• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry LE involved "incident" Beaverton Shell Station Cornell/158th/26

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Ms. Ray,

My name is Lonnie Wilson, and I was forwarded this email from DenWin (name redacted). My apologies for contacting you out of the blue, but the statement needed an immediate correction.

In January of 2007, I met with Deputy City Attorney Bill Kirby in person. We had discussed the law specifically as applicable to public buildings, and we had came to the conclusion that those who are licensed under ORS 166.291 are exempt from the law. As a courtesy, I am CC'ing him the email as well as to Captain Tim Roberts, who was my contact at the Beaverton PD on this issue.

Here is the law on this subject:

Definition of public building and court facility:

(4) “Public building” means a hospital, a capitol building, a public or private school, as defined in ORS 339.315, a college or university, a city hall or the residence of any state official elected by the state at large, and the grounds adjacent to each such building. The term also includes that portion of any other building occupied by an agency of the state or a municipal corporation, as defined in ORS 297.405, other than a court facility.

(2) “Court facility” means a courthouse or that portion of any other building occupied by a circuit court, the Court of Appeals, the Supreme Court or the Oregon Tax Court or occupied by personnel related to the operations of those courts, or in which activities related to the operations of those courts take place.

166.370 Possession of firearm or dangerous weapon in public building or court facility; exceptions; discharging firearm at school. (1) Any person who intentionally possesses a loaded or unloaded firearm or any other instrument used as a dangerous weapon, while in or on a public building, shall upon conviction be guilty of a Class C felony.

Subsection 3, contains exemptions for certain persons. Let's go into the exemptions:

(3) Subsection (1) of this section does not apply to:

(a) A sheriff, police officer, other duly appointed peace officers or a corrections officer while acting within the scope of employment.

(b) A person summoned by a peace officer to assist in making an arrest or preserving the peace, while the summoned person is engaged in assisting the officer.

(c) An active or reserve member of the military forces of this state or the United States, when engaged in the performance of duty.

(d) A person who is licensed under ORS 166.291 and 166.292 to carry a concealed handgun.

(e) A person who is authorized by the officer or agency that controls the public building to possess a firearm or dangerous weapon in that public building.

Subsection 2, which deals with carrying a loaded or unloaded firearms in court facilities, are NOT exempt via concealed handgun license. Public buildings, however, are exempted by CHL. I also point out that under Oregon law, "courts" insofar as the state weapons prohibition does NOT include the city courthouse or courtroom. A city judge MIGHT (again, I emphasize might because I don't have good understanding of a city judge's power) have the ability to prohibit weapons in his courtroom under the provisions of contempt, but such prohibitions MUST be limited to his courtroom and cannot be used as a wedge to ban the possession of all firearms throughout the public building where his courtroom is housed.

Federal buildings (such as social security offices) and federal courts are addressed in
Title 18, United States Code, Section 930. Nearly all persons who carry guns lawfully (those with CHL's since they are required to carry loaded in the City of Beaverton)
are very aware of these federal restrictions. Those laws are enforced by the United States Marshals and the Federal Protective Service (FPS) as well as the armed security officers that patrol those buildings.

Bill Kirby and Captain Roberts distributed both a public building training bulletin and loaded carry in public places training bulletin last year. I would suggest emailing Mr. Kirby or Captain Roberts for a copy, so that way misinformation like this doesn't spread around again.

Regards,

Lonnie Wilson

DenWin

imported post

Looks good, Lonnie. I never knew that in Beaverton having a CHL required me to carry loaded, but what would be the point of having a CHL if you didn't? In any case, nice work. Looks like you've done this before :D

Phssthpok

imported post

Maybe it's just me, but I'm still unclear as to how the police even got a hold of the FIRST number they called.:uhoh:

lukeshort

imported post

I would like to be told what prompted the call for MWAG. A holstered weapon is pretty inert and is hardly concern for even bothering to dial a phone. Was it the gas station proprietor, employee or just an overly concerned citizen? If it was the station owners intent to get a dig in at lawfully carried weapons I will not buy gas there again, even if it is the cheapest.

