM, you also get Springfield's Legendary Customer Service for the LIFE of the Gun.

SIG's are damn fine weapons too, It's just not what I wanted.

David.Car

imported post

Dustin wrote:
This is key. I suggest sigs all the time, but the only thing that really matters is what works for you.

Get to a range that rents out firearms and try them all.

It is no good to buy a firearm you have never held or fired and than you get to the range and after 100 rounds you are wishing you had gotten something else.

Dustin

imported post

David.Car wrote:
Dustin wrote:
This is key. I suggest sigs all the time, but the only thing that really matters is what works for you.

Get to a range that rents out firearms and try them all.

It is no good to buy a firearm you have never held or fired and than you get to the range and after 100 rounds you are wishing you had gotten something else.

No Doubt, I know two friends who have done this.

One bought a SW MP, the other a SW Sigma.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The entire XD series are nice shooting, durable, low maintenance firearms. I have shot nearly all of the offerings excepting the XD(M) and a few others. The entire Sig P-series are excellent shooting, wonderful firearms, however I question that they can take the abuse and neglect that the XDs can. Which is better depends on how and where you intend to carry and use it. I have both, enjoy both, carry both.

For a day to day regular life sidearm, if I had to pick between the XD and Sig, I would lean towards a Sig P226 or P229. I plan on getting one of each in .40 as my fiancee has hijacked and claimed my P228. I have shot the P220, P226, P228 and P229 and enjoy everyone immensely. I have a marked preference for the Sig DA/SA triggers.

I tend to be a little more accurate with the Sigs than the XDs and I think they look a little sharper depending on exact model, although the XD(M) bi-tone is pretty darn good looking (see Dustin's picture of his in another thread). I do slightly prefer my XD45 to the P220.

For SHTF, bug-out, survivalist, here comes the hurricane or earthquake sidearm my XD is the first thing I will grab. Even the factory says they can be cleaned by soaking in Simple Green, rinse, lube with motor oil and assemble. Like the Glocks, they will take a lot of abuse and neglect in adverse conditions and keep working.

I will say my normal spiel about buying a handgun:

IMO it is a very personal decision depending on where, how you will carry and use it, how it fits your hand, how naturally the sights align for you, how well the controls (mag release, slide stop, etc) fit your hand, what calibers you are comfortable with and shoot well, what calibers you can afford to practice with, your budget in general, mag capacity you want, availability of accessories you desire, etc.

In other words, if you pick up a $150 Hi Point and can put 10 rounds through bullseye at 7 yards and with the $1000 1911 you are lucky to hit the broad side of a barn from the inside, go with the Hi Point, at least for now. You are the one who has to carry it, practice with it, maintain it and it is your and your loved ones butts it may keep alive one day. What matters more than anything is that it is a good fit for you and you can shoot it well.