• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry LE involved "incident" Beaverton Shell Station Cornell/158th/26

CharlesAFerg

Portland/Beaverton/Hillsboro, Oregon, USA
imported post

Shell Station
1220 NW Waterhouse Ave
Beaverton, OR 97006

Was going to Mt. Hood to shoot and such, on the way I stopped at the Shell station to get gas- Left, was on the road to Mt. Hood when...

I Received a call on my cell from an officer stating that somebody reported a man with a gun at the gas station. "Were you carrying a gun at the gas station?"
He said, "8 squad cars were sent to the area..."
and...
"You're not doing anything illegal, but you will cause alarm. We will end up *I forget specifically, but a word directly implying to knock me down* you on the ground."

Curiously, he never asked if I had a permit until I mentioned I would never open carry unless I was legally permitted to, and referencing the loaded firearms ban in Beaverton. He then asked me, "So you do have a license?" I must say I was pleased with the way the officer asked, and how he said it.

Honestly though, regardless of what was said, the officer was friendly and I do appreciate his courtesy and how he gave me his news and his point of view.

So I ask this... A well dressed, clean cut white male with a tasteful German import vehicle... Rob a gas station?
Please, the callers intentions are obvious.

Also, I spoke with a Hillsboro Police friend and he stated that even if you "piss off an officer, you're likely to get your license revoked" Most seriously, and I really hope to get this question answered - If I was to get called like this for carrying regardless of whether I was doing anything wrong or even suspicious, as in just the daily chores and routine things around town - is it a possibility that my license will be revoked? If this is a possibility, I absolutely cannot take that risk - and must cease open carrying.
So if I am regularly being called on, is this basis for revokation?

By the way, first time I have ever actually OCed the weapon.

CharlesAFerg

imported post

Called another line first, an associate of mine gave him the number.

The police officer friend from Hillsboro that I spoke to afterward, is a police officer.
He had nothing to do with this - and I called him about an hour later.

No NAU

imported post

I don't get it? Someone called in a MWAG and gave them your plates? LEO ran the plates, got a phone number, called it and got your cell and called it? If he did all of that he didn't see your CHL come up tagged on your license and then asked you if you had a CHL? If he was that far in your records he had to of seen you had a CHL and then he should have known you were legal wherever you wanted to OC.

"Honestly though, regardless of what was said, the officer was friendly and I do appreciate his courtesy and how he gave me his news and his point of view."

LEO is paid to enforce laws, not editorialize, and you did nothing illegal.

Orygunner

imported post

Sorry, I'm having a heck of a time following how and why a police officer called you. Did someone get your license number, give it the police, then they called your home, and someone there gave the cops your cell number or something?

It would freak me the hell out if I'm going down the road and cops call me to ask me if I was carrying a gun... :shock:Very big-brotherish.

As far as revoking it, read ORS 166.293:
http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/166.html

My understanding is, you can't get it revoked unless you're arrested fora crime that would have disqualified you from getting the License to begin with. If you're not charged, then they have to give it back in 30 days. I am not a lawyer, so read for yourself or consult an attorney.

Remember, talking to the police isn't going to help you...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8z7NC5sgik

...Orygunner...

CharlesAFerg

imported post

Orygunner wrote:
Sorry, I'm having a heck of a time following how and why a police officer called you. Did someone get your license number, give it the police, then they called your home, and someone there gave the cops your cell number or something?

...Orygunner...
To the first part of your quote,
An associate of mine received a call, and forwarded my cell number to the officer. Why they had to call me is ridiculous, why he said that they sent 8 squad cars is even more ridiculous. Does anybody else in Beaverton have experience open carrying on a regular basis? I never see it, ever.

Regarding the second half of your quote,
Indeed, I've watched a few really, really long lectures - and I appreciate the reminded. I most definitely thought of this when I spoke with him.

CharlesAFerg

imported post

No NAU wrote:
I don't get it? Someone called in a MWAG and gave them your plates? LEO ran the plates, got a phone number, called it and got your cell and called it? If he did all of that he didn't see your CHL come up tagged on your license and then asked you if you had a CHL? If he was that far in your records he had to of seen you had a CHL and then he should have known you were legal wherever you wanted to OC.

"Honestly though, regardless of what was said, the officer was friendly and I do appreciate his courtesy and how he gave me his news and his point of view."

LEO is paid to enforce laws, not editorialize, and you did nothing illegal.
To your first statement,
I've heard that it doesn't show up, but I forgot to verify this with my Hillsboro contact, and I was actually meaning to ask him this but I must have forgotten.

" (b) The sheriff may enter into an agreement with the Department of Transportation to produce the concealed handgun license. (6) No civil or criminal liability shall attach to the sheriff or any authorized representative engaged in the receipt and review of, or an investigation connected with, any application for, or in the issuance, denial or revocation of, any license under ORS 166.291 to 166.295 as a result of the lawful performance of duties under those sections.
(7) Immediately upon acceptance of an application for a concealed handgun license, the sheriff shall enter the applicant’s name into the Law Enforcement Data System indicating that the person is an applicant for a concealed handgun license or is a license holder."

Law Enforcement Data System?

To the second statement regarding the officer,
I was happy with the officer, and he was quite friendly. He did give a point of view, not editorialize, when he stated how he would respond to calls like this.