Also, if more info as to how they got any contact information can be detailed. I would like to hear it. A simple record search of license plates and cold calling on the part of the R/Officer got him to your cell phone? And after knowing that a crime had not been committed, he still took it upon himself to give you a ring? Nice guy, is he running for office or somthing? That is some over the top police work right there.

It is a plus the officer took it so well, but sounds like it would have been a bit different had you still been on scene when EIGHT cruisers showed up for a MWAG response. I don’t get the stigma of MWAG, unless it has been used in a manner threatening or being waved around in public. Otherwise the law say’s one can carry openly. So why such a big over reaction by police when these calls come in? Can’t a threat assessment be done with the dispatcher to limit the fear for these LEO’s and tickets for false reports to offset the waste of time for responding to frivolous calls.

I find many of the police in Beaverton to be pretty good Joes. I often wondered what the reaction would be among LEO’s here with this sort of incident. I guess I have my answer now. I am glad it went as smooth as it did for you.

CharlesAFerg

Portland/Beaverton/Hillsboro, Oregon, USA
imported post

Phssthpok wrote:
Maybe it's just me, but I'm still unclear as to how the police even got a hold of the FIRST number they called.:uhoh:
Well see you've got it right, the poster below you hasn't got it yet.

I said that they called another number first.
Also, the number was restricted, so I didn't pick up the first time. Reason being is that for one, only one of my friends uses this on a regualr basis, and it's quite annoying. I shouldn't even pick up. So I thought it was my friend, and I was in the middle of a conversation already. Anyways, I noticed that he left a voicemail, so I called the non emergency number and requested he call back on my cell phone again.

Anyways, I wondered how society has gotten this way as to you carry and even the police assume you're a criminal. Of all people, those law enforcement officials who are quite gun friendly from what I've found, still feel like I'm the bad guy from the get go.

Like I said though, he was great to talk to - but the response (amount of police units that supposedly showed up) should be the true judge of this situation.

Phssthpok

imported post

To be more specific on my confusion:

According to your recounting of the story, you stopped at a gas station to top off your tank as you were on your way out to Mt. Hood. There was no mention of personally knowing anyone at said gas station, nor of stopping at any other place.

Next thing you mention was being en route (read, driving on the road) and your phone ringing with a call from the cops.

How did they know
WHO to call? Where did they gain access to the first number, especially since it was 'restricted' as you say? There seems to be a missing link somewhere, and I'm not sure if it's just me not making the connection, or if there is some information intentionally left out for privacy's sake, or what.

This is not to say I'm tempted to raise the B.S. flag or anything.....it just seems a bit TOO Orwellian for the cops to know how to contact someone who isn't there anymore based on the bleating of some hoplophobic bliss-ninny's bleating of "MWAG!!!".

DenWin

imported post

Phssthpok wrote:
To be more specific on my confusion:

According to your recounting of the story, you stopped at a gas station to top off your tank as you were on your way out to Mt. Hood. There was no mention of personally knowing anyone at said gas station, nor of stopping at any other place.

Next thing you mention was being en route (read, driving on the road) and your phone ringing with a call from the cops.

How did they know
WHO to call? Where did they gain access to the first number, especially since it was 'restricted' as you say? There seems to be a missing link somewhere, and I'm not sure if it's just me not making the connection, or if there is some information intentionally left out for privacy's sake, or what.

This is not to say I'm tempted to raise the B.S. flag or anything.....it just seems a bit TOO Orwellian for the cops to know how to contact someone who isn't there anymore based on the bleating of some hoplophobic bliss-ninny's bleating of "MWAG!!!".
I believe what he is saying is that the number CALLING him was restricted, not that his number was restricted. When they called him, his phone said RESTRICTED instead of giving the number that was calling him. Is that right?

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Possibility: The Oregon Tag plates. If they had the plate number, they can drill down and search through ODOT records, and if he put his cellphone number down as a contact number, they could have contacted him that way.

CharlesAFerg

imported post

Lonnie Wilson wrote:
Possibility: The Oregon Tag plates. If they had the plate number, they can drill down and search through ODOT records, and if he put his cellphone number down as a contact number, they could have contacted him that way.
See, wouldn't they only be allowed to do that if I actually ROBBED the gas station and were able to search deeper with some kind of warrant?

I'm not familiar with this.
So, if they see some cutie in a jetta cruising down the road and he gets her plates, that officer can get her number by doing an odot search?
Seriously though, I didn't do anything wrong - even after speaking with the station attendants I'm sure they figured out that I didn't attempt to rob the place, and just paid with a $100 bill...

Anyways, I was at the gas station and no I don't know anybody there, then left without incident.

While I was on the road, I received a call from a restricted number. My associate gave the officer the number when they called the first original number, which doesn't route to my cell phone.

DenWin

imported post

CharlesAFerg wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:
One more reason not to carry cell phones.
Well, I couldn't go so far as to say that - but until the US decides to go with what the rest of the world does with pre-paid untraceable (harder to trace, I should say...) phones - I won't be as happy as I could be.
Trust me, they aren't untraceable, and it's easy if you have their SMS number (okay, as long as you have the right equipment):dude:

CharlesAFerg

imported post

DenWin wrote:
CharlesAFerg wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:
One more reason not to carry cell phones.
Well, I couldn't go so far as to say that - but until the US decides to go with what the rest of the world does with pre-paid untraceable (harder to trace, I should say...) phones - I won't be as happy as I could be.
Trust me, they aren't untraceable, and it's easy if you have their SMS number (okay, as long as you have the right equipment):dude:
Looks like I won't be using my cell to call you.
Ever.

...It's a trap.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNLuq0lW50k

Phssthpok

imported post

CharlesAFerg wrote:
Anyways, I was at the gas station and no I don't know anybody there, then left without incident.

While I was on the road, I received a call from a restricted number. My associate gave the officer the number when they called the first original number, which doesn't route to my cell phone.

WHERE DID THE COPS GET THIS NUMBER?:banghead:

I don't mean to yell...I'm just VERY confused.

CharlesAFerg

imported post

Phssthpok wrote:
CharlesAFerg wrote:

I'm sure they got it off some DMV records, somebody probably got my license plate.

My quesiton is though - are they allowed to search those databases unless a crime is committed? I guess they may need it if they find your car someplace, or you have kids and they have the car. But I can't think of a situation where somehow these people would have to break the law to get attention, like even just a parking ticket. I did nothing, sooo...?

DenWin

imported post

CharlesAFerg wrote:
Phssthpok wrote:
CharlesAFerg wrote:

I'm sure they got it off some DMV records, somebody probably got my license plate.

My quesiton is though - are they allowed to search those databases unless a crime is committed? I guess they may need it if they find your car someplace, or you have kids and they have the car. But I can't think of a situation where somehow these people would have to break the law to get attention, like even just a parking ticket. I did nothing, sooo...?
I'm not sure, any one know if DMV records are a public?

murphy2

imported post

Please correct me if I'm wrong. But carrying a pistol or "firearm" in a "hip holster" is legal in the state of Oregon. Even carrying a Concealed handgun is permitted (without a license)if your going "hunting or fishing".?!!. I have read the laws of Oregon and thats how they read to me. Input anyone? If I am correct, which I think I am, It's all nonsense on LEOs part. An "individual" with B**Ls enough to say "I got it handled"irks the powers that be. Oregon is the most communist state in the west, next to California.

grishnav

imported post

DenWin wrote:
I'm not sure, any one know if DMV records are a public?
They were at one point (used to be able to go down to the DMV with $10 bucks and a tag # and get the whole file, address and everything included), but at some point, it was changed.

Either way, a police officer here in Oregon can easily look up a tag number in LEDS/PPDS/etc. through his MDT/MDC, and the records aren't carefully scrutinized. I don't know what the requirement (nothing/ras/pc) for accessing the records is, but I know they run tag numbers all the time without any suspicion of a crime being committed, including, for example, on search & rescue missions.