Although I may disagree, I listened and felt good about how he said it. He wasn't Goddy, wasn't trying to lecture me, just sharing how he feels, and I listened without causing an argument. He was fairly eloquent and well spoken, but you could tell he just wasn't the type to support open carry. I was glad that he emphasized that I was absolutely not doing anything wrong, he was happy that I listened, but as I said, he definitely didn't want to lecture me.
That's what I was referring to, hopefully it didn't come off as negative banter.

ps I apologize for the double post, I was going to copy & paste the two quotes together but forgot before I sent.

imported post

CharlesAFerg wrote:
Orygunner wrote:

...Orygunner...
To the first part of your quote,
An associate of mine received a call, and forwarded my cell number to the officer. Why they had to call me is ridiculous, why he said that they sent 8 squad cars is even more ridiculous. Does anybody else in Beaverton have experience open carrying on a regular basis? I never see it, ever.

Regarding the second half of your quote,
Indeed, I've watched a few really, really long lectures - and I appreciate the reminded. I most definitely thought of this when I spoke with him.
the man who owns beaver creek armory open carrys everyday and has for years and years.

DenWin

imported post

I actually e-mailed Beaverton PD about this and here is the response I got:

Mr. Xxxxxxxxxxx,

Yes, you are correct in your interpretation of this law. However, you need to be aware that even with your CHL, you cannot carry your weapon into any government building (i.e., courthouse, city hall, social security office, etc.) or school.

Thank you.

I e-mailed them again regarding schools and state owned/operated buildings such as city hall, but still haven't gotten a reply from that one yet.

CharlesAFerg

imported post

DenWin wrote:

Mr. Xxxxxxxxxxx,

Yes, you are correct in your interpretation of this law. However, you need to be aware that even with your CHL, you cannot carry your weapon into any government building (i.e., courthouse, city hall, social security office, etc.) or school.

Thank you.

I e-mailed them again regarding schools and state owned/operated buildings such as city hall, but still haven't gotten a reply from that one yet.

Precisely, but a gas station is a whole other story.

I'm curious as to the extent of an officers authority to slap something like public disturbance or disturbing the peace if they make it sound as such, regardless of if I'm just going in and paying for gas like I always have without my weapon, and without a second thought. Of course, it's better not to talk to police if they do show up, because there is always the possibility of you talking yourself into your own predicament.

DenWin

imported post

From what I have understood from most of the Oregon thread, as long as you don't clear leather you are good in Oregon. Also, don't point it out, especially if you're argueing, because then THAT could be considered menacing.

CharlesAFerg

imported post

DenWin wrote:
From what I have understood from most of the Oregon thread, as long as you don't clear leather you are good in Oregon. Also, don't point it out, especially if you're argueing, because then THAT could be considered menacing.
Of course.

Law enforcement would likely see it as a precursor to an imminent confrontation, and pummel you to the deck.

DenWin

imported post

CharlesAFerg wrote:
Of course.

Law enforcement would likely see it as a precursor to an imminent confrontation, and pummel you to the deck.

Exactly, and getting pummelled by LEO is never a good thing for the following reasons:

1 - They have collapsible batons, which hurt

2 - They have pistols, which also hurt

3 - They have a badge which they may believe gives them authority to use such force

4 - They have a radio to call other LEOs with items 1, 2, and 3

CharlesAFerg

imported post

DenWin wrote:
Exactly, and getting pummelled by LEO is never a good thing for the following reasons:

3 - They have a badge which they may believe gives them authority to use such force

Yes, but I would be cooperative - considering I know this is a risk if I open carry, but as long as it doesn't hurt me legally or hurt my livelyhood by violating my rights and have some bogus charge on my record, I'll have to deal with it while maintaining my vigilance and help the public understand so that these things DON'T happen.

I'll have to be careful about these kinds of situations.

Like I said, 8 squad cars to that location, the officer said so himself.
I'm glad I wasn't there.

NevJohn

imported post

DenWin wrote:
CharlesAFerg wrote:
Of course.

Ah yes, the RODNEY KING SYNDROME...

Sure strange they'd call you on the cell and quiz you instead of pulling you over.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

DenWin wrote:

Mr. Xxxxxxxxxxx,

Thank you.

Hey,

Forward me this email please. I have a training bulletin from BPD that says otherwise. Social Security is unlawful, but city hall is not. Please forward me an unedited email to me so I can email this person along with BPD.

DenWin

imported post

CharlesAFerg wrote:
DenWin wrote:

Yes, but I would be cooperative - considering I know this is a risk if I open carry, but as long as it doesn't hurt me legally or hurt my livelyhood by violating my rights and have some bogus charge on my record, I'll have to deal with it while maintaining my vigilance and help the public understand so that these things DON'T happen.

I'll have to be careful about these kinds of situations.

Like I said, 8 squad cars to that location, the officer said so himself.
I'm glad I wasn't there.
Glad we're on the same page :cool:

DenWin

imported post

Lonnie Wilson wrote:
DenWin wrote:

Mr. Xxxxxxxxxxx,

Thank you.

Hey,

Forward me this email please. I have a training bulletin from BPD that says otherwise. Social Security is unlawful, but city hall is not. Please forward me an unedited email to me so I can email this person along with BPD.
I'll get the e-mail sent to you. If you could, I'd like to take a look at the BPD training bulletin. Either a post, link, or just attatch and send a reply to my e-mail. Thanks.